PDA

View Full Version : Another Record for Fed

Moose Malloy
06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Federer tied the Grand Slam record for most consecutive sets won, taking his streak to 35.

The No. 1-ranked Federer matched another Open era mark with 11 straight-set Grand Slam victories in a row. John McEnroe set both records in 1984, during Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Federer wasn't aware of his accomplishment until asked about it after the match.

"It is something which is quite special, I would say," he said. "But I'm focused on Roland Garros and I want to win my matches. And if I can win in three sets, so much the better -- but I'm not looking for these types of records."

He hasn't lost a set at a major tournament since dropping the second set of last year's U.S. Open final against Andy Roddick.

Federer won the next two sets that day to win that title, then won all seven of his matches at the Australian Open in January in straight sets -- becoming the first man to win a Grand Slam championship without dropping a set since Bjorn Borg at the 1980 French Open.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Ap1l5uTaJx9xmskijrO6gJogv7YF?slug=ap-frenchopen-men&prov=ap&type=lgns

Its funny how often Fed is equaling/breaking a record of Mac's(or Borg's)
Borg & Mac had the record for most finals in a row won before Fed. Mac has the record for best winning % in a season(which Fed came very close to eqauling in '05)
Borg & Mac were far more dominant than Sampras, hopefully Fed's success will make others appreciate this seemingly fogotten fact.

boojay
06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
what's the record for breaking records?

drakulie
06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Fed is just unbelievable.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Good for him, now I hope he wins Roland Garros.

tennis_hand
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
what is the record of record breaking records?

boojay
06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
i'm not sure, but i bet you fed just broke it

Moose Malloy
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Streak ends at 36 sets in a row:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AltbcykoTG1MIPgbcJ48eQg5nYcB?slug=ap-frenchopen&prov=ap&type=lgns