PDA

View Full Version : Pete v Mac Boston 2007 (YouTube)

tHotGates
06-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Finally, someone is uploading these matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smCGyScNg1w

forzainter
06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
cool video, thanks for posting

laurie
06-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Aha! This should be interesting to see how Mac responds to Sampras' serve constantly hitting lines.

psamp14
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
good stuff, thanks :)

armand
06-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Does Mac have a wrist??

zapvor
06-03-2007, 11:55 PM
thanks for the link. that was great.

edit: after watching, it looked to me like Pete was going easy on the Mac. the final score was 6-3 6-4!

Rob_C
06-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Those commentators dont know ****. They said Pete played Mac in the 1st rd of the US Open in '90, any knowledgable tennis fan would know they played in the semis.

Cobra Tennis
06-10-2007, 03:26 PM
thanks for this!

WhiteSox05CA
06-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Sampras you're the man! G.O.A.T.! I wish Champions Cup came to Chi-town.

Haha, I love Mac just staring at the line. Pete's still got the goods!

Kirko
06-10-2007, 06:12 PM

that was great! McEnroe makes teenis look like playing cards, that is all you really have to do is be sound player eg. no weak links.

keithchircop
06-11-2007, 01:50 AM
sampras played very well for a senior. johnny mac got beaten by rios last year so i'm not surprised with his performance.

sampras didn't play anywhere as good as people were saying - "his comeback". he's serving a little faster thanks to his new gear and that's that. before diehard fans start talking about "sampras at wimby 2008", rest assured it won't happen as sampras doesn't want to get murdered.

the exhibitions against federer are as far as this "comeback" will go.

35ft6
06-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Watched the Mac versus Korda match from this event. Mac is a true mental case. I felt really bad for the chair ump, he was taking a lot of unnecessary abuse. Talk about white privilege, no black person could ever behave that way in sports so consistently and be loved as a folk hero. He was yelling at the audience, hit a ball at Korda, made ****** noises to taunt the line judge, and swore in front of children multiple times.

35ft6
06-16-2007, 05:31 PM
sampras didn't play anywhere as good as people were saying - "his comeback". he's serving a little faster thanks to his new gear and that's that. before diehard fans start talking about "sampras at wimby 2008", rest assured it won't happen as sampras doesn't want to get murdered. It didn't look to me like he was serving faster, but you're right, he was not playing that great. Then again, he was playing Mayotte in the match I saw, so maybe he was holding back. Mayotte looked like he was about 65 pounds over his playing weight.

But Sampras served harder with his old, heavier racket back in the day. He was hitting his backhand well but, then again, he had a lot of time. Against Mayotte.

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Watched the Mac versus Korda match from this event. Mac is a true mental case. I felt really bad for the chair ump, he was taking a lot of unnecessary abuse. Talk about white privilege, no black person could ever behave that way in sports so consistently and be loved as a folk hero. He was yelling at the audience, hit a ball at Korda, made ****** noises to taunt the line judge, and swore in front of children multiple times.

Mac swore at the guy in the audience who said 'cmon john' against pete here in this match. Yea i think he really is mental, no class, even pete got a little upset when he stared at that serve a foot long. It's funny for a while, he is a joker, but can only take so much. He must of got his azz kicked in NY growing up plenty of times. He takes things just too far.

laurie
06-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Mac swore at the guy in the audience who said 'cmon john' against pete here in this match. Yea i think he really is mental, no class, even pete got a little upset when he stared at that serve a foot long. It's funny for a while, he is a joker, but can only take so much. He must of got his azz kicked in NY growing up plenty of times. He takes things just too far.

What's even more incredible i s that he's almost 50 years old and you would he think he knows better by now than acting like a jerk.

TheNatural
06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Mac looked useless once rallys went a few shots and Sampras hit a couple of forehands and he had to runside to side. He also looked useless in rallys vs Rios, like Rios was toying with him. BUt he's almost 50, so he runs pretty well for an old guy.

35ft6
06-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Mac swore at the guy in the audience who said 'cmon john' against pete here in this match. Yea i think he really is mental, no class, even pete got a little upset when he stared at that serve a foot long. It's funny for a while, he is a joker, but can only take so much. He must of got his azz kicked in NY growing up plenty of times. He takes things just too far. I get the feeling that Mac with his rich powerful attorney dad, plus being a star athlete in soccer and tennis, bullied a lot of people and always got away with it.

Somebody could say that it's part of the act, that people WANT to see Mac being crazy, even expect and demand it, but in the match against Korda, you could see that the crowd was very tense. People who were smiling with their children next to them earlier were tense and stone faced by the end. I would almost have been tempted to take my kids home if I were one of those people. His behavior was deplorable.

CyBorg
06-18-2007, 05:59 AM
McEnroe has got to have some kind of a chemical imbalance in the brain. It's amazing that such behaviour from him is just laughed off as 'cute' and 'funny'.

If we saw this kind of behaviour from a female tennis player (regardless of skill) she would be villified in the press and stoned in public. Yet so many of us celebrate McEnroe - the mad hatter that he is.

The double standard continues.

snapple
06-18-2007, 06:18 AM
I was also at the Mac/Korda match and couldn't believe what a jerk Mac was. No way this is all an act...just think he's unable to control himself, and correctly figures he can get away with whatever he pleases. All that said, the man still has unbelievable touch, and now with the new tech it even seems like he's hitting the ball harder than back in the day.

35ft6
06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
^ I saw it on TV, by the way. I've seen him hit in person and people would be amazed by how hard he actually hits. It's deceptive power because he doesn't really take a huge cut at the ball, but hits very early and pretty flat.

zapvor
06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
i think people do expect that from him though. its almost a trademark. but yea it needs to go.

christo
06-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Mac couldn't beat a good satellite player, he's as slow as molasses. Even Pete looks pedestrian and I know he takes pride in his performance. Look at his record in WTT, that tells you how weak you are when you get over 30.

superstition
06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Mac couldn't beat a good satellite player, he's as slow as molasses. Even Pete looks pedestrian and I know he takes pride in his performance. Look at his record in WTT, that tells you how weak you are when you get over 30.
I think it's absurd how people keep trashing him for his level of play. I saw him play senior matches last year on the Tennis Channel and he was amazing against Todd Martin and other players. Yes, he's slow and doesn't hit as hard as Nadal. He's also not 20 years old!

Frankly, ignoring his tantrums, I'd rather watch him play than most of today's big hitters. Why? Because his game style is unique and his volleys can be really impressive.

A lot of people have credited McEnroe and Connors for popularizing tennis in the USA, so there are people who found tennis more exciting because of their unpolished behavior. Plenty of people found Sampras boring and didn't enjoy watching him play.

kaztennis
06-22-2007, 11:18 PM

Great post! Thanks!

35ft6
06-23-2007, 05:31 AM
I think it's absurd how people keep trashing him for his level of play. I saw him play senior matches last year on the Tennis Channel and he was amazing against Todd Martin and other players. Yes, he's slow and doesn't hit as hard as Nadal. He's also not 20 years old! He hits harder now than when he was 20, but he's definitely lost several steps.

He hits very early, cuts off angles, hits half volley groundstrokes, therefor he moves a whole lot less than, say, a clay courter who stands 15 feet behind the baseline would.

But for a set or set and a half, on a fast indoor surface, Mac can still ball with just about anybody. Don't forget he thrashed Andy Murray 6-1 only 2 years ago. It's just his stamina.

alkibiades
06-24-2007, 09:27 AM
^ I saw it on TV, by the way. I've seen him hit in person and people would be amazed by how hard he actually hits. It's deceptive power because he doesn't really take a huge cut at the ball, but hits very early and pretty flat.

McEnroe absolutely knocks the cover off the ball. When you watch him on tv you tend to focus on how short and effortless his strokes look, but he just punishes the ball, basically flat with just a little roll over the top for control. And he has no trouble at all, to this day, handling pace; if he can get to the incoming ball in time, the harder it's coming, the better he likes it. Same with his return. The one thing he has trouble with is high bouncing balls, because he uses a Continental grip for everything.

I think people assume JMac's groundstrokes were suspect because he came in all the time, but he never did that because he was afraid to rally, he just thought the percentages were in his favor.

And yes, his behavior is often deplorable, especially at his age. But he played the most beautiful tennis ever. The man is a freak of nature; Federer is the only other player who can even be mentioned in the same breath as far as natural talent and hands. There will never be another. I remember him playing and beating Chang at the French the year before he won. After the match, Bud Collins was talking to Chang, and Chang, who was very young (16 or 17), said that he had never played anyone who played similarly to Mac, and Collins just laughed and said, "Well, Michael, nobody else has either!"

35ft6
06-26-2007, 05:59 AM
^ His drop shot seems to defy the laws of physics. There was one shot I saw him hit against the clubs top teaching pro, it was like a regular slice backhand, it had pace, but it just dropped all of the sudden and died. Crazy.