PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova and russian language

jelle v
06-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering, since Sharapova is Russian and I don't know her history, can she speak Russian? I can't seem to find a video of her talking the Russian language and I would like to see a video of that :)

Morpheus
06-02-2007, 04:04 AM
Good question. I know she speaks Florida teen pretty well. Gotta believe, though, that some Russian was spoken at home amidst all those palm trees.

forzainter
06-02-2007, 04:07 AM
i reckon she must be able to speak some russian, she moved to florida when she was 7 (?), and im sure your native language wont completely die out especially living with russian people

Andres
06-02-2007, 05:42 AM
She does speak russian, but she has a terrible accent.

J-man
06-02-2007, 06:49 AM
She does speak Russian but like Andres said. But speaks (I wouldnt know for sure I don't speak Russian) supposedly with a bad accent (part of the reason why some of the Russian players are not good friends with her). But she does speak it with her Father and family. So she's fluent

rommil
06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
She does speak russian, but she has a terrible accent.

...and grunts at the end of the sentence.

Golden Retriever
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
It is strange that she speaks Russian with a terrible accent since she was in Russia until 7 and supposedly still speaks it daily with her father.

Max G.
06-02-2007, 10:49 AM
It is strange that she speaks Russian with a terrible accent since she was in Russia until 7 and supposedly still speaks it daily with her father.

Not unusual, unfortunately. I'm Russian and I've kept up with the language since moving here (read a good deal when I was younger, went to language classes, a drama club) but many people I know who moved here to the US in childhood now do indeed speak Russian with an accent, and don't speak it that well.

Sean Dugan
06-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Of course, she speaks Russian.....she's a Russian; albeit an Americanized one.. She may speak Russian with a Siberian accent since that is where her family hails from. Talks about stark contrasts.... Siberia to Florida. Geez!

Beside, if she didn't speak Russian how could she understand all of the on court coaching she receives from Yuri (aka Dadski).

Golden Retriever
06-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Not unusual, unfortunately. I'm Russian and I've kept up with the language since moving here (read a good deal when I was younger, went to language classes, a drama club) but many people I know who moved here to the US in childhood now do indeed speak Russian with an accent, and don't speak it that well.

Hmmm, how come Latino children in the US seem to speak Spanish quite fluently? I guess Spanish is easier than Russian and you can get to see a lot of Spanish television in the US.

Swingin Richard
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM

?? - ???????? ????????????!

Andres
06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmmm, how come Latino children in the US seem to speak Spanish quite fluently? I guess Spanish is easier than Russian and you can get to see a lot of Spanish television in the US.
Because it's easier to find OTHER latinos in the states, and gather around, so you can still speak the language.

I doubt you'll find as many russians.

charlottefromca
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Because it's easier to find OTHER latinos in the states, and gather around, so you can still speak the language.

I doubt you'll find as many russians.

WORD! Have you been to CA? There are MANY places where people look at you funny if you DON'T speak spanish... even if you aren't of hispanic background.

skip1969
06-02-2007, 05:16 PM
WORD! Have you been to CA? There are MANY places where people look at you funny if you DON'T speak spanish... even if you aren't of hispanic background.
yeah . . . or how bout miami! it's crazy. and i'm latino.

Ripper
06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Who cares.