PDA

View Full Version : My French Open experience

Gugarocks
06-02-2007, 05:57 AM
My dad wanted to take me to the French Open as a gift for my birthday.
He took a day off on friday ( day six of the tournament ) because federer and the other big guns played on that day. ( my dad is a great guy ) We wanted to make sure that we could see them so we checked the Roland Garros - website and it said " Tickets for the main courts are available during the first 9 days of the tournament ". The main stadium was not filled at all during the first 5 days so I had good hopes to get into the stadium. We left home in the middle of the night, travelled by car, by train, by TGV and by metro to get to Paris. We arrived in Paris at 7am and it costed my dad over 320 euros to get there.
When we arrived at the stadium, there was a huge crowd waiting for tickets. We waited for another 90 minutes to make it to the entrance ( where they sell tickets )

The lady said " There are no more tickets for the main courts ". I crashed, I had never been so disappointed before. No federer, no Henin, no Nalbandian, no Davydenko.. Just some ****ing mixed doubles. I saw my dad's eyes and he was almost crying. We paid 20 euros for those worthless tickets and went home early. We wanted to watch Canas, but the stadium of court 7 was so small that we couldn't get in there. The total day costed my dad 400 euros and we hadn't seen anything. I tried to tell him that it wasn't a disaster but I really couldn't hide my disappointment.

It may have been my fault, maybe I should have bought tickets on the internet. But buying tickets over internet is risky because a lot of the tickets are fake + yo can't know if federer plays on a certain day if you buy them in advance + it might rain all day. The stadium was full of foreign guys selling very expensive fake main court tickets ( they asked for 150 euros ), but the police didn't stop them.

I must admit that I'm ****ed. I think that saying " Tickets for the main court are available during the first 9 days " is a trick to sell the tickets for the small courts when all these disappointed people arrive there. Very very many people were disappointed and bought this stuff.

My advice for Roland Garros fans :

NEVER GO TO ROLAND GARROS WITHOUT TICKETS FOR THE MAIN COURTS
NEVER BUY TICKETS FROM FRENCH GUYS HANGING AROUND AT THE STADIUM

Fedexeon
06-02-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm sorry for you man. You must be very disappointed.
The main courts ticket is for the Suzane Lenglen court and Philip Chartier court?

Gugarocks
06-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry for you man. You must be very disappointed.
The main courts ticket is for the Suzane Lenglen court and Philip Chartier court?

Yes it is, it's where all of the high seeded players play. There were only 4 or 5 small courts available, and they have a very small capacity. I was able to see Ferrero - Youzhny, Vaidisova - Stosur and Robredo - Tipsarevic though, but I missed Federer, Nalbandian, Henin, Venus and Serena Williams, Davydenko and some others. I wanted to watch Vliegen vs Canas too because I'm from Belgium, but the stadium was full after Vaidisova's match. There were only 12 people waiting in front of me and my dad, but those French guys only let someone in when someone else goes out. And of course nobody left during the match ...

It's sick if you imagine, paying money for those tickets and not even being able to see a match at court 7.

idj49
06-02-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm sorry for your bad experience but I would have never left my house and spent all that money without having my tickets first. I'm sure that there were some reputable outlets to buy the tickets online. Something like Ticketmaster that we have in the States.

Gugarocks
06-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry for your bad experience but I would have never left my house and spent all that money without having my tickets first. I'm sure that there were some reputable outlets to buy the tickets online. Something like Ticketmaster that we have in the States.

You're absolutely right. I wanted to buy them, but those tickets must be bought more than a month before the tournaments starts. I could have bought 2 tickets for the men's 3rd round ( expecting to see Roger Federer ), but than there is a possibility that he doesn't play on the day that I'm in Roland Garros. Next year I will buy them in advance, I just hope to get lucky with the draw and with the weather.

Thiseas
06-02-2007, 01:32 PM
If you played your cards right you would have been able to watch more matches. I was at RG on monday and tuesday. I had tickets for the Suzane Lenglen court on monday and tuesday I had a ticket for the Philip Chartier. Those tickets give you acces to all the smaller courts too. On those smaller courts I was able to see Delic-Ferrero, Blake -Karlovic, Chela -Santoro. You just have to choose the court that you like and get there before 11 o'clock.if you are late you should wait outside a court for a match to finish.

radon8
06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I just spent the first week at RG. Had a pass from a player so I could see all the matches, but some friends wanted to come so I checked on the internet before and saw that there was no way to buy a ticket. Check online next time and buy early!!!

J-man
06-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Man that really blows. I hope some time you and your Dad are able to go to another GS. But like everyone said make sure next to have your tickets in hand with you.

tennishead93
06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
why by tickets when u can work ur arse off to play on Philipe Chatrier

CivicLx
06-02-2007, 08:25 PM
damn that sucks it cost your dad so much money and you ended up disappointed but I'm glad you were able to see some other good players.

was that the first pro tournament you had ever been to?

Gugarocks
06-03-2007, 02:45 AM
damn that sucks it cost your dad so much money and you ended up disappointed but I'm glad you were able to see some other good players.

was that the first pro tournament you had ever been to?

We have been to Rosmalen too, it's a grass court tournament in Holland. It was easy to get in there though but there were only a few good players.
I'm watching RG now and I see lots of empty seats on the center court. The tickets have been bought by sponsors but they don't show up, that sucks for people who really want to get in there.