PDA

View Full Version : Borg and Tanner at 1980 U.S. Open

krosero
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Can anyone here tell me about Borg's five-set defeat of Tanner at the 1980 U.S. Open? The score was 6-4 3-6 4-6 7-5 6-3.

Anyone have personal memories of seeing it, or own it on DVD?

I have not been able to find it on DVD anywhere.

tandayu
06-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Can anyone here tell me about Borg's five-set defeat of Tanner at the 1980 U.S. Open? The score was 6-4 3-6 4-6 7-5 6-3.

Anyone have personal memories of seeing it, or own it on DVD?

I have not been able to find it on DVD anywhere.

Rumour said they purposedly schedule the match at night, so Borg is having problem returning the bomb

krosero
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Rumour said they purposedly schedule the match at night, so Borg is having problem returning the bombThe NY Times reported that the match took place during the day.

One thing I'm interested in hearing about is the fifth set -- I read that Borg won 19 straight points on serve.

tandayu
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
The NY Times reported that the match took place during the day.

One thing I'm interested in hearing about is the fifth set -- I read that Borg won 19 straight points on serve.

I mixed up with 1979 match whre Borg lost

Moose Malloy
06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
The NY Times reported that the match took place during the day.

could you post the article?

krosero
06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
could you post the article?I would but all articles before 1981 come up under PDF format.

This is where you would pull it up:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00E10F8355F12728DDDAD0894D1405B 8084F1D3

krosero
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
could you post the article?At my office I can convert PDF files to text, so here it is:

Borg Beats Tanner in 5-Set Struggle

ByNEIL AMDUR

The fifth set, in which many tennis players fear to tread, again became Bjorn Borg's sanctuary yesterday at the United States Open championships. This time Roscoe Tanner was the victim, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

The strong-serving Tanner, who eliminated Borg in four-sets under the lights at the Open last year, led, two sets to one and 4-2 in their quarterfinal match at the National Tennis Center. But if the top-seeded Borg wore the look of a loser unable to penetrate Tanner's armor, he disguised any insecurities in the last two sets with crisp service-return winners and looping topspin passing shots.

From 15-40 in the opening game of the final set, Borg won 19 consecutive points on serve, netting a forehand only after he had broken Tanner in the eighth game and reached triple match point at 5-3, 40-0. A similar string of points, in a magnificently played fifth set, lifted the 24-year-old Swede past John McEnroe in their classic Wimbledon final in July.

Going After the Grand Slam

Although three of five-set matches now are primarily confined to major championships and the Davis Cup, Borg's fifth-set performance log is almost as impressive as his five Wimbledon and French titles. His last loss in the fifth set was to Ilie Nastase in Hawaii four years ago; he has won 13 of his last 14 five-set matches.

Now he is in the semifinals of the world's richest tournament ($654,082), which he has never won. If McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, his potential rivals, exhaust each other in the semifinals, while he warms up against Johan Kriek, who won last night's quarterfinal against Wojtek Fibak in five sets., Borg could achieve the third leg of the Grand Siam by Sunday night.

[snip]

Borg's 2-hour 53-minute duel in the sun with Tanner, before a crowd of 15,509, overshadowed the women's program, in which Tracy Austin, seeded first, and Chris Evert Lloyd, No. 3, prepared for a semifinal meeting.

[snip]

Tanner, beaten by Borg in five sets at Wimbledon last year, had looked forward to this meeting. "It's a game for me to beat Borg," he said after his fourth-round victory over Brian Teacher.

Few players relish facing Tanner's left-handed cannon serve. When he skillfully implements other aspects of his game, such as bending on first volleys and service returns, finding a rhythm against him can be as futile as waiting for a waltz in a discotheque.

The secret of his serve, which accounted for 19 aces and 26 service winners, is in the toss. He catches the ball early, with whip and force, at its highest point on the way up. Because his serve is such a weapon, it puts his opponent under more pressure to hold serve, as Borg found when he lost serve at love and Tanner held for the third set and a 2-1 lead.

Borg started the fourth set more nervously, double-faulting to 15-30 in the opening game before holding and escaping another 15-30 service game at 1-all. That he broke Tanner twice, after having lost his serve in the fifth game and fallen behind, 2-4, was further proof of the extent of his arsenal.

Tanner saved 2 set points at 4-5, 15-40 and held. But at 5-6, as his second spin serve began losing some depth and effectiveness, Borg began to find the range, running around the backhand to hit forehand returns that put Tanner on the defensive. The break for the fourth set came at love, on two service-return winners, a backhand cross-court passing shot and Tanner's forehand volley that sailed long.

Borg's ability to concentrate was underscored in the first game of the final set. Serving at 15-40, he lost control of his wooden racquet, which flew out of his hand and onto the hard asphalt-based court. Under such tense conditions, some players might have served a fault or had difficulty adjusting to a new grip or feel of a racquet. But Borg calmly walked to midcourt, took another racquet from his bag, served the second ball and won the rally on a forehand cross-court passing shot, even after a spectator prematurely shouted "Yes!" in anticipation of a winning volley by Tanner.

"He uses his speed late in the match," Tanner said later of Borg's fifth-set attributes.

Such quickness became even more crucial when Tanner began to feel cramping in his legs while serving at 3-4, deuce. Afterward, Tanner tried to discount the cramps as a factor in the outcome, saying, "I had some problems in my legs, but that's not the reason I won or lost."

However, a point from tying at 4-all, he double-faulted and then lost the game on Borg's winning forehand return down the line on the second serve and a forehand placement down the line.

"Up to the last point, it was a real battle," Borg said.

Moose Malloy
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
thanks krosero. I noticed this:

"His last loss in the fifth set was to Ilie Nastase in Hawaii four years"

-the match that wasn't on atptennis

krosero
06-05-2007, 08:26 PM
thanks krosero. I noticed this:

"His last loss in the fifth set was to Ilie Nastase in Hawaii four years"

-the match that wasn't on atptennisTrue, and there's some discrepancy about that match.

The ITF site lists it as taking place in Keauhou-Kona, Hawaii during the WCT Challenge Cup which took place from Feb. 15 to May 3; the surface is listed as “TBC”. I thought I read somewhere that it was on clay, but I might have it confused with Borg's 1974 loss to Nastase in Madrid. Anyway the ITF site gives the score as 16 63 64 36 46.

The New York Times, reporting from the same city but on May 16, reports that it was for the WCT Challenge Cup and gives the score differently: 61 36 06 63 64.

Either way it doesn't have much of an impact on Borg's streak in five-set matches: it ended at the 1980 U.S. Open; it was either 13 or 14 straight wins. The only five-setter that Borg played between his losses to Nastase in 1974 and 1976 was the match against Laver in Dallas.

kiki
09-28-2013, 06:48 AM
The 1980 US Open is one of the hottesst events ever played in history.

Borg really wanted that win since Roscoe had beaten him at the same stage of the tournament in 1979.He had a very tough path to the title ( he lost it in the fifth set of the final against Mc Enroe but first had to oust humming Tanner in five sets and next humming kriek in five sets and coming from a two sets deficits)

Cuiously, Borg could revert the situation with Kriek, but not agaisnt Mc Enroe, whom he drew at two sets apiece after being two sets down.

The women´s event was huge, with Evert beating both Austin in the semis and Mandlikova in the F ( and Mandlikova had beaten also two of the top 5 girls to reach the final: Jaeger in the semis and Navratilova in the fourth round)