PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Gaudio has the best one-handed backhand in pro tennis

BreakPoint
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
After watching the first two sets of the Gaudio-Hewitt match this morning, I just have to say that Gaudio definitely has the best 1HBH on the ATP Tour. That thing is an absolute monster! He whips it with so much pace its scary. He can hit amazing crosscourt angles with it as well as crank it with phenomenal precision down the line. His DTL backhand is like a laser guided missle that travels perfectly parallel with the sideline and then lands exactly in the corner almost every frickin' time. It's just amazing. :-o

So I just have to crown Gaudio as having the best 1HBH on tour. :grin:

Second is Haas, and Federer is third IMO. Gasquet might sneak in as fourth IMO.

dima
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
k thanks..

diegaa
05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
After watching the first two sets of the Gaudio-Hewitt match this morning, I just have to say that Gaudio definitely has the best 1HBH on the ATP Tour. That thing is an absolute monster! He whips it with so much pace its scary. He can hit amazing crosscourt angles with it as well as crank it with phenomenal precision down the line. His DTL backhand is like a laser guided missle that travels perfectly parallel with the sideline and then lands exactly in the corner almost every frickin' time. It's just amazing. :-o

his 1hbh down the line is absolutely orgiastic.

psamp14
05-31-2007, 09:05 PM
i have not seen a lot of gaudio's game but his backhand is phenomenal....too bad he's not getting a lot of luck winning matches with it

haas' backhand is superb....another one of my favorite players to watch

thefan
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm not quite familiar with gaston gaudio game, any vids of his backhands?

Zets147
05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
when BP speaks, we must listen since he is GOAT (no sarcasm included here. I promise!)

Andy Hewitt
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM
The same backhand that lost to Hewitt?

BreakPoint
05-31-2007, 09:37 PM
They're showing the end of the Gaudio-Hewitt match right now on TTC.

TalkingTennis91
05-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Dude, Hewitt played a great match and rallied from 2 sets down to win it. No one can win a match exclusively on backhands. Come on ;)

BreakPoint
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
After watching the first two sets, I went to bed thinking there's no way Gaudio could lose this match as he was playing so incredibly well. He just dominated Hewitt on rallies in the 1st and 2nd sets and did whatever he wanted to do. The way Gaudio was playing, I thought he could beat Federer.

How Hewitt came back and won that match still amazes me. :confused:

ShcMad
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I love how Gaudio is able to rip his backhand without any apparent effort. Such a smooth and graceful-looking shot.

sabi
05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I sat and watched Gaudio on the practice courts at Key Biscayne in awe of his backhand. It really is an incredible shot. Plus, I think he and Federer hit their backhands further out in front of themselves than anyone else.

That was practice though. On a fast hardcourt, I'll easily still take Federer's backhand over Gaudio's. Gaston did not look nearly as good in his match (was it against Radek) as he did practicing. And I would probably take Gasquet's and Gonzo's as well. Gonzo cause of the lethal use he displayed at the Australia. Gasquet because seems to have a great mix of power and touch that works on the hard courts as well.

Thoroughly impressed with Gaudio though. He and Gonzo seem to have the tighest grips on the backhand side. Very few people are strong enough to hold that right angle form and rip backhands.

hoosierbr
05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Gaudio has a great one-hander, no question. But my vote goes to Andrei Pavel.

BreakPoint
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Gaudio has a great one-hander, no question. But my vote goes to Andrei Pavel.
I would rate Pavel either #4 or #5 on my list, about tied with Gasquet.

chiru
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
I sat and watched Gaudio on the practice courts at Key Biscayne in awe of his backhand. It really is an incredible shot. Plus, I think he and Federer hit their backhands further out in front of themselves than anyone else.

That was practice though. On a fast hardcourt, I'll easily still take Federer's backhand over Gaudio's. Gaston did not look nearly as good in his match (was it against Radek) as he did practicing. And I would probably take Gasquet's and Gonzo's as well. Gonzo cause of the lethal use he displayed at the Australia. Gasquet because seems to have a great mix of power and touch that works on the hard courts as well.

Thoroughly impressed with Gaudio though. He and Gonzo seem to have the tighest grips on the backhand side. Very few people are strong enough to hold that right angle form and rip backhands.

IMO gonzo has the single most overrated backhand ever. seriously, that shot is barely a rally ball. it makes me laugh when ppl suggest that its comparable (and some say better) than sampras's one hander. In OZ, his slices sat up and lacked the penetration and low to the ground bounce characterized by more natural slicers like federer. I agree that he improved his slice a lot, but by no means was it anywhere near the top few 1h bh's on tour. I mean, gonzalez admits it himself, his backhand is his biggest liability, and the only way to sure that up has been a decent rally ball slice. by no means an effective or great slice, just enough to keep him in the point long enough to set up his forehand (IMO rightfully one of the best in the sport).

sabi
05-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I can see your critique of Gonzo's backhand. And I'm going off his success at the Australian where he destroyed everyone he played not named Federer. He has since come back to earth, as has Federer (although he still floats comfortably above it). The Australian court seemed to play faster than any other court surface out there thus far this year on tour, and Gonzo seemed to take full advantage of that. I love, love Gaston's backhand - the reason why I spent so much time just watching him on a practice court, when there were real matches being played. But he does not win enough matches for me to say that his backhand is considerably or easily better than others. That's why I looked to others re BP's initial post.

I like Gaudio's over Gonzo, but I see Gonzo as being more effective with his, even if that's in large part to set himself up for the forehand. And if Blake were dominating this year, I'd pick his backhand over Gonzo's and Gaudio's. I think the courts, at least the US master series courts were slowed this year making the game less friendly to flat ball hitters like Gonzo, Blake, and to a lesser extent Roger. So their successes have been muted somewhat.

Anyway, lookswise Gasquet's is my favorite next to Federer and Henin, but given the looks of his strokes I would like to see him going deeper like Djokovic has done this year.

I can see the critique and I am giving Gonzo the benefit of his improved backhand play at the Australian and some subsequent matches.

Not sure who is saying any of his strokes are comparable or better than sampras'. I don't see that at all.

Will have to check out the Pavel person. Don't recall seeing him.

psamp14
05-31-2007, 10:54 PM
After watching the first two sets, I went to bed thinking there's no way Gaudio could lose this match as he was playing so incredibly well. He just dominated Hewitt on rallies in the 1st and 2nd sets and did whatever he wanted to do. The way Gaudio was playing, I thought he could beat Federer.

i just saw some highlights and gaudio was playing incredibly well...i've got a question on your opinion BP....do you think the form gaudio was in those first two sets could have taken down nadal?

hewitt coming back to win is remarkable, but its hewitt, the drive, the intensity, the attitude....CAMAWWWWWNN!!!!!!!

BreakPoint
05-31-2007, 11:19 PM
..i've got a question on your opinion BP....do you think the form gaudio was in those first two sets could have taken down nadal?

Possible but not likely as Nadal's crosscourt forehand has a lot more topspin on it than Hewitt's crosscourt backhand does, so it would have created more problems for Gaudio trying to nail his backhands from a higher bounce, maybe as high as his shoulder because he's a pretty short guy at 5' 9".

David L
05-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Gaudio played well, but Hewitt pretty much matched him throughout and beat him in the end. He was unlucky to lose the first set. Gaudio has a very nice backhand, very solid. However, it's not a particularly powerful shot. Pace wise, he and Hewitt hit a similar ball. Federer and Nadal have the capacity to overpower him. Gaudio hits a very comfortable pace for both of them. Also, Gaudio does'nt get the speed and whip off his backhand that Federer manages.

edmondsm
06-01-2007, 01:32 AM

It's pretty awesome. To bad we didn't get to enjoy more of it, as he is a total head-case. After he won the FO, and then proceeded to have a good clay season the next year, I thought I would get to watch him for a while. Well, didn't happen, what can you do. You're right though, I would say he's got a top 10 1HBH, all time.

Guga_x
06-01-2007, 02:06 AM
His backhand is about as good as his head is not!!!

The guy was laughing screaming to his entourage during the first set something like:

"This guy doesn't play nothing. I have to do everything. He just pushes it back."

helloworld
06-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Gaudio was amazing in the first two sets, but we all know there is something wrong in his head, so I'm not surprise that Hewitt managed to beat him even though gaudio was playing way better than Hewitt.

TheNatural
06-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Heres how Nadal handles Gaudios best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIRvlyWjjY

at the end the commentator says "both are known for their perseverance and never say die attitude"

Possible but not likely as Nadal's crosscourt forehand has a lot more topspin on it than Hewitt's crosscourt backhand does, so it would have created more problems for Gaudio trying to nail his backhands from a higher bounce, maybe as high as his shoulder because he's a pretty short guy at 5' 9".

TheNatural
06-01-2007, 02:44 AM
by the end he was screaming something like this to his entourage "this guy doesnt run, he makes me do all the dam running"

His backhand is about as good as his head is not!!!

The guy was laughing screaming to his entourage during the first set something like:

"This guy doesn't play nothing. I have to do everything. He just pushes it back."

Batoussai
06-01-2007, 03:47 AM
I second this thread... Gaudio has the best... Every critical tenniseye can see it!

sureshs
06-01-2007, 06:45 AM
He should loan his backhand to Federer for the rest of the FO.

Andres
06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Did you ever doubt it? ;)

What Gaudio does with his backhand has no parallel in the tour. It's amazing. Most people argue about Gasquet, but every time they both play, Gaudio totally outplays and outclasses Gasquet off the backhand wing.

Of course, Gasquet is better on almost everything else, specially the head.

Gaudio is the only one I saw being equal to Nadal's forehand. Nadal completely STOPPED hitting to his backhand.

Ripper
06-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Hewitt didn't win those last three sets, Gaudio lost them, because his brain went in to short circuit.

What do you mean?

ShcMad
06-01-2007, 06:53 AM
The thing about Gaudio's backhand is that he's able to rip shoulder-height backhands all day long with minimal effort. Even though he's a pretty short guy by ATP standards, his opponents never dare to hit high topspin shots to his backhand cuz they know he'll crush it time after time.

thanu
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
One of my favoirte matches to watch is Gaudio vs Agassi in Miami. The first set was an hour and a half.... great rallies. Gaudio was right there with Agassi, but Agassi ended up winning the match. Patrick Mcenroe, Cliff, Agassi all had great things to say about his backhand... during the match they kept talking about it.. Cliff mentioned "he's no slouch on the forhand side either." I do enjoy watching his backhand.. beautiful shot.. and I'm a two-handed backhand player, and I usually like two-hand backhands, but Gaudio is an exception. I hope he gets his mind right, and decides to keep playing.

Thanu

jmverdugo
06-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Both his strokes are really good, hi hits with both wings super smoothly, it is really a beautifull thing to watch, untill the selfdestruction starts...

@wright
06-01-2007, 08:50 AM
I remember that Gaudio/Agassi match, now that you mention it. I would put Gaudio a little ahead of Gasquet in consistency, but I think Richie holds the edge in explosiveness. Both guys handle high backhands with ease, but I've never seen someone crush it like Gasquet does. Neither guy has much fighting spirit though.

jelle v
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
I think Pavel has the best one-handed bh in the game..

ktownva
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Wake up.

1. Gasquet
2. Federer
3. Ljubicic
4. Haas
5. Robredo

Batoussai
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Wake up.

1. Gasquet
2. Federer
3. Ljubicic
4. Haas
5. Robredo

He said whilst dreaming...

Dude, no way Gaudio isn't in that list... Sure those guys have good one-handers and are really nice to look at. But none of these backhands is as effective as Gaudio's... Kick Haas out of there and put Gaudio in your top three...

ktownva
06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
He said whilst dreaming...

Dude, no way Gaudio isn't in that list... Sure those guys have good one-handers and are really nice to look at. But none of these backhands is as effective as Gaudio's... Kick Haas out of there and put Gaudio in your top three...

Sorry, hard for me to vote for a guy Fed double bageled with a bad foot.

@wright
06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
I always wonder why people worship haas' strokes. Sure, his backhand is solid, but to me, it is not nearly as versatile as Federers. Same thing with Ljubo and Robredo, nothing special, but solid.

ktownva
06-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Wake up.

1. Gasquet
2. Federer
3. Ljubicic
4. Haas
5. Robredo

6. Blake
7. Gonzalez
8. Gaudio/Me (tie)

:grin:

jelle v
06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Wake up.

1. Gasquet
2. Federer
3. Ljubicic
4. Haas
5. Robredo

Take the blue pill...

Have you ever seen Pavel playing tennis? That guy's backhand is at least as good as Ljubicic's, Haas' and Robredo's backhand.

Sup2Dresq
06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Gaudio backhand is smooth as butter.

It's a shame a lot of those tennis sites with videos don't show him a lot (1 or 2). It should be studied more.

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Sorry, hard for me to vote for a guy Fed double bageled with a bad foot.
Come on now. That was obviously a tank job by Gaudio as he was probably sick of eating Chinese food and wanted to go home after a long season, so he figured since he had no realistic chance of winning the Master's Cup anyway, why not just collect his big fat check now and go home.

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Have you ever seen Pavel playing tennis? That guy's backhand is at least as good as Ljubicic's, Haas' and Robredo's backhand.
I agree, but I think Gaudio's backhand is just a notch above all these other guys.

javier sergio
06-01-2007, 01:18 PM

same backhand that kicked his *** couple of times before;

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G374&playernum2=H432

ktownva
06-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Come on now. That was obviously a tank job by Gaudio as he was probably sick of eating Chinese food and wanted to go home after a long season, so he figured since he had no realistic chance of winning the Master's Cup anyway, why not just collect his big fat check now and go home.

Good theory, but anyone who saw the match knows it was a simple beat down. I don't remember Gaudio conceding anything.

Orly_Yarly
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM
its official? says who?

lawlz

diegaa
06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
says the GOAT.

kingdaddy41788
06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
it's too bad that the rest of his game (mental and physical) sucks.

diegaa
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
his physical condition is really good, i dont know why people keeps saying its bad. PEOPLE, please, pay more attention to his game and stop posting nonsense.

Polaris
06-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I remember that Gaudio/Agassi match, now that you mention it. I would put Gaudio a little ahead of Gasquet in consistency, but I think Richie holds the edge in explosiveness. Both guys handle high backhands with ease, but I've never seen someone crush it like Gasquet does. Neither guy has much fighting spirit though.

Agree with this and the comment about Haas. I think both Gaudio and Gasquet have a better backhand drive than Federer's. Haas probably exceeds Federer in the DTL backhand drive. But, I doubt any of them comes close to Federer in terms of versatility, i.e., the number of different speeds, spins, depths and angles.

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Good theory, but anyone who saw the match knows it was a simple beat down. I don't remember Gaudio conceding anything.
I don't know. I saw the match and it didn't seem like Gaudio was trying at all. More like he was taking a nap out on the court. ;)

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
its official? says who?

Says anybody that understands tennis.

Orly_Yarly
06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Says anybody that understands tennis.

so anyone that doesnt agree with this statement doesnt understand tennis?

haha good one. this is the level of intelligence people would usually expect from someone like you.

nikdom
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Gaudio indeed has a sweet 1HBH!

fastdunn
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I always wonder why people worship haas' strokes. Sure, his backhand is solid, but to me, it is not nearly as versatile as Federers. Same thing with Ljubo and Robredo, nothing special, but solid.

I totally agree with the versatility and control part but Federer's backhand
is being hit defensive 70-80% of time. But guys like Gaudio, Haas, Kuerten
can go offensive much more often. Haas in his best days used to have really
potent backhand. Then there is this Gasquet's backhand which makes you
go "what?", "is that a tennis shot?".

Compared to these guys, Federer's 1 hander is slightly more on defensive side.
but he has varieties, control and backs up nicely with the rest of his game.

pow
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I like how Gaudio likes to pull trick shots during a match and screw up while doing them. I saw his match with Agassi once and that was embarrassing for Gaudio and his coach.

Gaudio's backhand is ok but it's nowhere near Federer's.

Here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8SVsExV6A&mode=related&search=

6-0 6-0.
First for Federer, First to happen at TMC and it happened in 48 mins. It's kind of sad actually.

Andres
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Gaudio's backhand is ok but it's nowhere near Federer's.
I like how Gaudio likes to pull trick shots during a match and screw up while doing them.

Here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8SVsExV6A&mode=related&search=

6-0 6-0.And of course, you base your entire opinion on the youtube highlights of ONE single match. And the clip only shows 3 or 4 points!

Gaudio has a better backhand drive than Gaudio. Federer has a better slice backhand.

pow
06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
And of course, you base your entire opinion on the youtube highlights of ONE single match.

Gaudio has a better backhand drive than Gaudio. Federer has a better slice backhand.

I've watched a few Gaudio matches back when he was still up in the rankings. Lately it's been kind of hard to follow him on TV. Well it's all opinion and I still feel Federer edges Gaudio in the backhand department by far. Not that Gaudio has a weak backhand or anything.

David L
06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I've watched a few Gaudio matches back when he was still up in the rankings. Lately it's been kind of hard to follow him on TV. Well it's all opinion and I still feel Federer edges Gaudio in the backhand department by far. Not that Gaudio has a weak backhand or anything.Yes, it's obvious Federer's backhand is better in every department. He simply has a lot more stick and variety. On hard, grass and indoor, Gaudio's backhand does not get the time to hold up so well. It is very much a claycourt shot. Taking the ball on the rise and dictating play with it is more of a struggle for him, but it is still a very nice, solid shot.

dennis10is
06-01-2007, 03:23 PM
At the elite level, any male player with a 1bh would have a beautiful looking or at least highly technical backhand. You can't get to the top on the men's side with a weak backhand so by definition it would have to be great.

If you consider that we don't have serve and volleyers any more, these in the past may have serviceable backhand that allow them to neutralize and attack short balls. These days, you have to be able to grind and blast of both wings so of course, the 1bh would all look great.

What I like about Gaudio is the fact that he is short and slight of frame but is able to hit a 1bh hard, heavy and up high. All the things, that so called arm chair experts here and elsewhere say you can't do.

Banger
06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree with Breakpoint as well. Gaudio's Bh is sick. Speaking of backhands, I know it is nowhere near the best onehander but what about Guga's. I love to watch his one hander just because he is so flexible and agile. I dont know maybe it is just me.

aramis
06-01-2007, 03:43 PM
If we're just talking clay courts here, then I'm gonna have to give my vote to the Brazilian. You know who I'm talking about. Guga's 1hbh was a pure money shot. I've never seen someone slide into and hit a strong driving 1hbh as well as Guga. Guys like Gaudio, Fed, Haas, etc. can all slide into a backhand, but they can only hit defensive slice shots when they do so. Not Guga; he could slide and rip the ball at the same time.

mileslong
06-01-2007, 04:31 PM
im not quite sure what that statment means...

oscar_2424
06-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Gaston will bounce back next year.

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Gaudio played well, but Hewitt pretty much matched him throughout and beat him in the end. He was unlucky to lose the first set. Gaudio has a very nice backhand, very solid. However, it's not a particularly powerful shot. Pace wise, he and Hewitt hit a similar ball. Federer and Nadal have the capacity to overpower him. Gaudio hits a very comfortable pace for both of them. Also, Gaudio does'nt get the speed and whip off his backhand that Federer manages.
I disagree. Gaudio's backhand is more powerful than any shot that Hewitt can generate. It's also slightly more powerful than his own forehand.

I just watched Federer's match against Starace and compared to Gaudio, Gaudio hits his backhand much harder than Federer does because it's flatter. Federer hits with more topspin or slice.

NoBadMojo
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
is gaudio in the top50?..how that gives him the best one handed backhand in tennis totally escapes me..it's pretty..it's erratic at times..and his sliced isnt that good. tennis isnt about posing..it's about results..just because a shot is flashy or looks good, doesnt come close to making it the best

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
is gaudio in the top50?..how that gives him the best one handed backhand in tennis totally escapes me..it's pretty..it's erratic at times..and his sliced isnt that good. tennis isnt about posing..it's about results..just because a shot is flashy or looks good, doesnt come close to making it the best
What does Gaudio's ranking have anything to do with it? :confused: In any case, he was ranked #5 not too long ago. But he could be ranked #500 and still have the best 1HBH in pro tennis.

Anyone who understands tennis knows that at the pro level it's 90% mental anyway. And the backhand is just one shot. The serve is a much more important shot - just ask Roddick, Sampras, Ivanisevic, or even Karlovic. You still need to have a forehand, a volley, a serve, a transition game, tactics, strategy, smarts, etc. You can have the best backhand in the world and still hardly ever win if you don't possess any of those other things.

pow
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8SV...elated&search=

I still think this shows my point that his backhand is quite vulnerable, Fed picks at it in all of the points to win with a double bagel.

Andres
06-01-2007, 07:10 PM

I still think this shows my point that his backhand is quite vulnerable, Fed picks at it in all of the points to win with a double bagel.
One match. And the double bagle, in part, was caused precisely because his backhand was off. (Of course, the speed of the court didn't work either)
Don't make me post 100 videos of Federer playing Nadal, and Nadal making Fed helpless on his backhand wing.

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM

His backhand was "off" because he didn't care if he won or lost. When I don't care about winning, everything of mine is "off".

127mph
06-01-2007, 08:07 PM

gasquet 4th, more like first. gasquets is as steady and hard as a 2 hander, yadamean?

The Gorilla
06-01-2007, 08:09 PM
he's 28, much older than I thought.

He needs to get his act together before he runs out of time.

jmsx521
06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I think if we're talking about the Kuerten's great 1HBH (certainly not of today but) from 5 years ago, then we might as well mention the great ones from 10 years ago as well: Korda, Stich, Delaitre, Furlan. Also there were an Israeli and Australian guy from 15 years ago... I can't remember their names. All of these had such dangerous backhands that you might as well hit to their forehand side only... or they blast a 1HBH winner. In terms of pure MPH, I think Korda could outhit any player past and/or present; Tall player with great technique = more MPH!

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 08:40 PM
gasquet 4th, more like first. gasquets is as steady and hard as a 2 hander, yadamean?
Well, that must mean that Gasquet's 1HBH is not as good as Gaudio's then as most good one-handed backhand players can hit the ball harder and are just as steady as most 2HBH players. Even I hit my 1HBH harder than most 2HBH players that I play.

pow
06-01-2007, 09:32 PM
His backhand was "off" because he didn't care if he won or lost. When I don't care about winning, everything of mine is "off".

double bagel... he REALLY turned it off huh?

Andres
06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Yes, he REALLY turned it off that match.
Look at the rest of the scores of their matches:

6-1, 7-6
6-1, 5-7, 6-4
6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6-1, 7-6

Not exactly piece of cakes, right? specially the two in the middle. And the first one (6-1, 7-6) was also on a Masters Cup... on a fast surface.

How can Gaudio battle with Fed? Not because of his forehand, or serve. It's the backhand, that usually outclasses Federer, pretty much like Nadal outclasses him on the Forehand-backhand exchange.

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 09:45 PM
If you're determined to lose the match anyway, why bother to stay out on the court longer than you have to? He's not being paid by the hour after all. He gets the same paycheck whether he loses 6-0, 6-0 or 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. So why put in the effort and hard work and risk possible injury if he's not going to make a dime extra?

Fedace
06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I disagree with this, Oscar hernandez has the best 1-handed backhand i have ever seen. he is the new king of 1-hander.

pow
06-01-2007, 09:55 PM
If you're determined to lose the match anyway, why bother to stay out on the court longer than you have to? He's not being paid by the hour after all. He gets the same paycheck whether he loses 6-0, 6-0 or 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. So why put in the effort and hard work and risk possible injury if he's not going to make a dime extra?

More points... like Robredo beating Blake last year at Shanghai Masters. I'm not sure if there was more/less money involved in the win though.

You'd think he'd get a game or two at least. In the video, his backhand was picked on to end all of the points in the highlights. Both of which Federer read where it was headed and wasn't fast or angled enough for a passing shot.

pow
06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I disagree with this, Oscar hernandez has the best 1-handed backhand i have ever seen. he is the new king of 1-hander.

I haven't seen him play but his neck bends very freakishly in this picture for the one handed backhand.
He can almost turn his head a full 180.

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/gallery/2007/roland2/c6.jpg

BreakPoint
06-01-2007, 10:25 PM
More points... like Robredo beating Blake last year at Shanghai Masters. I'm not sure if there was more/less money involved in the win though.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you get any points for winning matches at the year-end Masters Cup. The points you accumulate during the year get you in, but there's no need for more points once you're already there and playing.

You get more money for each match that you win at the Masters Cup. That's why Robredo had an incentive to win. He knew he could beat Blake and he would also get a much bigger paycheck by beating him. Whereas, Gaudio knew his chances of beating Federer on an indoor hardcourt were slim, so why bust his butt to end up with the same paycheck anyway?

pow
06-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you get any points for winning matches at the year-end Masters Cup. The points you accumulate during the year get you in, but there's no need for more points once you're already there and playing.

You get more money for each match that you win at the Masters Cup. That's why Robredo had an incentive to win. He knew he could beat Blake and he would also get a much bigger paycheck by beating him. Whereas, Gaudio knew his chances of beating Federer on an indoor hardcourt were slim, so why bust his butt to end up with the same paycheck anyway?

I just checked the ATP site to be sure, you get money and points for wins at the TMC.

Andre: Oh and I wouldn't go as far as to say that the highlights show Federer getting outclassed in the backhands.

Andres
06-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Andre: Oh and I wouldn't go as far as to say that the highlights show Federer getting outclassed in the backhands.
Exactly, but that's cause you're only looking at ONE highlights (4 points), on a match when his head was shot down, and he couldn't

And I, on the other hand, I've seen at least a hundred of Gaudio's matches. Including several against Federer. And believe me, Federer's BH wasn't NEAR Gaudio's level.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but you're sticking and basing your opinion to the highlights of youtube of ONE match (and those highlights are exactly 4 points).

Come on, man, get real!

Gugarocks
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Kuerten had the best one handed backhand of all time

AlpineCadet
06-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I haven't seen him play but his neck bends very freakishly in this picture for the one handed backhand.
He can almost turn his head a full 180.

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/gallery/2007/roland2/c6.jpg

He's also pretty interesting to watch when he's frustrated during matchplay. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONYwmW1NJxM

pow
06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Exactly, but that's cause you're only looking at ONE highlights (4 points), on a match when his head was shot down, and he couldn't

And I, on the other hand, I've seen at least a hundred of Gaudio's matches. Including several against Federer. And believe me, Federer's BH wasn't NEAR Gaudio's level.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but you're sticking and basing your opinion to the highlights of youtube of ONE match (and those highlights are exactly 4 points).

Come on, man, get real!

I'm not basing it all on that video. I've seen other Gaudio matches, not usually with Federer though. He's got a long way to go. ;)

pow
06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
He's also pretty interesting to watch when he's frustrated during matchplay. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONYwmW1NJxM

Not great advertising for Diadora shorts.

AlpineCadet
06-02-2007, 11:26 PM
He looks like a weirdo hitting that backhand (http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/gallery/2007/roland2/c6.jpg). O.O

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Well, maybe his 1HBH is not as great as you thought as he was just whipped by a 35 year-old serve and volleyer on clay losing 6-3, 6-0, 6-1 in the last three sets after barely pulling out the first set 7-6. :-( ;)

hopeless
06-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Well, maybe his 1HBH is not as great as you thought as he was just whipped by a 35 year-old serve and volleyer on clay losing 6-3, 6-0, 6-1 in the last three sets after barely pulling out the first set 7-6. :-( ;)

perhaps he was just determined to lose the match?

pow
06-03-2007, 01:42 AM

lol wow nice.

TheNatural
06-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Gasquet's backhand is much better.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Then why did he even bother to fight so hard to win the first set 7-6? :rolleyes:

If you're determined to lose the match, you lose 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Otherwise, you're either not very determined or you're so bad that you can't even hit the ball out of the court nor into the net.

And why would a clay court specialist like Hernandez want to lose a 3rd round match at the French Open, especially against a middle-aged (for pro tennis) serve and volleyer on slow red clay who's very beatable? :confused: It's not like he's playing Federer on a fast indoor hardcourt at the end of year when points don't really matter as much anymore, like Gaudio was.

pow
06-03-2007, 03:09 AM
Then why did he even bother to fight so hard to win the first set 7-6? :rolleyes:

If you're determined to lose the match, you lose 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Otherwise, you're either not very determined or you're so bad that you can't even hit the ball out of the court nor into the net.

And why would a clay court specialist like Hernandez want to lose a 3rd round match at the French Open, especially against a middle-aged (for pro tennis) serve and volleyer on slow red clay who's very beatable? :confused: It's not like he's playing Federer on a fast indoor hardcourt at the end of year when points don't really matter as much anymore, like Gaudio was.

6-0 6-0, I think he should have just called an injury retirement and save himself some energy/embarrassment and a record. (first to be double bageled at the Master's Cup)

hopeless
06-03-2007, 10:11 PM

i only put forth that proposition cuz you suggested that gaudio was determined to lose his match
"If you're determined to lose the match anyway, why bother to stay out on the court longer than you have to? "

he probably wasnt trying his hardest, but to suggest that he was determined to lose it is a bit far-fetched i think.. no sane person would be determined to lose their games, i dont even consider a person who has tanked a match to be determined to lose... unless you love losing and u get a big kick out of it

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 10:41 PM
i only put forth that proposition cuz you suggested that gaudio was determined to lose his match
"If you're determined to lose the match anyway, why bother to stay out on the court longer than you have to? "

he probably wasnt trying his hardest, but to suggest that he was determined to lose it is a bit far-fetched i think.. no sane person would be determined to lose their games, i dont even consider a person who has tanked a match to be determined to lose... unless you love losing and u get a big kick out of it
"Tanking" = "determined to lose the match" in my book.

If it's 6:30pm and you're still out on the court and you have dinner reservations at a very fancy restaurant or a flight to catch at 7:00pm, you'd be pretty determined to lose the match as quickly as possible. ;)

pow
06-03-2007, 10:44 PM

If it's 6:30pm and you're still out on the court and you have dinner reservations at a very fancy restaurant or a flight to catch at 7:00pm, you'd be pretty determined to lose the match as quickly as possible. ;)

If I was Gaudio and I needed to lose, I wouldn't even hustle down those shots and get played around the court in those points against Federer.

Gaudio has a lot of dinner reservations apparently. lol jp

He was up 2 sets against Hewitt but dinner time came around the corner. Darn.

PrinceO3TourOS
06-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Yes I agree Gaudio has the best one-handed backhand in pro tennis :D second is Federer and then Gasquet ;)

pow
06-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes I agree Gaudio has the best one-handed backhand in pro tennis :D second is Federer and then Gasquet ;)

Then Roddick right? ;)

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 10:54 PM
He was up 2 sets against Hewitt but dinner time came around the corner. Darn.
Kind of tough to tank a match because of dinner reservations when your match started at 11:00am like the Hewitt match did, isn't it?

Anyway, if Gaudio had been determined to lose that match, he would have lost the last three sets 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. If you win even one game in a set, then you weren't really determined to lose, were you? I mean how hard is it to hit every ball out or into the net and to double fault on every serve? Anyone who's ever picked up a tennis racquet should be able to do it.

crazylevity
06-03-2007, 11:05 PM
doing that would make it pretty obvious, no? Then you'd be fined for "lack of effort" a la Safin. Maybe he wanted to tank but not make it obvious so he wouldn't be fined.

AlpineCadet
06-03-2007, 11:23 PM

So I guess Guido has horrible time management--horrible enough to not let him finish his pro matches. That's believable. :rolleyes:

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
doing that would make it pretty obvious, no? Then you'd be fined for "lack of effort" a la Safin. Maybe he wanted to tank but not make it obvious so he wouldn't be fined.
Well, I'd say losing 6-0, 6-0 was making it pretty obvious, wouldn't you?

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 11:41 PM
So I guess Guido has horrible time management--horrible enough to not let him finish his pro matches. That's believable. :rolleyes:
I'd say he had perfect time management. If he was determined to lose the match so that he can catch his flight out of China, the best way to do it is to lose as quickly as possible, right? So he lost 6-0, 6-0, right on que. He probably even had time to get a drink at the bar at the airport before boarding his plane. ;)

pow
06-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Kind of tough to tank a match because of dinner reservations when your match started at 11:00am like the Hewitt match did, isn't it?

Anyway, if Gaudio had been determined to lose that match, he would have lost the last three sets 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. If you win even one game in a set, then you weren't really determined to lose, were you? I mean how hard is it to hit every ball out or into the net and to double fault on every serve? Anyone who's ever picked up a tennis racquet should be able to do it.

So I guess Gaudio and any regular tennis beginner are on the same boat right?
Simply because both feel hopeless against the Federer onslaught except maybe the tennis beginner would try a little harder... right...

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 12:38 AM
So I guess Gaudio and any regular tennis beginner are on the same boat right?
Simply because both feel hopeless against the Federer onslaught except maybe the tennis beginner would try a little harder... right...
Huh? What does a beginner have to do with Gaudio? :confused:

If even a beginner knows how to hit the ball into the net, imagine how easy it would be for a pro to do the same.

If you're determined to lose a match, then you lose every point. Seriously, how hard is it to lose a point on purpose in tennis?

hopeless
06-04-2007, 01:03 AM

you also say that "If you're determined to lose a match, then you lose every point. Seriously, how hard is it to lose a point on purpose in tennis?"

so tanking = determined to lose = lose every point?

by that definition many tankers have not tanked before

you may not have tanked b4 but i have (unfortunately), and i was not determined to lose, neither did i lose every point... though i did lose badly whilst believing that i wasnt going to win... obviously id rather have won

i think thats a more accurate definition of tanking than "determined to lose" and losing every point

and with respect to the dinner reservations and flight? haha... err... i prob wouldnt show up or forfeit the game then... if those were more important then why bother playing? (and this is a rhetorical question and no im not asking for more hypothetical scenarios in reponse... thanks)

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 11:10 AM
you also say that "If you're determined to lose a match, then you lose every point. Seriously, how hard is it to lose a point on purpose in tennis?"

so tanking = determined to lose = lose every point?

by that definition many tankers have not tanked before

you may not have tanked b4 but i have (unfortunately), and i was not determined to lose, neither did i lose every point... though i did lose badly whilst believing that i wasnt going to win... obviously id rather have won

i think thats a more accurate definition of tanking than "determined to lose" and losing every point

and with respect to the dinner reservations and flight? haha... err... i prob wouldnt show up or forfeit the game then... if those were more important then why bother playing? (and this is a rhetorical question and no im not asking for more hypothetical scenarios in reponse... thanks)
If you're going to tank and lose anyway, why not do it to the best of your ability? I guess some people are more determined and better at losing quickly than others. ;)

The pros play at the Masters Cup because they are paid to play the matches. They don't get paid if they forfeit. If you got paid $50,000 to play a match or nothing by forfeiting, wouldn't you rather just show up and lose quickly and walk away with your $50,000 check? It's the entertainment business after all.

pow
06-04-2007, 11:25 AM
If you're going to tank and lose anyway, why not do it to the best of your ability? I guess some people are more determined and better at losing quickly than others. ;)

The pros play at the Masters Cup because they are paid to play the matches. They don't get paid if they forfeit. If you got paid $50,000 to play a match or nothing by forfeiting, wouldn't you rather just show up and lose quickly and walk away with your $50,000 check? It's the entertainment business after all.

We should have a "Best Tankers thread" and Gaudio should be #1 cuz he knows how to lose convincingly and act outclassed in a match intentionally quite often. ;)

AlpineCadet
06-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Haha, that's a good one, pow. :P