PDA

View Full Version : Nadal VS Hewitt

keithchircop
06-02-2007, 10:10 PM
finally a must-see match at the 2007 FO. how many of you think it will go 5 sets?

drakulie
06-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Nadal in 3, but I hope hewitt takes it to a 5th set tie break. That would be awesome. When is the match?

hoons
06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Nadal in 3, but I hope hewitt takes it to a 5th set tie break. That would be awesome. When is the match?

Is there a fifth set tie breaker?

drakulie
06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Hmmmm. Can't remember now. Good question.

psamp14
06-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Is there a fifth set tie breaker?

there are no 5th set tiebreakers at the french open...it only happens at the us open :)

hey drak: how about 10-8 in the 5th? i dont know who you're pulling for...:)

the match i think would be monday since nadal and hewitt both played today

keithchircop
06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
it's not going to be played today (sunday here in europe).
in the meantime i'll be watching davydenko vs nalbandian at 17:00 french time.

drakulie
06-02-2007, 10:24 PM
there are no 5th set tiebreakers at the french open...it only happens at the us open :)

hey drak: how about 10-8 in the 5th? i dont know who you're pulling for...:)

the match i think would be monday since nadal and hewitt both played today

Thanks for the info.

I'm pulling for hewitt, but am realistic. I just don't see him putting a chink in Nadal's armor. 10-8 would be great!

welcome2petrkordaland
06-02-2007, 10:31 PM
i predict an all-out war. If Lleyton has recovered and is in the shape he seems to be in, Rafa will have to raise the level of his game in order to win.

i dunno know what's gonna happen with this one, as Rafa looks solid but not where he was in Barcelona where, in my opinion, he peaked. And Hewitt is playing better than i've seen him play in a long time; he does, after all, have a 3-2 head to head advantage over nadal. granted his 3 ws were on hard and nadal's were on clay. but the human backboard that is lleyton hewitt seems better on clay nowadays than anything else.

David L
06-02-2007, 10:44 PM
i predict an all-out war. If Lleyton has recovered and is in the shape he seems to be in, Rafa will have to raise the level of his game in order to win.

i dunno know what's gonna happen with this one, as Rafa looks solid but not where he was in Barcelona where, in my opinion, he peaked. And Hewitt is playing better than i've seen him play in a long time; he does, after all, have a 3-2 head to head advantage over nadal. granted his 3 ws were on hard and nadal's were on clay. but the human backboard that is lleyton hewitt seems better on clay nowadays than anything else.The head to head is 4-2 in Hewitt's favour.

ulysses75
06-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Nadal in 3, for sure. There is some possibility of 4 sets match. But, low, IMO.

bluetrain4
06-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I think Hewitt will give Rafa a hard time and could beat him, though I don't think he will.

Hewitt doesn't have huge weapons, but he has exactly the type of mentality that one needs to beat Rafa. I actually think Rafa should look to end points earlier and not run himself silly because Hewitt can run with him.

Nadal stands so far back and Hewitt should bring him in and come in himself, just to mix things up. Nadal thrives on rhythmic matches were he can hit a lot of long groundstrokes. Keeping him guessing is key.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-02-2007, 10:58 PM
i hope that even if hewitt doesnt win, he makes nadal tired so if ever moya wins his match, he can take nadal out easily.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-02-2007, 11:12 PM
The head to head is 4-2 in Hewitt's favour.

Only if you count the (I believe) '06 Queen's Club Quarterfinal where they each had won a set 6-3 before Nadal retired due to a sore shoulder, a decision that proved crucial in preparation for his Wimby run to the final after sweeping the clay court season. Who can blame him; he suddenly started throwing bombs last year out of the blue as soon as the grass court season started. Why risk injury before a slam?

Hewitt hasn't beaten Nadal in over 2 years-'05 aussie open, i believe.

I still believe Hewitt has a shot Monday, though.

keithchircop
06-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Only if you count the (I believe) '06 Queen's Club Quarterfinal where they each had won a set 6-3 before Nadal retired due to a sore shoulder

you HAVE to count it. what next, we stop counting losses for players who get tired or start cramping?

welcome2petrkordaland
06-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Keith, i agree with your premise. no excuses. but does it make hewitt look that much more promising to have a 4-2 record against nadal including that quasi-match versus a 3-2 record against nadal not including it? hewitt has not beaten nadal in a complete match since the '05 aussie open 1/4 final in a 5 thriller when rafa was 18. odds are not in lleyton's favor here, esp. after 9 sets of tennis in the last 2 matches. strangely, i still give lleyton a chance in this match, but he'll have to play out of his head.

Elina
06-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I think it will go to Rafael in 4 sets or then to Lleyton in 5 sets. :D

M Dean
06-03-2007, 01:55 AM
hewitt had good preparation (against a lefty nieminen), he has a very good backhand, nice flat service to nadals forehand... but i think nadal will sure watch out (after what hapend @ hamburg).
my vote goes to nadal... but if it goes easy i will be surprised!

keithchircop
06-03-2007, 02:08 AM
welcome2petrkordaland, i see your point. however, say two players A and B play a match and A wins 6-0 6-0. we take it for granted player B sucked. when in fact there is the possibility that every single game went to deuce with player B losing every single game. it would have been a "close" match but the results wouldn't show it. IMO we can't stay keeping track of all these details, so i go for the head to head without thinking of what might have happened during the matches.

helloworld
06-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Most of Hewitt's victories over Rafa was a long time ago when Nadal has not peaked yet. If we're talking about now and on Clay then I think Nadal can win in 3 tight sets if he is playing well. If not, it may go to 4 or even 5 sets.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-03-2007, 03:05 AM
Hewitt in 4, VERY long shot but what the heck.

ja_
06-03-2007, 04:39 AM
Hewitt would have lost other day had Gaudio not lost his mind. Nadal will win, but I would love to see an all out battle.

Mikael
06-03-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm thinking it will be either a 4 set or a 5 set match, with a tight scoreline. Hewitt will bring the fight to Nadal. I'm sure he's more than pumped up after his great recovery against Nieminen. Nadal OTOH will be apprehensive, remembering the tough matches Lleyton gave him both this year in Hamburg and last year at the French. I'm pulling for Nadal in this one but unfortunately I wouldn't be all that surprised to see an upset. I'll give Lleyton maybe 1 chance in 3 of winning. He'll be taking the ball early and playing an Agassi type of game.

Tempyst
06-03-2007, 05:23 AM
it's really too bad Hewitt has to face Nadal in the 4th round. I would have preferred them to face in Quarterfinals or Semis instead :(

J-man
06-03-2007, 05:26 AM
I think it could 5 to 4 sets.

crazylevity
06-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Even if Hewitt doesn't win, I want to see him take the fight to Nadal and push him all the way. I also want Federer to see it and hopefully, gain some Wilanders for the final. :p

welcome2petrkordaland
06-03-2007, 07:21 PM
welcome2petrkordaland, i see your point. however, say two players A and B play a match and A wins 6-0 6-0. we take it for granted player B sucked. when in fact there is the possibility that every single game went to deuce with player B losing every single game. it would have been a "close" match but the results wouldn't show it. IMO we can't stay keeping track of all these details, so i go for the head to head without thinking of what might have happened during the matches.

dude, i'm so over this detail. i'm not even trippin' over this. in discussing the upcoming match, i simply said hewitt led the hth 3-2 (which incidentally is how the commentators chose to view their past meetings). someone (david) corrected me and said it was 4-2. then you introduce a little scenario that basically suggests that we not keep track of all these details and that we just stick to the h2h. then you say we shouldn't think of what might have happened.

right on, brotha. let's not think about things that DIDN'T happen. i just assume not count the match either way, since it was 6-3, 3-6 and nadal w/drew, especially for the purposes of establishing a legitimate head to head. i mean hewitt certainly didn't WIN the match, did he?

while we're at it, let me ask you and david a question:

how much importance do you place on david nalbandian's 5-set win over federer at the master's cup in shanghai in '05?

David L
06-03-2007, 09:25 PM
dude, i'm so over this detail. i'm not even trippin' over this. in discussing the upcoming match, i simply said hewitt led the hth 3-2 (which incidentally is how the commentators chose to view their past meetings). someone (david) corrected me and said it was 4-2. then you introduce a little scenario that basically suggests that we not keep track of all these details and that we just stick to the h2h. then you say we shouldn't think of what might have happened.

right on, brotha. let's not think about things that DIDN'T happen. i just assume not count the match either way, since it was 6-3, 3-6 and nadal w/drew, especially for the purposes of establishing a legitimate head to head. i mean hewitt certainly didn't WIN the match, did he?

while we're at it, let me ask you and david a question:

how much importance do you place on david nalbandian's 5-set win over federer at the master's cup in shanghai in '05?how much importance do you place on david nalbandian's 5-set win over federer at the master's cup in shanghai in '05?

Yeah, not much. The same applies to Safin's win over Federer at the 2005 Australian and Nadals win over Federer the first time they met at Miami in 2004. If I know the circumstances of a match and I knew something to be amiss, that would affect the significance I gave it, but if someone just asked for the head to head, I would just give them the figures as they stand.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
how much importance do you place on david nalbandian's 5-set win over federer at the master's cup in shanghai in '05?

Yeah, not much. The same applies to Safin's win over Federer at the 2005 Australian and Nadals win over Federer the first time they met at Miami in 2004. If I know the circumstances of a match and I knew something to be amiss, that would affect the significance I gave it, but if someone just asked for the head to head, I would just give them the figures as they stand.

Agreed David. You're a Fed fan, aren't you? Reason I ask is that you acknowledge that nalbandian's win in shanghai '05 was insignificant, as we all know Fed was injured and totally out of shape b/c of his injury and inability to stay fit. But I'm stumped as to why you would not see Safin's win down under as significant. As much of a complete disappointment and mental midget as Safin is, Fed was healthy and playing great. Marat was just too much that day. And Nadal's win over Fed in Miami in '04 was a while back, but they were both in shape and healthy to my knowledge and this match kind of foreshadowed the difficulty Fed would have with this kind of matchup.
So including it in the h2h is a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for keeping it simple and just stating the facts. It's just that in the case of Hewitt-Nadal Queen's Club '06, you might as well throw it out, when attempting to give a h2h record.

David L
06-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Agreed David. You're a Fed fan, aren't you? Reason I ask is that you acknowledge that nalbandian's win in shanghai '05 was insignificant, as we all know Fed was injured and totally out of shape b/c of his injury and inability to stay fit. But I'm stumped as to why you would not see Safin's win down under as significant. As much of a complete disappointment and mental midget as Safin is, Fed was healthy and playing great. Marat was just too much that day. And Nadal's win over Fed in Miami in '04 was a while back, but they were both in shape and healthy to my knowledge and this match kind of foreshadowed the difficulty Fed would have with this kind of matchup.
So including it in the h2h is a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for keeping it simple and just stating the facts. It's just that in the case of Hewitt-Nadal Queen's Club '06, you might as well throw it out, when attempting to give a h2h record.I mention the Safin match because I know Federer was in such pain, regarding his feet, he said had he won he may not have been able to contest the final. That year, he took a break after the US Open to get his feet seen to, then lost to Nalbandian in the Masters Cup due to lack of fitness. In the Miami match with Nadal, Federer was ill, so was not able to compete well. Because he did not pull out of these matches, some will take them as legitimate victories, but someone losing because of an injury or illness, whether they pull out or finish the match, ought to amount to the same thing if we are going to start discounting victories due to one opponent being injured or less than 100%. Either way, it's a tarnished victory.

keithchircop
06-04-2007, 05:35 AM
there's usually a physical or mental reason why a player loses a match. whether he's not in tip-top shape, or he's depressed because his dog died, or if he pulls out mid-match due to injury, a loss is a loss. i keep it real simple.

Fedace
06-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Real BAD news for Hewitt, looks like Nadal is really on today, looks like that Puma on Babolat ad. and balls are bouncing over shoulder level.

pmata814
06-04-2007, 05:45 AM
...Hewitt doesn't have huge weapons, but he has exactly the type of mentality that one needs to beat Rafa...

Hewitt's mentality is get as many balls back as possible until the other guy makes a mistake. Nadal can play that game too and he's pretty good at it. Do you actually think Hewitt is in better shape than Nadal and can outlast him? I very seriously doubt it. I think that you need an agressive mentality to beat Nadal. You have to be willing to come to net and take risks because trying to outlast him will be very difficult. I know he put up a great fight in Hamburg but I don't think the result would be any different. That's just my opinion though.

BkK_b0y14
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
rafa won in 3; 6-3 6-1 7-6

@wright
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Wow, I thought Captain Obvious only visited us on Tuesdays.

keithchircop
06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
hewitt always lets me down.