PDA

View Full Version : A Jonas moment!

skip1969
06-02-2007, 02:45 PM
i had to go to work today, which was a bummer . . . but i got my 'feel-good' moment before i left.

i hope i'm not spoiling here (though i doubt many people were hanging on pins and needles about the result of the bjorkman/hernandez match) . . . but ttc showed bjorkman's reaction after winning the match, and it was terrific!! the guy was smiling ear to ear and pumping his fists, obviously overjoyed that he was into the fourth round (which he hasn't made at rg in 11 years or something like that). anyway, it was such a genuine, spontaneous show of emotion . . . i was happy for the old veteran. heck, why shouldn't he be thrilled, since he won in four sets . . . and he was down two sets to love in the first AND second rounds! he was hugging himself (i guess in a way to hug the crowd and thank them) and looked on top of the world.

these days, every player feels the need to wave and bow and blow kisses to the crowd after EVERY match. even when they wipe the floor with an opponent 1 and 1 in the first round. to me, it seems cheesy and unnecessary . . . as if blowing someone out in the first round (when everyone expected you to blow them out) is some great accomplishment. i think the women started all that hoo-ha . . . the williams, sharapova . . . in any case, it never rings true and seems totally phoney.

today i saw a player who was genuinely over the moon . . . at getting to the FOURTH round . . . and basked in his achievement. so i'm givin jonas some love for his win, and his reaction. go jonas!

even though i think moya is gonna beat him next round. :grin:

forzainter
06-02-2007, 02:47 PM
its will be a batle of the veterans, moya vs bjrkman

Breakaz54z
06-02-2007, 03:05 PM
well said, congrats to Jonas

J-man
06-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I did not get to watch that match. But it is great news for him. For his age he must be in good shape to play all this tennis. I hope he is rested for Wimbledon.

hoosierbr
06-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Jonas Bjorkman is one of my favorites, especially after meeting him at the US Open. A first-class guy as everyone on these boards who's met him will tell you. Really is gracious and interested in talking to fans.

I hope he doesn't wear himself out before Wimbledon as he has a heap of points to defend but considering he's been adding points the last few weeks he should be able to balance his ranking out if he loses in say the 3rd or 4th round at Wimby, depending on his draw. But even when he's had lackluster results he always seems to play well on the grass.

Feņa14
06-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Bjorkman is fantastic!

I saw alot of his matches at Nottingham last year when he got to the final and his brand of tennis was amazing to watch. He was joking around with the crowed and looked like he was really enjoying himself on the court.

Players are out there trying to earn a living so you can understand them being serious and concentrating flat out but Bjorkman has been around for years and has a family so can put things in perspective and it really shows.

TheNatural
06-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Any footage? Was it as good as Voladris celebration when he beat Federer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uuf9pRqV4I

i had to go to work today, which was a bummer . . . but i got my 'feel-good' moment before i left.

i hope i'm not spoiling here (though i doubt many people were hanging on pins and needles about the result of the bjorkman/hernandez match) . . . but ttc showed bjorkman's reaction after winning the match, and it was terrific!! the guy was smiling ear to ear and pumping his fists, obviously overjoyed that he was into the fourth round (which he hasn't made at rg in 11 years or something like that). anyway, it was such a genuine, spontaneous show of emotion . . . i was happy for the old veteran. heck, why shouldn't he be thrilled, since he won in four sets . . . and he was down two sets to love in the first AND second rounds! he was hugging himself (i guess in a way to hug the crowd and thank them) and looked on top of the world.

these days, every player feels the need to wave and bow and blow kisses to the crowd after EVERY match. even when they wipe the floor with an opponent 1 and 1 in the first round. to me, it seems to cheesy and unnecessary . . . as if blowing someone out in the first round (when everyone expected you to blow them out) is some great accomplishment. i think the women started all that hoo-ha . . . the williams, sharapova . . . in any case, it never rings true and seems totally phoney.

today i saw a player who was genuinely over the moon . . . at getting to the FOURTH round . . . and basked in his achievement. so i'm givin jonas some love for his win, and his reaction. go jonas!

even though i think moya is gonna beat him next round. :grin:

skip1969
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Any footage? Was it as good as Voladris celebration when he beat Federer:
nah, it wasn't that serious. jonas was just happy to win. he didn't do a victory lap or anything.

wyutani
06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
hmmm...i was actually rooting for hernandez....anyway, what grip washe using.?:confused:

Sean Dugan
06-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't it be great if he made the finals........he won't make it past Moya on clay unless Carlos breaks his leg.