PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova in Russian means....

Rabbit
06-03-2007, 10:05 AM
greaseball

I could care less if Maria Sharapova ever wins another tennis match. Anyone and everyone who ever said anything bad about Henin against Williams a few years ago should say the same about Sharapova. The referees are p!ss poor in my opinion. A few years ago, there would have been no question but to play two. Sharapova should have offered, but pulled her Henin routine proving once again that it's not how you play the game as long as you win. She is despicable.

On top of that, she "ices" Schnyder with that change of rackets when Schnyder was up 40 - 15. Gamesmanship, pure and simple.

Her little turn and not face your opponent routine is creepy as well. She does her little fist pump and her shrieks get louder as the score gets closer and then disappears only to reappear mid point.

I guess she comes by it honestly though. Papa Greaseball is the ultimate creep. I guess Motorola isn't paying him to wear his little cap any more. I guess now I can buy a Motorola product.

Lots of folks on these boards use the word "hater". I can honestly say that as far as this duo is concerned the term describes me to a tee. I can't stand either of them.

Kim
06-03-2007, 10:08 AM
What happened with Henin and Serena a few years back??

Voltron
06-03-2007, 10:10 AM
^^^^^

I concur, the shrieking/grunting is what really gets to me though, I don't like any of the players that do that, IE Williams sisters, Nadal, etc etc......

J-man
06-03-2007, 10:17 AM
What happened with Henin and Serena a few years back??Something very similar in today's match against Schnyder. I'm not sure because I wasn't even watching let alone into tennis a few years back

BluDiamond
06-03-2007, 10:17 AM
does it really mean greaseball??

Lsmkenpo
06-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Something very similar in today's match against Schnyder. I'm not sure because I wasn't even watching let alone into tennis a few years back

If i remember correctly Henin held here hand up during serena's serve, she than faulted. The referee didnt see Henins hand up and when he asked her if she did she denied it.

mdjenders
06-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I thought it meant "annoying ****", but I will take your word on "greaseball".

Lsmkenpo
06-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Wouldnt it be awesome if just one time someone came over the net and gave her an attitude adjustment, thats what it will take, because she is getting out of hand, and will continue until someone puts her in her place.

mdjenders
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
If by "attitude adjustment" you mean "punch to the face", then yes, that would be awesome.

charlottefromca
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Wouldnt it be awesome if just one time someone came over the net and gave her an attitude adjustment

LOL, maybe a teenage Martina Hingis would have done that..

B*** slap

Shrieking Diva vs Cocky Brat.. I would pay to see it!

I heart martina hingis by the way..

mJeez4293
06-03-2007, 10:30 AM
im pretty sure it means hottie

Lsmkenpo
06-03-2007, 10:32 AM
If by "attitude adjustment" you mean "punch to the face", then yes, that would be awesome.

punch to the face, kick to the groin, maybe a headlock any of those would suffice.

jamumafa
06-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Hmm her shrieks get louder the more important the point is. Thats a hinderance and she should be punished. when she's up, you hardly hear it

hyrulemaster
06-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Not very many people seem to like Sharapova. I noticed this especially during this match. Watching her play is scary because she seems mean as hell. She does these extremely loud "COME ON!"s when she wins a point, and makes terrible shrieking noises when she is chasing a ball and misses it. She makes nasty faces and seems to only care about winning. She hit such a pipsqueak serve that shot, couldnt have been more than 80 mph, and yet she still wins the point because she didnt offer to take two more. She really acts mean as hell and like she only cares about winning which makes her very unpopular among other tour players and spectators. The only reason she is so big is because she's hot...

Mats Wilander called Sharapova a "mindless basher" which is true to some extent, but on top of that she is a mindless basher with no respect for the sport who will scare opponents off by just walking off the court to switch rackets when she is down in a game, by shouting Comeons everytime she wins, and making atrocious noises everytime she loses a point, then topping it off with a nasty face.

z-money
06-03-2007, 10:36 AM
greaseball

I could care less if Maria Sharapova ever wins another tennis match. Anyone and everyone who ever said anything bad about Henin against Williams a few years ago should say the same about Sharapova. The referees are p!ss poor in my opinion. A few years ago, there would have been no question but to play two. Sharapova should have offered, but pulled her Henin routine proving once again that it's not how you play the game as long as you win. She is despicable.

On top of that, she "ices" Schnyder with that change of rackets when Schnyder was up 40 - 15. Gamesmanship, pure and simple.

Her little turn and not face your opponent routine is creepy as well. She does her little fist pump and her shrieks get louder as the score gets closer and then disappears only to reappear mid point.

I guess she comes by it honestly though. Papa Greaseball is the ultimate creep. I guess Motorola isn't paying him to wear his little cap any more. I guess now I can buy a Motorola product.

Lots of folks on these boards use the word "hater". I can honestly say that as far as this duo is concerned the term describes me to a tee. I can't stand either of them.

Right on rabbit!

vicnan
06-03-2007, 10:40 AM
It probably means bukkakeru.

War, Safin!
06-03-2007, 10:40 AM
You guys actually watch women's tennis?

http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh2.gif http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh2.gif

NoBadMojo
06-03-2007, 10:41 AM
no argument here....also, when she was getting thumped, she also called for the trainer earlier in the match..she was given some magic pills then reeled off a few games in a row....pure gamesmanship.

people say what heart she has..what a load of crap..she was gagging out there big time..she was just gagging less than Patti..i felt bad for Patti..i thought she handled her self with grace and really good sportsmanship ..she deserved better this day

also, her shoulder excuses when she actually had the yips on her serve are beyond lame

bad parents and bad parenting makes for bad kids. i think Prince should cancel her contract as should Nike....she's the opposite of class..she's disgusting, and bad for tennis in general let alone the companies who sponsor her....the advertisers of TV tennis arent helped as i think many people have the volume muted when she plays anyway and dont even hear the commercials

War, Safin!
06-03-2007, 10:46 AM
no argument here....also, when she was getting thumped, she also called for the trainer earlier in the match..she was given some magic pills then reeled off a few games in a row....pure gamesmanship.

people say what heart she has..what a load of crap..she was gagging out there big time..she was just gagging less than Patti..i felt bad for Patti..i thought she handled her self with grace and really good sportsmanship ..she deserved better this day

also, her shoulder excuses when she actually had the yips on her serve are beyond lame

bad parents and bad parenting makes for bad kids. i think Prince should cancel her contract as should Nike....she's the opposite of class..she's disgusting, and bad for tennis in general let alone the companies who sponsor her....the advertisers of TV tennis arent helped as i think many people have the volume muted when she plays anyway and dont even hear the commercials
http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/bears.gif http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/bears.gif

jamumafa
06-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Wait, what happened with the taking two thing? I didn't see that

hyrulemaster
06-03-2007, 10:56 AM
and bad for tennis in general let alone the companies who sponsor her....the advertisers of TV tennis arent helped as i think many people have the volume muted when she plays anyway and dont even hear the commercials

LOL
hahahah good one

MJM2324
06-03-2007, 11:03 AM

It worked didn't it? That's all that matters really...

Butters!
06-03-2007, 11:11 AM
You guys think this girl is bad? Some of you people are too young to remember true jerks like Nastase and Connors in their playing days. Now THEY were bad. The grunting or screaming doesn't bother me since Kuerten grunted all the time and Seles screamed just as much. I guess I have a high tolerance. But people in here are making this out to be some sort of crime against humanity. It's just tennis people, get some perspective. Do any of you people have kids out in Iraq right now fighting a senseless war that we have no business being in? Instead we are complaining about tennis coverage, grunts and screams. We need to take a time to reflect on the bigger picture here. And to second War, Safin's point, you people watch women's tennis? :confused:

J-man
06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Don't be an *** leave Iraq out of it. I don't think Sharapova is bad but she's annoying as hell. There is a difference between being a jerk and an annoance

RedKat
06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
does it really mean greaseball??

No, it doesn't. There is no real meaning to this word

Mr. Sean
06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Not very many people seem to like Sharapova. I noticed this especially during this match. Watching her play is scary because she seems mean as hell. She does these extremely loud "COME ON!"s when she wins a point, and makes terrible shrieking noises when she is chasing a ball and misses it. She makes nasty faces and seems to only care about winning. She hit such a pipsqueak serve that shot, couldnt have been more than 80 mph, and yet she still wins the point because she didnt offer to take two more. She really acts mean as hell and like she only cares about winning which makes her very unpopular among other tour players and spectators. The only reason she is so big is because she's hot...

Mats Wilander called Sharapova a "mindless basher" which is true to some extent, but on top of that she is a mindless basher with no respect for the sport who will scare opponents off by just walking off the court to switch rackets when she is down in a game, by shouting Comeons everytime she wins, and making atrocious noises everytime she loses a point, then topping it off with a nasty face.

Wait a minute here. Why are we bashing on someone that likes to win. Isnt the point of playing tennis to win. You really think pro players go out there jsut to have fan. You have to put yourself in sharapovas shoes. She does this stuff for a living so her main goal is to win in ordere to gain money. As for the grunting that is questionable because it really does get louder when she is down. It could be a self motivating type thing. Also why are we bashing on somone that has a warriors mentality whne on court. I think that mentality is one of the best thigns to have. People credit hewitts mental game was being the best same with conners. Both players had warriors mentalities and played every point as if it were their last and treated their opponents as if they were an enmie in a sense. However once the match and the competitive environment was over they were normal people again. I think sharapova plays with a lot of heart and fire out there. I think the only thing thats needs to change about this woman is the excessive grunting which in my opinion gets pretty annoying after awhile.

alcap26
06-03-2007, 11:35 AM
You guys think this girl is bad? Some of you people are too young to remember true jerks like Nastase and Connors in their playing days. Now THEY were bad. The grunting or screaming doesn't bother me since Kuerten grunted all the time and Seles screamed just as much. I guess I have a high tolerance. But people in here are making this out to be some sort of crime against humanity. It's just tennis people, get some perspective.

AMEN brother...I agree with this part but not with the Iraq analogy.

jmverdugo
06-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the point is not her wanting to win, of course that is not bad it self, but there are ways to win and to behave, and i think the way she Choose to do it is wrong. About the Irak thing, of course there are other more important things happening in the WHOLE WORLD, but that doesn mean we cant worry about other small things. And yes some old guys were far more annoying, but as it was in the past, it is still wrong and it does not make her behaviour better.

Craig Sheppard
06-03-2007, 12:11 PM
greaseball

<clap> <clap> <clap> Right on man.

Especially the last bit... can't say either of them anything good for the game, other than get something about tennis (her mugshot) on commercials and magazines.

insiderman
06-03-2007, 12:19 PM
No matter how you translate it...it means; "money" - leave her to be the best she can be - funny it seems, wonder if she played with a non-Prince frame, if those who so strongly support other Brands, would still be on the hate-wagon.

I'm lucky to know her personally, and have since she was so 9-years old, as well as Jiri, and they are not the 'monsters' some tend to think they are...

The young lady can totally 'ball'...respect that for "that".

mentalcase
06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
She is revolting. She's lucky she isn't an ugly girl because noone would support her!

Her antics are the same as Serenas!

Nextman916
06-03-2007, 12:37 PM
that ho can scream in my bed all day!......
No not like that you nasties!
I mean once i kidnapp her and shove a towel down her throat, she can try screaming on my bed all day.

Rabbit
06-03-2007, 01:02 PM
You guys think this girl is bad? Some of you people are too young to remember true jerks like Nastase and Connors in their playing days. Now THEY were bad. The grunting or screaming doesn't bother me since Kuerten grunted all the time and Seles screamed just as much. I guess I have a high tolerance. But people in here are making this out to be some sort of crime against humanity. It's just tennis people, get some perspective. Do any of you people have kids out in Iraq right now fighting a senseless war that we have no business being in? Instead we are complaining about tennis coverage, grunts and screams. We need to take a time to reflect on the bigger picture here. And to second War, Safin's point, you people watch women's tennis? :confused:

Difference bewtween Nastase and Connors and Sharapova is that they at least had a sense of humor which is strangely absent in Sharapova's world. She is self-absorbed to the point of nausea.

You need to visit the Bill Maher boards with your other comments, they are totally inappropriate in here.

Wait a minute here. Why are we bashing on someone that likes to win. Isnt the point of playing tennis to win.

And that attitude is exactly what's wrong with sports today. There is no sportsmanship. It's all about winning in any way, by the rules or not. I'm sorry, but this is the exact kind of bravo sierra that turns me off sports today. I guess you'd be a big fan of Neon Deon, Michael Irvin and the king of them all Terrell Owens as well.

Lastly but not leastly, Sharapova is completely dillusional. She went out on court after the match to blow kisses and wave to a crowd that clearly thought she took the low road during the match, displayed no sportsmanship, and basically stole the "W".

OK, so she plays Williams next round. Maybe we can have the first lose/lose tennis match in the history of the sport.

Baghdatis72
06-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Eventually Shriekapova will get what she deserves (a fresh bagel) as she will meet Serena again some time soon and get the freshly baked bagel Serena likes handling to her.

It would be nice if they could tie her lips together so that the matches can take place without her annoying screaming.

Slazenger
06-03-2007, 04:12 PM

http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh2.gif http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh2.gif

A ha ha hah a

Wait I do watch women's tennis :mad:

zapvor
06-03-2007, 04:51 PM

LOL my ex-coach says that all the time. he had a different acronomyn for WTA but i dont think i should repeat it

J-man
06-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh come on I wanna hear it Zapvor!

BigGriff
06-03-2007, 06:19 PM
After watching the match, I was shocked that Masha walked off the court and changed racquets when it was 40-15 in a critical point of the match for Patti. Masha didn't break a string? She wanted to break Patti's rhythm.

At one point in the match, Patti stops play for the chair umpire to check a mark and Masha pegs Patti in the shoulder instead of hitting into the open court.

The chair umpire didn't have enough back bone to have the players replay the point because some idiot was screaming prior to the point being started. Patti's hand was raised and it was pretty easy to notice.

Masha's grunts don't bother me but the stare downs across the net when an opponent generates an unforced error are really ridiculous.

I also love how she makes the server wait because she turns her back and straightens her strings. I was hoping Patti would serve when her back was turned.

I was most impressed by the fans at RG. They really cheered for Patti because she was a class act.

zapvor
06-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh come on I wanna hear it Zapvor!

haha. well honestly i dont remember what it was exactly, but we were watching some junior girls at a tournment and we were at the sidelines when he said it. we both laughed so loud,haha

Slazenger
06-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Lastly but not leastly, Sharapova is completely dillusional. She went out on court after the match to blow kisses and wave to a crowd that clearly thought she took the low road during the match, displayed no sportsmanship, and basically stole the "W".

Wow now she stole the win. LOL. She didn't steal anything from Patty 'headcase' Schnyder. She won fair and square.

rounick
06-03-2007, 06:32 PM
What a disgrace for the sport this girl is.
She and her revolting father should be banned from every court on the planet.
At least the french crowd treated her the way she deserves.

I'm so mad at Schnyder for not sending her crying in the locker room..

zapvor
06-03-2007, 06:33 PM
is there a post match conference interview on youtube somewhere?

mJeez4293
06-03-2007, 07:27 PM
zapvor pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol id use it soo often

try to think of it will ya thanks

McGee
06-03-2007, 07:39 PM
What a disgrace for the sport this girl is.
She and her revolting father should be banned from every court on the planet.
At least the french crowd treated her the way she deserves.

I'm so mad at Schnyder for not sending her crying in the locker room..

I just watched the match on recording. Sharapova is officially the biggest ahole in tennis. It was funny watching her try to smile and clap after the match when it was obvious that the fans thought she was a jerk and were cat-calling her during her "celebration".

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
It worked didn't it? That's all that matters really...
So committing murder is also OK as long as you get away with it? :confused:

Nerub
06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
ZZZZZZzzZZZZzzzZZZZZ she didn't see Schnyder's hand, and that's that. It wasn't her fault, it was the umpire's for not calling a second take when Schnyder complained. It is not her obligation to offer her opponent a point that she had already won, the umpire ruled against Schnyder; and Sharapova shouldn't be blamed for that. Of course, this is my opinion; so don't go all ballistic on me you Sharapova haters.

dunloplayah
06-03-2007, 08:03 PM

Ha ha ha ha :D

I dont' like her style, it's made her ugly to me. it's the bolleteri "method" all over her to. She grew up in bradenton under this meglomanic plus her thug father who has *****d her out to make his millions via her. obviously I'm not a fan. The noises are just plain crap and if she had what it took to really make it, then she wouldn't need all the tricks to win!

I don't hate her, never. I just don't want her to win anymore, and would like WTA much better when she is gone!

Butters!
06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Difference bewtween Nastase and Connors and Sharapova is that they at least had a sense of humor which is strangely absent in Sharapova's world. She is self-absorbed to the point of nausea.

You need to visit the Bill Maher boards with your other comments, they are totally inappropriate in here.

And that attitude is exactly what's wrong with sports today. There is no sportsmanship. It's all about winning in any way, by the rules or not. I'm sorry, but this is the exact kind of bravo sierra that turns me off sports today. I guess you'd be a big fan of Neon Deon, Michael Irvin and the king of them all Terrell Owens as well.

OK, so she plays Williams next round. Maybe we can have the first lose/lose tennis match in the history of the sport.

Wait a minute here, so because those guys had a sense of humor about their bad attitude´s it made it alright to act like aholes? You are right with your statement on Sharapova but I´m just saying that I´ve seen worse behavior in my day. I can imagine what this place would be like if they were playing now.

But yes, Maria was wrong in changing sticks in the middle of a game even when there was no string broken. Bad gamesmanship. But after watching Roland Garros so many years there´s one thing they like more than cheering for the underdog and that´s booing players. They get off on it. That Serena-Henin match, Hingis-Graf and so forth.

zapvor
06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
zapvor pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol id use it soo often

try to think of it will ya thanks

lol man you guys really want to know. you know what, i will ask my coach and see if he remmebrs.

kaztennis
06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
no argument here....

I agree with this thread. What's the meaning of winning with a poor sportsmanship...bad parents and bad parenting makes bad kids is so true.

kaztennis
06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
After watching the match, I was shocked that Masha walked off the court and changed racquets when it was 40-15 in a critical point of the match for Patti.

The chair umpire didn't have enough back bone to have the players replay the point because some idiot was screaming prior to the point being started. Patti's hand was raised and it was pretty easy to notice.

I was most impressed by the fans at RG. They really cheered for Patti because she was a class act.

Totally agree. No sportsmanship. Having the warrior mentality to win is great but one should do that with sportmanship. It shows money/winning means more to her than being nice. But as someone mentioned, as for the 'ace', it really was an umpire's call so I wouldn't totally say Sharapova was 100% unfair but for changing racquets at that timing, I would say it wasn't appropriate. I don't hate Sharapova as a Sharapova Hater! just because she gets all the attention in the WTA tennis. I would make the same statement even if this happened to a non-famous player at a USTA league tennis. It's just about sportsmanship and has nothing to do with her name or her status as the famed Sharapova...just my thoughts.

marialover
06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
ZZZZZZzzZZZZzzzZZZZZ she didn't see Schnyder's hand, and that's that. It wasn't her fault, it was the umpire's for not calling a second take when Schnyder complained. It is not her obligation to offer her opponent a point that she had already won, the umpire ruled against Schnyder; and Sharapova shouldn't be blamed for that. Of course, this is my opinion; so don't go all ballistic on me you Sharapova haters.

I agree with you. I replayed that portion of the match and Sharapova did not appear to notice schnyder's hand gesture until after she struck her serve. The chair umpire was 100% to blame in this case. Patty should have been able to get the referee out and any camera could have been used to rewind and clearly see she stopped play.

I am not sure but I think the name Sharapov(a) means banana.

bobby
06-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, Schynder didn't hold up her hand until Maria was already hitting her serve. The guy's yell obviously distracted her, but unfortunately she didn't have the time to put up her hand before Maria hit the serve. You can't blame Maria for that. Good sportsmanship would have been to offer to replay the point, but I wouldn't call it bad sportsmanship that she took the point. However, the whole racquet changing thing was obviously a cooling tactic and that wasn't very sporting.

epicsocks
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Ya, I'd do'er.

Pr0DiGy
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Just to clarify for a few:

Most of us don't care that she wants to win, but we seriously hate what she's willing to do to win. Changing rackets at 40-15 is clearly, to me, solely to break Schnyder's concentration and rhythm. The screams are extremely distracting to the other player. I know whenever I play I like to have a clear and focused mind, and there's no way that would be possible with a person screaming at the top of her lungs on the other side of the net.

Steve Dykstra
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah, Schynder didn't hold up her hand until Maria was already hitting her serve. The guy's yell obviously distracted her, but unfortunately she didn't have the time to put up her hand before Maria hit the serve. You can't blame Maria for that. Good sportsmanship would have been to offer to replay the point, but I wouldn't call it bad sportsmanship that she took the point.

I think Sharapova was well aware that Schnyder did not make any effort to return her serve, even though she might not have seen Schnyder holding up her hand before she served.

Alex132
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Rabbit why the hell u even defending Schnyder.....who the hell is she ? # 1000000 ? :S

it does NOT mean greaseball guys, i know...i speak Russian

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Rabbit why the hell u even defending Schnyder.....who the hell is she ? # 1000000 ? :S

Does it mean banana?;)

Zverev
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
...from quick googling around...

Sharap looks like Turkish origin, means wine.
It might be true as Russian cossacks bordered Turks for centuries,
since there are plenty of Turkic words in Russian vocabulary,
say, shapka (hat), bashka (slang for head), bogatir (strong man),
even...turk (means fool in Russian)....

Phil
06-04-2007, 06:34 PM
greaseball

Couldn't agree more, Rabbit-san. I think the father is much worse though, and I'm glad you mentioned him. He, after all, inclulcated in his daughter his own scumbag "values". If this is what it takes to be a "winner", I'll take the runner ups every time.

Sadly, Sharapova will be front and center in the public eye for as long as her sponsers feel she's bolstering their brands and makin' them money-meaning, we're stuck with her for the next 3 or 4 years or so.

zapvor
06-04-2007, 06:36 PM
ok so i IMed my ex coach and asked him if he remembers what funny acronym he came up with for WTA, and his reply:

"What's funnier than the WTA?"

Rumjungle
06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
It shows money/winning means more to her than being nice.

Is this pro tennis or peace corps? I'm more a fan of Snyder than Maria but going so far as hating someone because they aren't as nice as you'd like them to be is ridiculous. If it's within the rules, then there's nothing wrong with it. If you have a problem with rules being bent, direct your concerns at the governing body. Players are paid to win whether we like it or not. No one is getting sponsored to be more patient or classy during a heated match.

HELPmeh
06-04-2007, 08:11 PM
stopp flaming sharapova, just cuz she wins
wow as long as sharapova wins everything is coool.
Winning is wayy more important than gamesmanship and sportsmanship ;)
++ sharapova is uberrr hott

Rabbit
06-05-2007, 04:43 AM

OK, here's a new term for you poetic license. You already seem to have literal down.

And, for the record, I wasn't defending Schnyder. I was making a fairly scathing comment on Sharapova's complete and total lack of integrity, sportsmanship, and respect for the game. I also included her father in this diatribe because he is about as greasy as they come.

As for Schynder, she was about as professional in that match as they come. She wasn't running around pumping her fists, shrieking at the top of her lungs (some of the time), glaring across the net, or turning her back on her opponent ostensibly collecting herself all the while trying to disrupt her opponent's rythym.

No, Schynder was ready to return serve at the server's pace. She didn't glare over the net. She didn't continually beat her fist against her chest to show how much heart she had. She didn't point up at the sky to somehow infer that God had a stake in the match.

And, when the crowd began booing the umpire and her classless opponent, Schynder thanked them for their support in a very understated manner and then asked them to be quiet in a likewise understated manner.

After losing the tightest match in this year's French Open, Schynder then signed autographs while her classless opponent who was too busy blowing kisses and waving to a crowd that was intently and justifiably booing her.

I think that about sums it up.

Disclaimer: I was and am fully aware that Sharapov(a) does not translate to "greaseball". I was making a point.

jelle v
06-05-2007, 05:24 AM
Wouldnt it be awesome if just one time someone came over the net and gave her an attitude adjustment, thats what it will take, because she is getting out of hand, and will continue until someone puts her in her place.

There must come a moment when someone must get really ****ed during a match and get into an argument with her. Something like accusing her of really poor sportmanship and calling her names etc. I would love for that to happen and then a media-attack would begin with accusing Sharapova untill she finally calls it a day and disappears from the tour.

cbtennisdude
06-05-2007, 06:25 AM
sharapova is a great tennis player, that is all that matters

TheTruth
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Sharapova in Russians means...

---h---!

RafaN RichardG
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM

guess who's still in the tournament? sharapova. you have to be a killer out there, theres no room to be nice on the court. the one who's the good sport gets a pat on the back, the winner is the one with the results and prize money. however, i don't like what either she or henin(a few years ago) did, it was very nasty and they both gave me a bad taste in my mouth. but its not fair to disown her from this one thing...it sure didn't stop anyone from disliking Henin. they are both great tennis players and thats not all[I] that matters, but i think its safe to say that its mostly about the tennis, not about who likes/dislikes you because [I]someone will always find something wrong with you...
its not about making friends out there, which people here seem to forget and neglect to apply to the the Williamses, and situations like this. if the player happens to make friends as a result of a good attitude, then more power to that player. but that should only be a side effect, not the deciding factor in how you play or act (see John McEnroe). this does not mean that to win players should start pulling stuff like this. but stuff happens, and stuff like this incident happens even less.

Rabbit
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
^I disagree. Sports have always been about two things, competition and sportsmanship.

Anyone argue this: How many fans would Sharavpova had won if she had taken the high road and:

1) Insisted to the ump that two be played on the serve that Schynder clearly wasn't prepared for

and

2) Done the right thing and played through instead of emploring the sleazy tactics she did when she switched rackets

?

Had she done just #1, the match probably would have been remembered as a great comback rather than what it was, another example of dirty pool. I understand winning, but I also understand earning a victory and Sharapova clearly didn't earn this one the right way.

And, you're wrong. There were plenty on these boards who called Henin greasy when she pulled her stunt with Williams a few years ago, plenty. And, truth be told, Henin should have played two just like Sharapova.

Polaris
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Anyone argue this: How many fans would Sharavpova had won if she had taken the high road and:

1) Insisted to the ump that two be played on the serve that Schynder clearly wasn't prepared for

and

2) Done the right thing and played through instead of emploring the sleazy tactics she did when she switched rackets?

Rabbit, she would definitely have won many fans. Regarding the two points above, I am not sure about #1. I wonder if Nadal or Federer would have consented to serve again, after the umpire made the decision.

Regarding #2, I am with you. Changing racquets at 15-40 was clearly gamesmanship. I am biased because I like Patty Schnyder, but it is disrespectful to leave your opponent waiting mid-game, on a very crucial point.