PDA

View Full Version : DC to awarded ATP points

malakas
05-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Players Vote to Uphold Back-to-Back Tennis Masters Series
by Richard Vach

After complaints by world No. 1 Roger Federer and other top players regarding back-to-back weeks of Masters Series events on the ATP calendar, there was a peculiar vote by player representatives to uphold the eventís calendar positions on the planned 2009 schedule.

At the ATP Player Council meeting this week during the French Open, ATP Chairman Etienne de Villiers convinced Player Council members Ivan Ljubicic, James Blake, Thomas Johansson, Kevin Ullyett, Bob Bryan, Paul Goldstein, Riccardo Piatti, David Adams, and player representatives Iggy Jovanovic, Perry Rogers, Jacco Eltingh of the advantages of the back-to-back newly-christened ďMasters 1000″ events.

The ATP calendar currently has back-to-back Masters Series hardcourt events in March at Indian Wells and Miami, albeit with a few days rest for players before the Miami start, and back-to-back events without any rest on clay in May at Rome and Hamburg during the lead-up to the French Open.

In August the calendar has another set of back-to-back hardcourt events without a rest at Montreal/Toronto and Cincinnati.

There is also the current controversy on the menís circuit as the ATP attempts to trim their Masters Series/Masters 1000 roster of the events in Monte Carlo and Hamburg, while at the same time many of the top players such as Federer and Rafael Nadal have rallied to protect the status of the storied events.

In defending the back-to-back events you have to believe de Villiers spun a smooth presentation of tennisí media opportunities during the consecutive week events, and opportunities to possibly make some of the events co-ed to create Slam-like events.

Also discussed was allowing the Masters Series-Indian Wells event a Thursday start in the future, and the ongoing negotiations to grant ATP points for Davis Cup play. http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/******.gif http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/******.gif http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/******.gif

Blowback from the OK-ing for continued back-to-back Masters Series events in 2009 will likely come only from the top, since at the moment only Federer or Nadal seem able to contest finals in consecutive weeks at the top events, while losses by other players gives them the necessary rest. Doubles players can revel in the fact that another Player Council meeting went by without their sport being further slashed.

http://www.tennis-x.com/vachblog/2007-05-31/55.php

Mr Disney has stiked again.http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/notworthy.gif

J-man
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Then you lose the whole play for your country aspect. People just play for points. What happened for Patriosm and Team sprit. But it will get Federer and Nadal to play. Hell if you start awarding points why not some money?! geee...........

Moose Malloy
05-31-2007, 05:24 PM
They get points for the World Team Cup, don't they? so what's the difference?

I'm more interested in this:

After complaints by world No. 1 Roger Federer and other top players regarding back-to-back weeks of Masters Series events on the ATP calendar, there was a peculiar vote by player representatives to uphold the eventís calendar positions on the planned 2009 schedule

The players aren't the brightest lot, huh?

zapvor
05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
interesting stuff. i agree patriotism should be the motivation,not points. geez...

J-man
05-31-2007, 06:34 PM
They get points for the World Team Cup, don't they? so what's the difference?

I'm more interested in this:

The players aren't the brightest lot, huh?The difference is that no one really pays that much attention to World Team Cup. There's really no reason to hold that worthless crap in the first place. 2 players represent a country. It's really similar to Davis Cup isn't it?:roll:

EliteNinja
05-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I say put points on everything and put a cap on how many tourneys you can enter before a scaling penalty.

So if the cap was 25 tournaments and you entered in 35 at the end of the year and you had 1000 ATP points,

Your points would be scaled: 1000*(25/35)

down to: 714pts:p

rfprse
05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Awarding points for Davis Cup matches? To which level of competition? World Group only? Or any d. c. matches? It's another b.s.
I don't see how they can make it work fair. It's not fair for someone to be able to get (more) points just because he is born in a strong tennis country which can form a good team.

Btw, what happened to the guarantee "there's not going to be back to back masters in the new calendar". (umm...and wasn't it supposed to be coming from a concern for players health, to reduce the (excuse for) withdrawal, and one of the alleged reason to remove m.c and hamburg from the series?)

malakas
06-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Awarding points for Davis Cup matches? To which level of competition? World Group only? Or any d. c. matches? It's another b.s.
I don't see how they can make it work fair. It's not fair for someone to be able to get (more) points just because he is born in a strong tennis country which can form a good team.

No,they think awarding points to davis cup matches.!:rolleyes:

The players aren't the brightest lot, huh?

Btw, what happened to the guarantee "there's not going to be back to back masters in the new calendar". (umm...and wasn't it supposed to be coming from a concern for players health, to reduce the (excuse for) withdrawal, and one of the alleged reason to remove m.c and hamburg from the series?)

I don't know what Mr Disney says to persuade the players but it seems to be working!Yes,that was the alleged reason and many top players have made interviews complaining about that and now they have agreed on back to back again.:roll:

But Ljubo has said,that there hasn't been yet a definite desicion about the new masters.Still it's due for before Wimby.

malakas
06-01-2007, 01:55 AM
btw it's a big difference between Davis Cup and World Team Cup.Only a couple of countries play in WTC and only for a week or so while DC takes up for several weeks every year,all around the world.So the points one could gain this way,would be much more than in WTC.

Besides,noone really pays much attention to WTC anyway.

DC should be about the patriotism not about the points.

LeftyServe
06-01-2007, 03:22 AM
It's my understanding that no points are awarded for World Team Cup.

LeftyServe
06-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Federer can't really be worrying about the points, can he? If he's not playing Davis Cup because he's concerned about his ranking points, then there's really something a little off in his psyche. I'd hate to see a decision to start awarding points and see someone like Federer, who's been so indifferent, be the beneficiary. It's the guys who consistently support their country that deserve point recognition, guys like Safin, Nalbandian, Hewitt. How about a guy like Ferrer who was on the team for the US tie in April -- didn't even play -- but sacrificed preparation for the next week's tourney in his hometown of Valencia.

rfprse
06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
No,they think awarding points to davis cup matches.!:rolleyes:
? :confused: just in case my post wasn't clear....

I was wondering what would be the point scheme for doing that.
Is it going to be the same points for playing any rounds in any group/level?
I don't think they will do that if they were to assign points for davis cup playing.

So, my question was if it's fair to assign atp points to davis cup play.
I don't think it is, for giving more points to higher rounds (or groups) makes someone's nationality too much of a factor at deciding how many points he will get for davis cup playing.

It's already good for those who have a major in his country because of the benefit of the wild card.
If davis cup awards ranking points, it's another way of getting nationality systematically into one's ranking, let alone a player's being part of a strong team shouldn't mean much in terms of individual tennis ability/result (which tour ranking is supposed to reflect) when compared to another player who has a same tour result but no luck of having strong enough teammates.