sseemiller
03-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Post deleted.

sseemiller
03-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Post deleted.

James Brown
03-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the great report, very entertaining. I got some quick questions if possible :>

What exactly do you do? I realize the article mentioned press, but can you specify? inquiring minds want to know! :>

Why is rafael wearing women's breathe frees?.....is that the new style or something? :>

Did you ever ask him what the hell he does as a workout regime? JESUS his arms are TREE trunks...hes a few months older than me and i look like a poodle compared to his uh golden retriever?

Does he speak absolutely no english at all? How did you get in contact with his coach/manager with the language barrier? (before the translator at dinner)

do you always get to have dinner/conversations with tennis rock stars? hehe

Thanks in for the great report.

sseemiller
03-16-2004, 01:56 AM
(1) What exactly do you do? I realize the article mentioned press, but can you specify? inquiring minds want to know! :>

I do part-time tennis writing for a daily tennis news publication, and some freelance items here and there. It's a very serious hobby.

(2) Why is rafael wearing women's breathe frees?.....is that the new style or something? :>

Don't really understand this question. :?

(3) Did you ever ask him what the hell he does as a workout regime? JESUS his arms are TREE trunks...hes a few months older than me and i look like a poodle compared to his uh golden retriever?

I've read interview responses on it, but I seem to recall that he trains 4-5 hours a day, and about 2 hours are off-court training. I may be a bit off on it, but it's about right. As some of the ladies at IW said, this kid is "ripped" for being 17.

(4) Does he speak absolutely no english at all? How did you get in contact with his coach/manager with the language barrier? (before the translator at dinner)

He has some English, but it's limited. Having said that, he is fluent in Spanish, and also Catalan and Mallorqui (and apparently Catalan is very close to French). He is working on his English, though. At times he said gracias to us, and at other times, said thank you. His coach's English is better, and we could converse some. But the translation help was great.

(5) do you always get to have dinner/conversations with tennis rock stars? hehe

No. I've been going to tournaments for years, and have done websites for two players (Roddick and Nadal). They have shown appreciation for the work we have done. But if I see a player in the elevator in the hotel and want to say hello, wish them luck or something, I will. They like that kind of thing. It's just not the time to ask for autographs, photos and such. You do that on the tennis grounds, but I no longer do that sort of thing unless it relates to a site/item I am working on.

Hope this answers all your inquiries. :lol:

James Brown
03-16-2004, 06:49 AM
thanks for the answers susan.

in reference to him wearing women's breathe frees. Im referring to the pictures in the article you posted. like this one here.

http://www.tennisone.com/magazine/iwells/sweeney/nadalback.jpg

hes wearing women's breathe free tennis shoes...any info on that? is it because they are lighter or something?

sseemiller
03-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Oh, the famous silver shoes? Quite fashionable, aren't they?

He started wearing them this year. We noticed them in Auckland. Don't know why, and my Spanish is too limited to ask him. :lol: He'd probably think I was asking him for his shoes.

But if I hear anything on it, I'll post it.

Susan