PDA

View Full Version : santangelo: seriously?

randomname
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
im sorry, but this woman looks like she just wandered on the court after her 3.0 doubles match, her technique is absolutely hideous (who on earth would let her hit like that as a junior?) her movement was terrible and her volleys were downright awful. how on earth did this woman win 2 matches?

Pet
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Yea, and the drive? Is very rare.

J-man
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
im sorry, but this woman looks like she just wandered on the court after her 3.0 doubles match, her technique is absolutely hideous (who on earth would let her hit like that as a junior?) her movement was terrible and her volleys were downright awful. how on earth did this woman win 2 matches?Gotta love womens tennis;)

Really though she looks like a crap player. I have no idea why she hits so flat. She must be annoying to practice with. I hit with girls how hit flat like that and it's hard to do anything with their ball. It' hard to put topspin. It's hard to hit through.

randomname
06-01-2007, 12:55 PM
on a more serious note, why is it that in the wta the players can get away with crap technique while its not so in the atp? i was watching a few matches and their mechanics arnt very sound, atleast compared to the men, most women dont look like they get much weight into their shots at all while the men all practically throw their bodies into the ball. it seems like the only two players who have perfect technique on the wta are mauresmo and henin (and hingis except for her serve)

forzainter
06-01-2007, 01:06 PM
thats because womens tennis is about 1/1000th of the quality of mens tennis, and womens tennis is in really bad shape just now

mileslong
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
i was thinking the same thing, her forehand was just ridiculous. a kind of sideways flat swipe at the ball. her margin for error is like nothing...terrible at the net i dont understand how she got to the tournament much less to this round...

J-man
06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Lol, how the hell did she turn pro. Gives us all hope!

randomname
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
it makes me wonder if that actually was some 3.0 or 3.5 lady and the real santangelo is tied up in a closet somewhere....

Zets147
06-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Lol, how the hell did she turn pro. Gives us all hope!

hahaha just wear a wig and go for it. Starting from the women's challengers lol

Voltron
06-01-2007, 10:07 PM
hahaha just wear a wig and go for it. Starting from the women's challengers lol
Now you know why I've been growing my hair out. ;)

crazylevity
06-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Actually you don't have to have long hair. Look at Amanmarudova. Just start practicing with a sports bra stuffed with some tissue.

Slazenger
06-01-2007, 10:22 PM
:rolleyes: She would double bagel all of you in under an hour.

Her technique is very old school. Looks like she is hitting across and through the ball producing a flat drive with some sidespin. Like you would hit with a wood racquet.

Honestly her strokes (esp her forehand) are ugly. I don't like watching her cuz she looks like a chicken when she hits her strokes but that's where it ends.

Her technique however, is not bad. Her groundstrokes do not break down under pressure.

Aesthetically her game is failing badly but she is a good player and obviously has sufficient game. She hasn't been hot this year, but I remember her doing pretty well last year in some tournaments last year. She is also one of a few wta players willing to take the net when she can.

There are a few male players whose technique I find ugly as well. But tennis isn't all about good looking strokes (though it helps)

TheNatural
06-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Mauresmo is one player whos technique looke very ugly and she doesnt put her body weight behind the ball enough.

on a more serious note, why is it that in the wta the players can get away with crap technique while its not so in the atp? i was watching a few matches and their mechanics arnt very sound, atleast compared to the men, most women dont look like they get much weight into their shots at all while the men all practically throw their bodies into the ball. it seems like the only two players who have perfect technique on the wta are mauresmo and henin (and hingis except for her serve)

kimizz
06-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Of course her style isnt one to copy but shes had years to practise her own game. She is pretty good player on clay, in hamburg she seemed to give a hard time to dementieva. So dont look at the style, look at the results...

Luctator
06-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Problem is, people who are addicted to mens tennis see a WTA player ONCE on a bad day and assume she always plays like that :D

Mara has a very different style of play, she tends to annihilate players ranked under her but struggle alot with top players. She has poweful and extremely flat groundtrokes which put alot of her opponents off and a great serve and great volleys when she's on, though she didn't show that yesterday, and she usually comes to the net quite often on grass and hardcourt.

About her funky tecnique, Mara was born with a deformed foot, which prevents her from running or training as well as she would like to, and of course inhibits her from moving well.