PDA

View Full Version : Slipped Disc

jonolau
06-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Has anyone else suffered this from playing tennis? I just displaced a disc in my lower back a few days back and it hurts like hell. I've an apppointment next week to see a Sports Physician and may have to take an MRI.

I'm just wondering how long you had to lay off before being able to play again, and also what did you do to help it heal?

donnygg
06-03-2007, 06:13 AM
I had one in my neck but not from tennis. that almost had me paralysed. Hurt my neck while serving national service but was diagnosed as a strain. The pain went away after a few weeks but numbness and weakness started developing in my fingers, arms and later my legs. Turned out the disc burst and was compressing my spinal cord so the disc had to be removed surgically. But since spinal cord injury is irreversible, there are still residual numbness and weakness.

So I would say not to rush the recovery 'cos a slipped disc can be potentially very serious. I think the most common treatment is traction. I know someone with slipped disc in the back who was advised by his doc to hang from a pull-up bar. I supposed that would relief the pressure on the disc. I'm not sure about now but 10 years ago, the queue at SGH for MRI was about a month.

Supernatural_Serve
06-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Has anyone else suffered this from playing tennis? I just displaced a disc in my lower back a few days back and it hurts like hell. I've an apppointment next week to see a Sports Physician and may have to take an MRI.

I'm just wondering how long you had to lay off before being able to play again, and also what did you do to help it heal?Yes, but in my neck. A herniated disk, also known as a "slipped disk". I lost the use of my left arm and hand for days. Couldn't hold a glass of water. 24 years later I still have odd sensations in my shoulder, lats, pecs, and a small area that feels like sunburn on my shoulder.

The orthopedic surgeon described mine as text book herniated disk, C4 (cervical spine 4).

Your time to recovery all depends on how badly herniated it is (the MRI and possibly a more detailed CT Scan, I had both taken) will show this very precisely, and how much pressure is being applied to the nerve. You will see your spinal column being pressed on and the nerves that eminate from it. In general, you lose muscle strength, sensation, and function which all comes back in weeks to months.

Take your physical therapy seriously. I did. I was 80% in about 6 weeks. I was 95% in about 9 months. But, its never been the same. I'm still working on the last 5%.

That part of your back will always be a weak point because there is no such thing as putting the disk material back in the disk, once it bursts out, its out forever and compression of the bones above and below will take place (again depending on severity). You may need surgery to replace/strenghten the disk, but that's a serious step to evaluate down the road.

Depending on where in your lower back and severity, you could become incontinent, possibly lose erectile function, and a few other unpleasant side effects for a few days to weeks.

This sucks. I hope its not actually herniated, and if so, I hope it is mild and your recovery is swift.

jonolau
06-03-2007, 06:37 AM
I had one in my neck but not from tennis. that almost had me paralysed. Hurt my neck while serving national service but was diagnosed as a strain. The pain went away after a few weeks but numbness and weakness started developing in my fingers, arms and later my legs. Turned out the disc burst and was compressing my spinal cord so the disc had to be removed surgically. But since spinal cord injury is irreversible, there are still residual numbness and weakness.

So I would say not to rush the recovery 'cos a slipped disc can be potentially very serious. I think the most common treatment is traction. I know someone with slipped disc in the back who was advised by his doc to hang from a pull-up bar. I supposed that would relief the pressure on the disc. I'm not sure about now but 10 years ago, the queue at SGH for MRI was about a month.
Thanks, Donny. I went to CGH A&E this morning and all they could do was prescribe painkillers. I've an appointment with the Sports Medicine department next week. Just hope my back can hold up till then.

Last time I had an MRI done on my back was in 2002, and at that time they diagnosed that I had a degenerative spine. I think too many years of athletics, rugby, basketball, triathlons and tennis is now taking its toll ...

jonolau
06-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Yes, but in my neck. A herniated disk, also known as a "slipped disk". I lost the use of my left arm and hand for days. Couldn't hold a glass of water. 24 years later I still have odd sensations in my shoulder, lats, pecs, and a small area that feels like sunburn on my shoulder.

The orthopedic surgeon described mine as text book herniated disk, C4 (cervical spine 4).

Your time to recovery all depends on how badly herniated it is (the MRI and possibly a more detailed CT Scan, I had both taken) will show this very precisely, and how much pressure is being applied to the nerve. You will see your spinal column being pressed on and the nerves that eminate from it. In general, you lose muscle strength, sensation, and function which all comes back in weeks to months.

Take your physical therapy seriously. I did. I was 80% in about 6 weeks. I was 95% in about 9 months. But, its never been the same. I'm still working on the last 5%.

That part of your back will always be a weak point because there is no such thing as putting the disk material back in the disk, once it bursts out, its out forever and compression of the bones above and below will take place (again depending on severity). You may need surgery to replace/strenghten the disk, but that's a serious step to evaluate down the road.

Depending on where in your lower back and severity, you could become incontinent, possibly lose erectile function, and a few other unpleasant side effects for a few days to weeks.

This sucks. I hope its not actually herniated, and if so, I hope it is mild and your recovery is swift.

Hi SS, thanks for sharing your experiences. I just hope that it isn't something too serious, the tingling sensation now is quite mild and guess I have to wait for the MRI to find out ...

courtrage
06-03-2007, 08:37 AM
i've got a couple buldging/herniated discs in my low back and within a couple weeks of getting a book by John E. Sarno, MD i have little to no pain anymore... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=/105-1668336-5298027?rs=1000&page=1&rh=n%3A1000%2Cp_27%3AJohn+E.+Sarno&sort=daterank

i got 'healing back pain' and 'the divided mind' both on CD cause those are his only books on CD and they did wonders for me...

edit: 'healing back pain' is half the size of 'the divided mind' and its more geared toward patients whereas the other was seemed to be more toward doctors ...it will help though but i'd start with the shorter one cause its more toward the point and doesnt go into history at all...

lethalfang
06-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Talking about this?
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/06/01/back.surgery.reut/

jonolau
06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Update: it was a supected slipped disc, but after 4 days, it turned out to be a false alarm and was only a muscle strain.

Thanks for all the replies.