PDA

View Full Version : RG - Federer Setup this year

ART ART
06-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi again, has you remenber last year I posted here Fed setup, from RG, so this morning before his match agaisn't the russian, we have here some rackets from him, to be strung in a range bettween 23/21.5 Kilos - 20/18.5 kilos, we have measure one of those rackets strung @22/20.5 kilos, so here it goes:
RDC: 68
Weight: 367gr
Balance point: 31.8cm from the but cap
Wilson Gut 1.25mm/AluPower 1.25mm
Wilson overgrip.

This racket seems to be a regular kfactor 90", no lead added under the grommets, we have check it, but we couldn't check it under the grip.

Please do not ask names of the people working here, Im sure you can understand it.

Best Regards from Paris.

War, Safin!
06-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi again, has you remenber last year I posted here Fed setup, from RG, so this morning before his match agaisn't the russian, we have here some rackets from him, to be strung in a range bettween 23/21.5 Kilos - 20/18.5 kilos, we have measure one of those rackets strung @22/20.5 kilos, so here it goes:

This racket seems to be a regular kfactor 90", no lead added under the grommets, we have check it, but we couldn't check it under the grip.

Please do not ask names of the people working here, Im sure you can understand it.

Best Regards from Paris.
Pretty heavy for Federer?

vinnier6
06-03-2007, 06:51 AM
i am too lazy, can someone translate the balance, weight, string tension into inches, ounces, lbs...thanks

tennisfa
06-03-2007, 07:17 AM
50.6lbs/47.3lbs-44lbs/40.7lbs
12.95 ounces
8 points head light
don't know how to calculate swingweight...
strange... TW's specs are 9 points headlight. if there's no lead under bumper, shouldn't it be more headlight?......

iplaybetter
06-03-2007, 07:53 AM
sounds like my racket, except for head size

nickb
06-03-2007, 07:57 AM
50.6lbs/47.3lbs-44lbs/40.7lbs
12.95 ounces
8 points head light
don't know how to calculate swingweight...
strange... TW's specs are 9 points headlight. if there's no lead under bumper, shouldn't it be more headlight?......

Is it normal for him to string at 40??...seems very low even for Fed.

vinnier6
06-03-2007, 08:24 AM
thanks for the conversions....

ericsson
06-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Is it normal for him to string at 40??...seems very low even for Fed.

what to say about Volandri...i'm not surprised of anything these days.

jmverdugo
06-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Wilson overgrip.

Best Regards from Paris.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do the measurments and post them here.

A lot of people appreciate it. regards.

Richie Rich
06-03-2007, 09:55 AM

don't some of the players use a heavier than normal racquet for playing on clay?

jmverdugo
06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
don't some of the players use a heavier than normal racquet for playing on clay?

I was thinking the same, maybe this is the reason of the lastly (poor) results of Fed, he increased the weight of the racket to get some help playing (nadal) on clay. He was just getting use to the new weight.

rabidcow
06-03-2007, 10:20 AM
If only someone could get there hands on one of these blacked out racquets........

jakshemash
06-03-2007, 10:25 AM
ART ART, did it say: MADE IN CHINA under the bridge of the racquet or was it under the bit of the racquet where it says DESIGNED IN THE USA. Thanks for the original info.

Jonnyf
06-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info.!

TennisandMusic
06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
My k90 was 13.1 ounces STOCK. So his weight isn't that big a deal. It's less than what mine arrived at from TW.

psamp14
06-03-2007, 11:35 AM
thanks for the specs....the weight is not heavy at all

the only thing which surprises me is the low end of one of his string tensions...if its calculated properly....40 lbs

usually he goes 45-50...

about the issue of not seeing any lead tape, good observation...whatever weight his racquet is, its already in the frame

if federer and i have the same frame and we both wanted to add x grams to it, i would add it by applying lead tape, and his would be added by making a new frame with the desired weight

i dont understand why this is such a difficult concept for a lot of the posters here who question it...federer probably wants his frames to look clean with no sticky lead tape on it so the additional weight he wants is already in the racquet

thanks for the specs once again :)

Buckeye10s
06-03-2007, 03:02 PM
So it looks like he isn't using ALU Rough now... Good info!

vinnier6
06-03-2007, 03:11 PM
My k90 was 13.1 ounces STOCK. So his weight isn't that big a deal. It's less than what mine arrived at from TW.

yea, but you cant swing your k90 like he can, so it doesnt really matter what your racquet weighs...

Mad iX
06-03-2007, 03:59 PM
yea, but you cant swing your k90 like he can, so it doesnt really matter what your racquet weighs...

Believe it or not, swingweight for even casual players does matter.
Obviously, none of us can play like Federer, but we aren't trying to beat Nadal and win the French Open either.
Swingweight is preference, not skill.

ART ART
06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
ART ART, did it say: MADE IN CHINA under the bridge of the racquet or was it under the bit of the racquet where it says DESIGNED IN THE USA. Thanks for the original info.

Hi again, I didn't take a deep look at his rackets, since we are working a litle hard around here ;)
But one of my partners says that Rogers rackets are very identical to the regular K90.
Same space for the string holes, same grip lenght, but we notice that some has the new K90 buttcapp and some use the ncode butcapp, strange thing. But all of them seems to be identical, except for the old butcapp on some.
For the tension he uses, you would be surprised how low we are stringing some rackets around here... example: Davidenco strung range: 25/24Kilos to 21/20kilos for his rackets; Robredo 26/25kilos to 21/20kilos; even Roddick strung some rackets at 23kilos. And yes the italian Volandri uses 17kilos in some rackets!
For the weight, most rackets here weight around 365 to 375grams
Regards.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Not really, why? That's exactly how much my current US K90 weighs stock with an overgrip on it (12.9 oz.). I had one before that weighed 13.2 oz. stock with just an overgrip on it.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
TW's specs are 9 points headlight. if there's no lead under bumper, shouldn't it be more headlight?......
That's just the spec. The racquet you actually get could be anything as the tolerances are quite generous.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Same here. Federer's K90 sounds just like the weight of a regular stock K90.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I was thinking the same, maybe this is the reason of the lastly (poor) results of Fed, he increased the weight of the racket to get some help playing (nadal) on clay. He was just getting use to the new weight.
I don't think Federer has increased his weight at all from before. I think this is the same racquet and weight he has used for the past 5 years.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Of course it matters. It means that Federer is not weighing up his K90 from the stock weight as many people had previously believed.

baseliner87
06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
great info thanks, surprinsing tension

Jack & Coke
06-03-2007, 04:59 PM
(summary)

Davidenco: 25/24Kilos to 21/20kilos
Robredo: 26/25kilos to 21/20kilos
Roddick: 23kilos
Volandri:17kilos

in pounds..

Davidenco: 55/53 lbs. to 46/44 lbs.
Robredo: 57/55 lbs to 46/44 lbs.
Roddick: 50 lbs.
Volandri:37 lbs.

37 lbs. ???

is that right?

:confused:

Rabbit
06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi again, I didn't take a deep look at his rackets, since we are working a litle hard around here ;)
But one of my partners says that Rogers rackets are very identical to the regular K90.
Same space for the string holes, same grip lenght, but we notice that some has the new K90 buttcapp and some use the ncode butcapp, strange thing. But all of them seems to be identical, except for the old butcapp on some.
For the tension he uses, you would be surprised how low we are stringing some rackets around here... example: Davidenco strung range: 25/24Kilos to 21/20kilos for his rackets; Robredo 26/25kilos to 21/20kilos; even Roddick strung some rackets at 23kilos. And yes the italian Volandri uses 17kilos in some rackets!
For the weight, most rackets here weight around 365 to 375grams
Regards.

You didn't happen to notice a large sword-shaped weight at the top of his grip did you?

WhiteSox05CA
06-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Interesting, so Federer is on the lighter end of the static weight spectrum for the ATP pros. Since his buttcap is different, and there is no lead under the bumper, he must have lead in the handle, or throat. Previously on these boards, someone ("alu16L") got a Federer racquet and said there was lead in the handle.

Do pro's use different racquets for different surfaces? I didn't think so.

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Interesting, so Federer is on the lighter end of the static weight spectrum for the ATP pros. Since his buttcap is different, and there is no lead under the bumper, he must have lead in the handle, or throat. Previously on these boards, someone ("alu16L") got a Federer racquet and said there was lead in the handle.

Do pro's use different racquets for different surfaces? I didn't think so.
But if Federer's racquet has lead in the handle then it should be heavier than the stock weight of 367 grams, right? But it's not.

Yes, I've heard some pros (I guess not Federer though) do add or reduce their racquet's weight depending on the surface.

BTW, a different butt cap means nothing. Since Federer was using the new K90 paintjob before it was released to retail, the factory probably didn't have any of the new K90 butt caps yet so they just threw on an older butt cap that they had in stock. I think many people here read too much into the meaning of a little insignificant thing like a butt cap.

PurePrestige
06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Well. It appears Federer is running close to stock specs for a US K90, at least in terms of weight.
I think that its good enough that we know his weigh and balance now, but its not exactly perfect is it. Although the weight is certainly within production range for the K90's we dont have swingweight values which are equally important.
Though its running similarly in static weight, it has a balance that doesnt seem to correspond with factory specs, because their heavier models tend to be more headlight while these specs seem a little too headheavy for stock.

Jack & Coke
06-03-2007, 09:14 PM
You didn't happen to notice a large sword-shaped weight at the top of his grip did you?

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7493/thltcmagswordasmallja4.jpg

lecter255
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
ART ART thx a lot it means a lot to every1 here! =D

alan-n
06-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Almost all head light racquets have lead in the handle from the factory.

nBladed
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Doesn't Fed have a large built up butt cap? Shouldn't there be some weight there?

idioteque
06-04-2007, 03:29 AM
The fact that he can get as much wrist in his shots as he does with his stick is pretty impressive. He doesn't seem to have big arms or wrists, just great flexibility.

nickb
06-04-2007, 03:52 AM
"Do pro's use different racquets for different surfaces? I didn't think so."

Wrong.....many (including Fed) change their weight and balance for different surfaces. If they change strings and tensions for different surfaces its not a big surprise that some change the weight of their racuquets depending on the surface.

I think someone also said he goes lighter for Wimbledon.

Povl Carstensen
06-04-2007, 04:23 AM
I guess with an overgrip, and the slightly heavy gut/alu strings, the racket would come very close to these specs with no lead. And he does not need lead at the top of the handle, since this is part of the k-factor "center of gravity" technique (or what they call it).

RJYU
06-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Interesting. My name is Ron Yu, and I work with Nate Ferguson at Priority One. We're currently here in Paris stringing for seven players. One of these players is Roger Federer. I suppose most of you will have to either believe ART ART or myself. No worries, it doesn't make much difference to me, but I wanted to at least attempt to set the record straight.

Due to contractual stipulations, I won't go into specific racquet specs (Sorry, and I hope that most of you understand). I will mention one inaccuracy from the original post though. Roger is using Wilson gut 1.30mm in the mains with ALU Power Rough in the crosses, just as he's always used ever since he became a client of Priority One back in 2004. Nate and I travel to all the Grand Slam and Masters Series events to string for clients, and one of us has strung Roger's racquets at every one of these tournaments since Hamburg 2004. We certainly hope that this relationship will continue throughout the rest of his career.

Best Regards,

--Ron Yu

sapient007
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
in pounds..

Davidenco: 55/53 lbs. to 46/44 lbs.
Robredo: 57/55 lbs to 46/44 lbs.
Roddick: 50 lbs.
Volandri:37 lbs.

37 lbs. ???

is that right?

:confused:

is 55/53 the numbers of LBS strung for mains/crosses??

or is 55/53 (mains) and 46/44(crosses)

i would understand if it's the warm up session for the FO to have players playing around with tension, but this seems to be a bit late in the game to have tension that far apart on your racquets??

jakshemash
06-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Ron, could you tell me whether or not the made in china is under the designed in the USA on his racquet or under the bridge of the racquet where it says WILSON. Sorry if i asked a question you can't answer. Just tell me you can't answer

P.S I was going to enquire about how ART ART got the info as i thought you guys at P1 did fed's customizations, but i got back from school and you ahd already sort of done that for me.

Thanks anyway

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Ron, could you tell me whether or not the made in china is under the designed in the USA on his racquet or under the bridge of the racquet where it says WILSON. Sorry if i asked a question you can't answer. Just tell me you can't answer

I'm sorry but why does it matter where on the racquet it says "Made in China"? The Asian K90's don't even say "Made in China" anywhere on the frame. As far as the regular K90's, when they first came out they had "Made in China" printed under the bridge of the throat, but more recent production has moved the "Made in China" decal (also a smaller font) to the inside of the throat under the "Designed in USA" decal. But it's still the same racquet, as just a decal was moved, just like earlier production had "[K]arbon Black" on them and more recent production have "[K]arophite Black" on them. Again, it's still the same racquet so why should it matter? :confused:

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Interesting. My name is Ron Yu, and I work with Nate Ferguson at Priority One. We're currently here in Paris stringing for seven players. One of these players is Roger Federer. I suppose most of you will have to either believe ART ART or myself. No worries, it doesn't make much difference to me, but I wanted to at least attempt to set the record straight.

Due to contractual stipulations, I won't go into specific racquet specs (Sorry, and I hope that most of you understand). I will mention one inaccuracy from the original post though. Roger is using Wilson gut 1.30mm in the mains with ALU Power Rough in the crosses, just as he's always used ever since he became a client of Priority One back in 2004. Nate and I travel to all the Grand Slam and Masters Series events to string for clients, and one of us has strung Roger's racquets at every one of these tournaments since Hamburg 2004. We certainly hope that this relationship will continue throughout the rest of his career.

Best Regards,

--Ron Yu
Thanks for chiming in and posting Ron. :D

I totally understand that you're not allowed to post Federer's actual racquet specs, but are you able to say whether or not the racquet specs that ART ART posted are either close to being correct or are they way off?

Thanks

RJYU
06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Breakpoint, ART ART specs are somewhat close. Not right on, but they are in the neighborhood. His tensions for here in Paris are a little high though. Nate is stringing for Roger here, and Roger's tensions have varied from 20 to 21 in the mains, with the crosses always being strung 1.5 kilos looser.

All the work done for me here in Paris. I'm off to London on Thursday, and Nate stays here in Paris as long as a client is still in.

Best Regards,

--Ron Yu

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Ron!

Since you're already leaving Paris, I guess that means you're not the one that personally strings Federer's racquets then, right? ;)

Have a good trip to London. :-D

Jonnyf
06-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Breakpoint, ART ART specs are somewhat close. Not right on, but they are in the neighborhood. His tensions for here in Paris are a little high though. Nate is stringing for Roger here, and Roger's tensions have varied from 20 to 21 in the mains, with the crosses always being strung 1.5 kilos looser.

All the work done for me here in Paris. I'm off to London on Thursday, and Nate stays here in Paris as long as a client is still in.

Best Regards,

--Ron Yu

Hey Mr. Yu,
Since you work with Andy Murray would you be able to give us an approx. SW.(That's unless you use differenct machines that don't calculate SW the way we know it ie. 330)
The info. i've been given is that his Beast is 350g unstrung with monstrous amounts of lead under the CAP grommets

EDIT: ohh are you still renting the cottage in Wimbledon where you filmed the short programme for the BBC before the '05 final where you looked at Fed. and Roddick's rackets

mellofelow
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Less than 50lbs??!! But since he uses them for less than 10 games at a time, it's more like us mortals using strings at 55+ after 10 hrs of play.

RJYU
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Nate and I don't have a set schedule as to who strings Roger's racquets. As of now, I'll be stringing them at Wimbledon. I strung them in Melbourne as well, but since I have to be at Queen's by this weekend, it made more sense for Nate to string for Roger here in Paris. Either way, Roger is happy with Nate or myself stringing for him.

As for Andy Murrray, he does not have a really heavy racquet overall, but the swingweight is quite high.

Yes, Nate and I will be in the same flat in Wimbledon as usual. Its nice to be in the same place year after year. I'm still trying to get a copy of that BBC short program!

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
I see. Thanks again, Ron! :D

Jonnyf
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Nate and I don't have a set schedule as to who strings Roger's racquets. As of now, I'll be stringing them at Wimbledon. I strung them in Melbourne as well, but since I have to be at Queen's by this weekend, it made more sense for Nate to string for Roger here in Paris. Either way, Roger is happy with Nate or myself stringing for him.

As for Andy Murrray, he does not have a really heavy racquet overall, but the swingweight is quite high.

Yes, Nate and I will be in the same flat in Wimbledon as usual. Its nice to be in the same place year after year. I'm still trying to get a copy of that BBC short program!

Hey, add me to the list, I may (and thats a MAY) still have a VHS (haha i know) of the '05 final but I'm not sure if it was recorded early enough for the expo.
The reason it's a may is that I loan the 04 or 05 final to a friend who I don't see anymore and he never returned it.!

I'll have a look if you'd like but it'd take a few days

Pistol Pete
06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Ron Yu I just want to say thanks for posting on the site here. I have heard wonderful things about priority 1 and as a player out of college and playing some futures ... having rackets taken care of properly is very important. You guys are good!
Do you guys ever intend on opening up a setup like RPNY has?

jmverdugo
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Whoa!! things are getting really seriuos around here, a lot of people is reading this forum inst? ... Ron thanks for caring enough to set the things right and taking time to post ...

jakshemash
06-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry but why does it matter where on the racquet it says "Made in China"? The Asian K90's don't even say "Made in China" anywhere on the frame. As far as the regular K90's, when they first came out they had "Made in China" printed under the bridge of the throat, but more recent production has moved the "Made in China" decal (also a smaller font) to the inside of the throat under the "Designed in USA" decal. But it's still the same racquet, as just a decal was moved, just like earlier production had "[K]arbon Black" on them and more recent production have "[K]arophite Black" on them. Again, it's still the same racquet so why should it matter? :confused:

What it has to do with it is that one of my friends got a newer decal and he found that his newer decal racket weighed less than his previous other two karbon and karophite rackets which both came out at 12.2oz compared to the new decals 12.9 oz.

little_e
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM

So he is winning matches this handley without the johncauthen method of weighting it is just not possible all of these people that claim to be stringers at the slams are lying. I only think John is telling the truth nevermind the fact that several stringers keep coming on and telling us what he uses.Alos with no lead then he can't be using the other great racquet customization sw2

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
What it has to do with it is that one of my friends got a newer decal and he found that his newer decal racket weighed less than his previous other two karbon and karophite rackets which both came out at 12.2oz compared to the new decals 12.9 oz.
Wait, you said the new decal racquet "weighed less" but then you said it weighs "12.9 oz." compared to only 12.2 oz.? :confused:

BTW, only the Asian K90 can weigh 12.2 oz. strung. I highly doubt there's any US K90 that weighs only 12.2 oz. strung. In any case, Wilson's spec tolerances are quite generous so any differences in weight is just due to the variance in the actual racquet that he got and not due to where the "Made in China" decal is located.

Also, Federer has all of his racquets matched and weighted to his liking so it really doesn't matter what his racquets weighed from the factory nor where the China decal is. But more likely, the Wilson Pro Room hand selects the frames that he gets so that he only gets the frames that measure exactly to the specs that he specifies. So Wilson's Pro Room may have to go through 100 K90's when they leave the factory to find only 10 that match Federer's specs precisely. Those are the only ones that they ship to Federer.

Poluski
06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Regarding low tension numbers:
Folks, please keep in mind that resultant tension depends on what type of machine was used to string. In short constant pull machines remove some of the initial creep in string that trigger machines (Prince EOS, etc) do not. I'm sure that machines at RG are sophisticated constant pull electronic type. Drop weight machine is another type of constant pull. So from my experience (numerous measurements with String Meter and ERT300) 60lbs on a Prince EOS type is about 50-52 lbs on a constant pull. It all depends on creep properties.

ShooterMcMarco
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
BP, I actually felt the karophite racquet that I own weighed less than the Karbon Black demo I had (probably a quality control issue). I liked the heavier one better

nickb
06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Nice to see some great stringers posting on the boards!

Thanks Ron :D

jmverdugo
06-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Regarding low tension numbers:
Folks, please keep in mind that resultant tension depends on what type of machine was used to string. In short constant pull machines remove some of the initial creep in string that trigger machines (Prince EOS, etc) do not. I'm sure that machines at RG are sophisticated constant pull electronic type. Drop weight machine is another type of constant pull. So from my experience (numerous measurements with String Meter and ERT300) 60lbs on a Prince EOS type is about 50-52 lbs on a constant pull. It all depends on creep properties.

Poluski,

So to get the same final tension on the strings, using a dropweight, that using a trigger machine @ 60 I should set the tension on the DW @ 50-52?, for a given string of course.

Meaning that the tension set on the DW is closer to the final tension of the stringbed than in a trigger machine, is this correct?

nickarnold2000
06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Surely Wilson can improve their quality control consistency. Having rackets that vary so differently in weight is criminal in my opinion and of course the price just keeps going up and up! I can't imagine Toyota or Lexus having this problem.

PurePrestige
06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey Ron,
I understand you can't give away exact specs, but I was wondering if you could answer a question regarding Roger's swingweight.
Greg Raven on these boards received a racket for the USRSA Kid's Day and its measured swingweight was around 330.

For me this seems a little low, I was just wondering if you could give us a hint to its general number.

Poluski
06-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Poluski,

So to get the same final tension on the strings, using a dropweight, that using a trigger machine @ 60 I should set the tension on the DW @ 50-52?, for a given string of course.

Meaning that the tension set on the DW is closer to the final tension of the stringbed than in a trigger machine, is this correct?

jmverdugo you got it. The tensioning step on a trigger last about 1sec. or less. With drop weight it is several seconds thus that time period takes care of a lot of initial tension decay. The notion that pros have started to use lower tensions is not entirely true. The machines got more sophisticated and require lower stringing tensions to arrive at same final tension. If you look at stringforum.net and take a look at their DT (dynamic tension) database (link is at the bottom of page) you will see that majority of tensions are in 50s using constant pull machines.

Mr. Sean
06-04-2007, 06:11 PM
There you go folks. Wilson finally released federers real racuqt to the public and it is indeed the k90. We have no other arguments to say that the racquet that fed uses isnt the same mold as the ones we can buy. I mean the string holes at the pws are the same and the handle is jsut as short. This makes me even happier that I own a k90.

p3z
06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
i would think the problem with trigger type stringers to be more prominent in crosses than mains.

Belafonte
06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
these are strung specs? a balance of 31.8 strung?

jmverdugo
06-05-2007, 05:03 AM
jmverdugo you got it. The tensioning step on a trigger last about 1sec. or less. With drop weight it is several seconds thus that time period takes care of a lot of initial tension decay. The notion that pros have started to use lower tensions is not entirely true. The machines got more sophisticated and require lower stringing tensions to arrive at same final tension. If you look at stringforum.net and take a look at their DT (dynamic tension) database (link is at the bottom of page) you will see that majority of tensions are in 50s using constant pull machines.

Thanks for your answer, I have been on the stringforum site and even took a look on that database but not carefully enough.

Again Thanks

wksoh
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM

Two of my ncodes Tour90 weigh almost exactly 367g each (with strings and wilson pro overgrip) - Stock.

The PS Tour90 I had weighed 360g exactly - strung and with wilson pro overgrip (Stock).

I too expected the Kfactor to be heavier than 367g.

PBODY99
06-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Surely Wilson can improve their quality control consistency. Having rackets that vary so differently in weight is criminal in my opinion and of course the price just keeps going up and up! I can't imagine Toyota or Lexus having this problem.

Is your problem the variation, or the ability to buy a matching frame. Snauweart and Yonex both printed wt and balance point info on some of their frames. If you wnated to match them it was easy. Of course this was in the 1980's and the game was os much different then. Yes, I agree it should be even simplier for the companies to routinely take these measurement but it would increease cost. Now the added value to the hard core player, that is what they should care about. Qualiity building brand loyalty over marketing. No disrespect to Sir Roger is intended nor should be infered from this post.

FrancisFreym
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
This racket seems very heavy for Federer ?

Strung at 40? Seems very low for him ~

Just my opinion =]

a guy
06-05-2007, 02:34 PM
8 pts head light?

I thought pros rackets were even or head heavy?

armand
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah the specs of Federer's racquet don't seem wild. But to me, it was never a question of specs or string spacing or shorter pallets. To me, the crucial part is what material the racquet is constructed out of.
BTW, only the Asian K90 can weigh 12.2 oz. strung. I highly doubt there's any US K90 that weighs only 12.2 oz. strung.You underestimate Wilson's lack of quality control. The Prostaff Tour 90 is supposed to weigh(I'm not even sure what that means) 12.7oz. Mine weighs 12.2 strung.

barry
06-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Wilson overgrip.

Best Regards from Paris.

Great information, cleared up a lot of confusion. Are most of the pro's these days using leather grips or synthetic?

ART ART
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi again, maybe a little late to post now, but here it goes...
My specs are 100% correct, and one more thing the made in china is under the bridge of the racquet where it says WILSON, but why this question?
If it's really Ron that posted here... he can confirm this. BWY yes is P1 that is stringing for some Players(... don't ask me more about this subject, I can't go in deep details.), but why keep the specs in secret Ron? everyone around here can confirm this specs... or maybe is because Wilson is joking with the customers, regarding the bad control quality of his rackets?
Nevertheless I guess this was suposed to be kept in secret for the rest of the mortals... but not anymore!

Best Regards.

travlerajm
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi again, maybe a little late to post now, but here it goes...
My specs are 100% correct, and one more thing the made in china is under the bridge of the racquet where it says WILSON, but why this question?
If it's really Ron that posted here... he can confirm this. BWY yes is P1 that is stringing for some Players(... don't ask me more about this subject, I can't go in deep details.), but why keep the specs in secret Ron? everyone around here can confirm this specs... or maybe is because Wilson is joking with the customers, regarding the bad control quality of his rackets?
Nevertheless I guess this was suposed to be kept in secret for the rest of the mortals... but not anymore!

Best Regards.

Hey ART ART,

Did you at least pick up the racquet and give it a swing to estimate the swingweight?

ART ART
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey ART ART,

Did you at least pick up the racquet and give it a swing to estimate the swingweight?

Me and more 2 guys here have regulars K90, and the specs are almost identical to the one we check here, and the same goes for the swingweight when we swing it.
The only difference in his rackets, is the built buttcap of his rackets, makes it felt like a buttcap from a grip number 4 1/2, but it says 4 3/8, is buttcap is surelly customized.

Like most of the readers, most of us around here, we are full of this **crap secrety** around some rackets specs... but if you ask to most of the players here, the specs of his rackets, they tell you without any kind of problems... so we just don't get the point of some "guys" by keeping the specs in secret? ... almost 100% of the player's that we have a conversation regarding rackets, strings and other stuff, are all open minds, without secrets.
But if we talk to some Prince, Wilson, Babolat or other silly guys from the manufacter company, they are a bunch of silly sellers...

Best Regards

Povl Carstensen
06-08-2007, 04:23 AM
So ART ART, you and Priority One string Federers rackets with different gauges string?

ART ART
06-08-2007, 05:59 AM
So ART ART, you and Priority One string Federers rackets with different gauges string?
A small black bag with WILSON on top, with gut. If it's 1.30mm or 1.25mm... I bet it's 1.25mm, it doesn't say the gauge. But ok ok, I will end here, since this is causing very bad sensations to some EXPERTS around here.
If others have some reasonable questions to ask I will answer, but not anymore silly questions from some GURUs around here.

Best Regards

nickarnold2000
06-08-2007, 08:05 AM
If I were Fed I wouldn't tell anyone either about racket specs. Keep your opponents guessing; is it the racket or the strings as to why this guy is so good?

Rabbit
06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
If I were Fed I wouldn't tell anyone either about racket specs. Keep your opponents guessing; is it the racket or the strings as to why this guy is so good?

It's the....<drumroll>......guy. It ain't the stick or the strings, it's the guy swinging the stick with the strings.

nickarnold2000
06-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes, I completely agree but with the pros if a strategy can give you a 1% advantage it might be enough to pull out a tight match. Psychology can play a part here.

Rabbit
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Ok, whatever....

neo
06-09-2007, 07:10 AM
A small black bag with WILSON on top, with gut. If it's 1.30mm or 1.25mm... I bet it's 1.25mm, it doesn't say the gauge. But ok ok, I will end here, since this is causing very bad sensations to some EXPERTS around here.
If others have some reasonable questions to ask I will answer, but not anymore silly questions from some GURUs around here.

Best Regards
Thank you very much for your posts, I am sure most readers here appreciate them very much just like I do. Please keep it up!

I also find it strange that some stringers insist on keeping it secret, even when players don't ask them to keep it secret, and continue to openly tell anyone who asks.

ART ART
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I guys, just an update from Europe:
One friend of mine that use to work at RG, and knows a lot of people in the backstage of most ATP tournments, said that roger is using less weight in is racket's nowadays.
Something around 345 to 350grams strung, but with an higher balance point, something like 32,5cm to 33cm, this was measured this days in Europe, and it seems that was already used before the US open, by Roger. But he was not sure if it was used in the US open.
Next month I probably will go to Madrid Masters, and try to see if I can reach it's backstage, since I already talked about it with this friend of mine, and since he knows lot's of people around, I hope I can reach the stringers there.

I will keep up the info, even if someone came here and say that he his the one that strings for roger, and nothing else is correct(specs) or nobody can access is rackets... that is bs.
Roger and others have personal stringers but they also use outside stringers most of the time, this is a fact and everybody knows.

Best Regards

hyperwarrior
11-17-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm wondering why Federer doesn't use a thinner strings...

Povl Carstensen
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
The higher weight of thicker strings give a different feel than thinner strings imo.

Ross K
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/RRohan/old_thread.jpg

:)

R.