PDA

View Full Version : goran vs. becker

luckyguy
06-01-2007, 09:57 PM
nice stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZjL2YpVdJE

psamp14
06-01-2007, 11:07 PM
oh my god....the way becker moved on that point....federer and nadal are toast! :)

TennisandMusic
06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Just another example of why I think tennis players these days are far worse than their counterparts of the last three decades. :p

AAAA
06-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Over-rated, 1st point : becker hits a volley and Goran hits a poorish slice lob to Becker's backhand side. Becker then hits a backhand overhead cross court. At this point Becker is in the service box deuce side. goran easily runs the bh overhead down. Faced with an an open court dtl goran picks the wrong shot and hits cross court back to where Becker was already stranded. Watch slow motion replay at 27 sec to see how much open court Goran had.

luckyguy
06-03-2007, 10:27 PM
to each his own i guess....

Andres
06-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I have to agree with AAAA. That heavy topspin angled crosscourt forehand was unnecesary. Specially having the entire court open for a DTL push :p

Andres
06-03-2007, 10:48 PM
And now that I look at it closer, Goran's forehand was probably going OUT.
Becker shouldn't have volleyed anyway lol :p

AAAA
06-04-2007, 05:18 AM
http://i11.tinypic.com/6bksmzm.jpg

A freeze frame for those doubters. Goran is about to hit the ball which is around the X mark. Huge open space in circle 1 behind Becker. Instead Goran hits the ball to the circle 2 region which is infront of Becker and much much closer.

Throughout goran's career he has been known for poor shot selection, especially risky drop volleys I have seen him play many times on grass.

In this particular example Becker had just gotten off the floor from area 2 so Goran trying to be real cute tries to go back there. Duh!

Players with good match brains like Sampras, Wilander, Gilbert, Nadal, Hewitt, Chang, etc would almost always have aimed for area 1 in the same situation.

Becker and Goran are both great players but let's not talk up every point as a great point.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2007, 06:27 AM
this point is really amazing.
it's been in my favorite tennis clips for some time...

the only thing that annoys me is that it's not goran who wins it ! ;)

luckyguy
06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
still...it's a great point for me..:)

origmarm
06-04-2007, 08:01 AM
the only thing that annoys me is that it's not goran who wins it ! ;)

Agreed..

(10 Chars)

yourmom08
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
amazing, that's how tennis is supposed to be played if you ask me

laurie
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
This is a very interesting point. I'm sure many will agree, when you watch the slow motion replay, Goran was about to hit the forehand pass and Becker was already in the middle of the court, then actually backtracked and dived to cut off the crosscourt forehand - in other words, Becker was covering the line and Goran decided quickly to go cross court instead. Becker was running to the right when the Goran's ball was struck. Had Goran gone down the line Becker may have cut it off, or Becker may have been beaten but either way Becker was covering the line like all good volleyers do.