PDA

View Full Version : does Fed fear Canas or Volandri more?

TheNatural
06-02-2007, 12:03 PM
They are both still alive in his section of the draw. Which do you think he fears most on clay? SInce both beat him recently, he must have some level of fear for both opponents. He could even have to play them both , one after the other, or none of them.

kingdaddy41788
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't think he's afraid. He's played amazingly this week and recently beat Nadal. Do you think Nadal is afraid of Federer? I doubt it...

Baghdatis72
06-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I think Federer is more afraid of Canas than Volandri because Canas owned him twice in a row on his favorite surface. Also I think that Nadal doesn't feel 100% confident about beating Federer in the final if they meet (I sense an upset on Nadal).

kingdaddy41788
06-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I think Federer is more afraid of Canas than Volandri because Canas owned him twice in a row on his favorite surface. Also I think that Nadal doesn't feel 100% confident about beating Federer in the final if they meet (I sense an upset on Nadal).

favorite surface??? Nobody's beat Federer on his favorite surface in a few years. Ever heard of Wimbledon?

Kobble
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Canas will beat Federer.

ACE of Hearts
06-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Everyone is counting out Juan Monaco.Monaco can play on clay.

Steve Dykstra
06-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Everyone is counting out Juan Monaco.Monaco can play on clay.

Nobody counted him out in this thread.

boojay
06-02-2007, 01:09 PM
favorite surface??? Nobody's beat Federer on his favorite surface in a few years. Ever heard of Wimbledon?

Thanks for saving me the trouble of pointing that out.

The moment he said Fed got "owned" on his "favorite surface" twice, that lowered the credibility of his post.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-02-2007, 01:11 PM
don't think fed fears anyone at the moment and he's playing incredible. most importantly he's moving well, and his timing is totally back, something that mysteriously left him in rome and to an extent in monte carlo.

that said, fed's draw is deadly. even if he does get to the final against nadal, djokavic, hewitt, or even moya (doubtful), he's gonna have to go some to win it. having to beat monaco, davydenko/nalby, canas, all before rafa and novak. i'll say fed's the goat with a french open title this year.

as far as nadal, his draw's been a cakewalk, but he's looked physically spent and jaded. it's true, though, that last year, he wasn't playing his best tennis leading up to the final but then beat down fed. i honestly think rafa has a roland garros mode, which is more percentage and defensive than his 2 out of 3 match mode. he looks pretty defensive and it's taking a long time, but he's winning his matches with ease. hewitt will give him a match, presumably.

sureshs
06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
don't think fed fears anyone at the moment and he's playing incredible. most importantly he's moving well, and his timing is totally back, something that mysteriously left him in rome and to an extent in monte carlo.

What if his timing ditches him again? If someone is so dependent on timing and it can vanish mysteriously, he is going to have a real tough time. He hasn't met anyone good so far. When he meets the big guns, we will see whether he really got the timing back or it just hasn't been tested so far.

boojay
06-02-2007, 01:41 PM
The greatest fear any tennis player can ever face is shaking Nadal's brown stained hands at the end of a match.

*shudder*

flyboy1
06-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't think that a player with 10 majors is afraid of anyone. The way that you get to win that many majors is by having a different mindset (and of course talent) than anyone else. We are imposing our non-major winnging mindset(s) to Roger Federer. He, along with Laver, Sampras, Agassi, et al are all special players and they look at situations differently. If they were afraid of losing, rather than trying to win, they probably wouldn't be as good. Not to say that fear of failure isn't powerful, but I don't think it is nearly as effective as having a positive outlook and thinking that they're able to beat anyone out there at any time. I think Federer is looking forward to playing Canas/Volandri. I think he relishes the opportunity to show people that he can beat them, and handily. It's like beating someone 6-0; obviously a win is a win, but some wins are better than others, because totally crushing one's opponent makes a statement. Remember when Roddick was saying that he was getting closer to Federer, even though he was losing to him (losing 6-4, or 7-5, or 7-6)? Well, he couldn't say that after this years Australian Open after getting whomped. I think that Federer wants not only to beat Canas/Volandri, but wants to totally crush them. The best players don't get to be the best by fearing anyone.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-02-2007, 01:47 PM
agreed, suresh. guess that's why we enjoy watching the matches.

don't you think fed's loss of timing and poor movement in rome and partly at monte carlo was primarily due to the fact that he was still getting used to the clay courts again? this was much earlier in the clay court season. he seems to have found his rhythm.

true that he hasn't been challenged yet and that his draw is about to get nasty-monaco, davy/nalby, canas, all before nads/djoker. we soon shall see.

sureshs
06-02-2007, 01:58 PM

don't you think fed's loss of timing and poor movement in rome and partly at monte carlo was primarily due to the fact that he was still getting used to the clay courts again? this was much earlier in the clay court season. he seems to have found his rhythm.

true that he hasn't been challenged yet and that his draw is about to get nasty-monaco, davy/nalby, canas, all before nads/djoker. we soon shall see.

He didn't do well in IW or Miami either. And Nadal doesn't seem to need time to get used to clay.

TheNatural
06-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't know why he lost. I just watched parts of his losses to Volandi and Canas again. Mabe these guys just matched up well and wernt intimidated. Also, Feds backhand didnt really seem to bother these guys. Anyways, i'ts just interesting to see how things unfold. I just like seeing players challenge and not give up before they step on the court.

Fed only has to play a few of those guys, not all, so the draw isnt any nastier than Hewitt, Andreev, Djokovic, or whoever Nadal May play if he gets past Hewitt.

mileslong
06-02-2007, 04:14 PM
The best players don't get to be the best by fearing anyone.
that is the best statement on this thread. true champions have a different mindset than most other people which is what makes them champions. all of these guys at the top of the tour can play, and are very talented, what seperates fed and nadal is whats between their ears.

do you think mcenroe was more talented than safin? conners more talented than say a haas? no they arent, but they were so strong mentally that they will themselves to victories. the same is true of jack nicklaus and tiger woods in golf. the reason that fed has the chance to be the best ever is because he combines this mental toughness with unmatched talent, thats very rare, tiger has it for instance, michael jordan had it.

i think nadal is very talented as well but not as talented as fed but he has an incredible will to win and that will take him far but he will never be considered the best ever.

i guarantee you that fed WANTS to play canas AND nadal. he wants to win the french obviously but he wants to show them who is the best. thats how these guys think. the ones that dont think that way are destined to never reach greatness and toil away in mediocrity and/or unfullfilled promise.

as far as fed losing to these guys, sometimes certain players just give other players fits due to their style of game. i think this is true of nadal and canas but not volandari, that was a fluke. obvisously fed doesn't really like playing grinders who play what some consider an "ugly" game. thats why fed doesn't like to do drop shots, its kind of a cop out in his mind. having said that, fed does tend to figure guys out, look at hewitt, he owned fed early on because hewitt was relentless and just pushed the ball around and ran around and never gave up, that gave fed fits early on until he figured him out and now he bagels hewitt. nadal and canas play the style of game that fed hates but he knows he has to learn how to defeat that style of game in order to achieve what he wants.

FitzRoy
06-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I agree with mileslong. I think Federer looks forward to the chance to get revenge at guys like Canas and Volandri. He's also always said that he relishes the opportunity to play against Nadal, and I believe him.

I'm not a real Fed fan, but I don't think he's afraid of any other player to any degree, so "who's he more afraid of" isn't really an answerable question.

tennishead93
06-02-2007, 05:37 PM
canas nadal final

diegaa
06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
i dont think he is a little afraid of any player but nadal.

Starlite
06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
i dont think he is a little afraid of any player but nadal.

I don't think he's necessarily afraid, but he's definitely frustrated with Nadal and his inability to win RG.

BounceHitBounceHit
06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
They are both still alive in his section of the draw. Which do you think he fears most on clay? SInce both beat him recently, he must have some level of fear for both opponents. He could even have to play them both , one after the other, or none of them.

I think he fears them just like he fears Nadal. ;) Not at all. (Get it?! Nadal/Not-at-all?) ;) CC

FitzRoy
06-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I think he fears them just like he fears Nadal. ;) Not at all. (Get it?! Nadal/Not-at-all?) ;) CC

Craig will be here all week, folks. ;)

jmsx521
06-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Canas has more experience and plays steady & smart. Volandri is streaky; he can hit some spectacular shots, but can miss many as well.

Hot Sauce
06-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't think hes afraid of anyone right now.

tlm
06-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I dont think he is afraid of either player, but he is definitely afraid of nadal.

Alejandro D
06-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Fed is not afraid of Caņas, but I think he'd rather play some other guy in the SF. Meaning he probably prefers to have a less exhausting match before the final against Nadal.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see a Federer-Caņas SF, to see if Fed can get his revenge or if Willy can have an heroic third consecutive victory over the GOAT.