PDA

View Full Version : Guillermo Canas not a spolier and

AAAA
06-03-2007, 07:58 AM
don't make it one. Watching him play now and he's hitting double handed backhands. I'm 100% sure he had a one handed backhand so when did he switch?

Baghdatis72
06-03-2007, 08:01 AM
He's had a 2 handed backhand as long as I remember this year.

pabloJD
06-03-2007, 08:31 AM
He's had a 2 handed backhand at least since he turned pro

Baghdatis72
06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah I remember him having a 2 handed backhand before he was banned from the tour too. In Montreal 2002 MS final against Roddick I remember his using a 2 handed backhand so if he ever used a 1 handed backhand it was many years ago.

AAAA
06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Has he? He has? I have this imagine of Canas as manic energy hitting heavy single handed topspin shots off both wings. I must be confusing him with some other player.

Baghdatis72
06-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Has he? He has? I have this imagine of Canas as manic energy hitting heavy single handed topspin shots off both wings. I must be confusing him with some other player.

Probably you are. Haas hits 1 hbh, Kohlschreiber if I remember well, Federer, Robredo, Gonzalez, Gasquet, Patience ...

AAAA
06-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Probably you are. Haas hits 1 hbh, Kohlschreiber if I remember well, Federer, Robredo, Gonzalez, Gasquet, Patience ...

Looks like it. Didn't find any pics of him hitting a 1handed bh.

!Tym
06-03-2007, 10:54 AM

Yup, definitely a two hander his whole career. Still remember the first time watching him against Henman at the Canadian or Ciny masters I believe.

I also remember him playing Spadea at the US Open when Spadea was seeded and at a career high point. He sprained his ankle during the match and everyone thought he'd retire, but instead the guy just fought even harder and gave Spadea a heckuva a match anyway. Even then, the guy had UNBELIEVABLE heart...and, yup, a two-hander.

The guy who had a two-hander when he started the tour but switched to a one-hander was the 90s clay court journeyman Fernando Melligeni, actually quite a fluid and talented player (though lacked power and size) but was known to not to try hard enough because he came from a very rich family and didn't NEED tennis as much as the other Latin American players. He made the semis of the French once, so he was an upper tier journeyman.

It's really quite amazing, that he was able to switch to a one-hander that late in the game. And yet the even more amazing thing was that his backhand really wasn't a weakness, his one-hander was actually quite good, a very fluid mover and shot. Such a loosey-goosey quality to his game and strokes, and a funny looking face too. In a way, he was kind of like a mini-Guga in some respects without the heart or height or power.

Andres
06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Puerta, perhaps?
Caņas has been using a two hander since he was 5 or 6 :p

marialover
06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
don't make it one. Watching him play now and he's hitting double handed backhands. I'm 100% sure he had a one handed backhand so when did he switch?

Having always followed Canas since he appeared on the tour I know that he always had a rock solid two handed backhand and beautiful buttocks.

Sup2Dresq
06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I think you were watching highlights of his prior french open matches, because one of them had him playing a guy who looked a lot like him. Guess what he had a one hander. Anyways mid way through the highlights they both changes shirts (white for Canas from Red, the other guy reverse). Made me do a double take and I actually had to watch it again to be convinced. Maybe it was that. I remember it fooled me but I always knew he played with a two hander.

fastdunn
06-04-2007, 12:17 PM
He changed his hair style.

Before the ban he looked kinda stupid(see ATP pciture)
now he looks more stylish and tough.

I'm surprised a guy's hair style can changed the look this much.

AAAA
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Puerta, perhaps?
Caņas has been using a two hander since he was 5 or 6 :p

The only thing I can think of is perhaps Canas used to run around his backhand to hit forehands hence my memories of a player taking huge swings at the ball off both sides to hit high topspin shots.

FiveO
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Are you possibly thinking of Albert Costa?

Don Felder
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I remember seeing Canas take Safin out in Cinci in 01 or 02... he definitely had a 2H because i remember noticing how strange his grip was... he chokes up his left hand so high that its on the throat. One of the most unusual grips I've seen in the pro game... very hard to notice on TV except for close-up replays. Anyone seen this strange grip he uses?

AAAA
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Are you possibly thinking of Albert Costa?

I think it's a case of me thinking Canas had a two handed backhand when he never did. It's been a long time since I've seen him on TV.

Andres
06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I think it's a case of me thinking Canas had a two handed backhand when he never did. It's been a long time since I've seen him on TV.
You mean, a one handed, right? ;)

AAAA
06-04-2007, 03:07 PM
You mean, a one handed, right? ;)

Yeah right. This mystery player is confusing me let's close this thread and move on.

Andres
06-04-2007, 03:09 PM
OK ;)

For the record:
Cañas, from Tapiales, Argentina, has used a TWO HANDED BACKHAND since he started to play tennis. He often runs around his BH to hit an inside out forehand, and can't really hit a REAL DTL backhand... it goes slightly to the center of the court. I haven't seen him painting the lines with a DTL backhand. His crosscourt backhand is rock solid ;)

He's a Sagittarius, wears a size 13 shoe, his favourite colour is blue, and loves long walks on the beach and sunsets :)

AAAA
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
'He often runs around his BH to hit an inside out forehand, and can't really hit a REAL DTL backhand...'

That explains why I recall seeing the same type of shot from both fh and bh sides. CASE CLOSED 2007-JUNE-04.