PDA

View Full Version : Gosen OG Sheep Vs Prince Synthetic gut w/duraflex

xmoustc
09-27-2004, 06:40 AM
I have been using Prince synthetic gut w/ duraflex for quite a while and I love it. But I am a frequent string breaker and I recently found that the price of a Gosen OG sheep reel is about half of the prince one. It looks like a great deal. I just want to know how's this Gosen string compare to Prince Syn. Gut w/ duraflex in terms of playability. Durability is not a very important issue because I string my own racquet. As long as the Gosen one last at least 8 hours, that's enough for me. Prince string usually pops after 12-15 hours of play.

Thanks.

Marc C.
09-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Sorry not to answer your question, but do you like the psg duraflex? I am considering using it and switching from gamma syn gut. I hear it is much better.

badmice2
09-27-2004, 08:40 PM
The Gosen plays like the traditional Prince synthetic Guts...i think gosen was the old manufacture for the traditional Prince Synthetic.

xmoustc
09-28-2004, 06:54 AM
really? That might be a good news because the recommended string for POG is Prince synthetic gut original according to Prince website.

xmoustc
09-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Sorry not to answer your question, but do you like the psg duraflex?
Yes, I like Prince synthetic gut w/duraflex a lot.

Gaines Hillix
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
I'd recommend buying a single pack or two of the Gosen to demo before purchasing the reel. I have reels of the 16g and 17g Gosen generic and no one has ever complained about it. I use it mostly for hybriding with a more expensive string in the mains. I use lots of PSGD too. Afterall, it's still < $4.00 a set on TW. Buying it by the reel isn't that good a deal.

BreakPoint
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I think Gosen OG Sheep Micro is a great syn. gut. Lots of feel for a mono nylon string, and durability is not too bad, especially compared to multis.

mitchell_ota
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
I've never been a huge fan of the PSG w/ Duraflex very much, but it does come in great colors (which is nice when I'm feeling whimsical), and it does play fairly decently. The Gosen, however, seems a bit crisper and less dead feeling. I have a feeling that "duraflex" stuff kills some of feel in the string, which leaves me wishing I could find the ball on the racquet without having to look for a fuzz pattern. At the price, both of these strings are hard to beat, though.

I would follow Gaines's advice and grab a couple of sets of the Gosen and give it a shot. I'm waiting to string up a couple of my friends' racquets with the Gosen and see what they think of it, since I liked it. Hope this helps.

netman
09-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I'll state right up front that I am a big fan of the Gosen Micro reels. I've strung everything from wood racquets to tweeners to a 14 oz Black Ace with it and it plays well in all of them. It is a very versatile string and its so inexpensive you can experiment with tension and gauge until you find what works best for each frame.

BTW, I have never broken it before it wears out. It settles down to a consistent tension quickly and holds it for many hours of play. Then it goes dead. I always have to cut it out, it never breaks. I don't hit tons of topspin, but I do hit a mix of spins and serve pretty hard. In the end its the consistent tension and cheap price that really makes this string a winner. It isn't gut, but you can buy 660 feet of it for the cost of one pack of Babolat gut.

nyu
09-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I hit a heavy western forehand and break 3 strings/week. Used to hit with prince syn/duraflex, and switched to generic og sheep micro. The feel is similar, only the og feels a bit more slippery when you hit the ball(not in a bad way, just a different feel.) I've found that they both have a similar playing life(about 4 hours for me.) I use OG micro for the price, period.

badmice2
09-30-2004, 11:09 AM
the 17s breaks a bit faster....especially if you string it at a high tension (68 lbs for me :shock: ). The 16s...however....seems to last forever and a day or 2. I've string on my own as well as other people's rackets with no complains.