PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova doesnt even have a sliced backhand

NoBadMojo
06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
she doesnt even possess a one handed sliced backhand...when pulled very wide, she switches the racquet to her left hand....a former number 1 in the world now ranked 3? w. no sliced backhand who doesnt know how to slide on the dirt.....baaah..and obnoxious and a poor sportsman to boot. women;s tennis=blows. can anyone think of a single male pro who doesnt posses a sliced backhand? how many of the women dont have a sliced backhand?

zapvor
06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
good point. i have to say though that switching hands to hit with is pretty cool.

BkK_b0y14
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
shes number 2 in the world btw.

Phil
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I agree with you, nobad. She's not exactly the quintessential all-courter, but that's the WTA-a forehand and a serve will get one pretty far.

I'm not sure of male pros, but I don't recall ever seeing Guga use the slice. His top backhand was so good-amazing in fact, and he could set-up so well, even on hard courts, that he didn't use it...even on return of serve. I gotta believe he HAD this shot, but I just don't recall seeing him use it. One thing is for sure...he didn't have to switch hands on the backhand side!

Slazenger
06-03-2007, 08:26 PM
She has a slice backhand.
http://www.protennisfan.com/images/nasdaq_maria.jpg

NEXT!

Seriously though, what is with you old guys ragging on pretty young girls???

zapvor
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM

NEXT!

i am not raggin on her. thats a nice outfit in the picture.

Slazenger
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I agree with you, nobad. She's not exactly the quintessential all-courter, but that's the WTA-a forehand and a serve will get one pretty far.

Umm, that's tennis. Look how far Andy got with his serve and his forehand (and shoddy backhand) before Roger came into his own. Lots of players (male and female) since times past have built their games around their serves and forehands.

Moose Malloy
06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure of male pros, but I don't recall ever seeing Guga use the slice. His top backhand was so good-amazing in fact, and he could set-up so well, even on hard courts, that he didn't use it...even on return of serve. I gotta believe he HAD this shot, but I just don't recall seeing him use it. One thing is for sure...he didn't have to switch hands on the backhand side!

Was just watching some old FO Guga matches, he had a slice. Could do anything with the backhand really. He was a primarily offensive claycourter, but he could get a lot of balls back in play when on the defensive as well, despite not being a speedy guy. having long arms must have helped.

She has a slice backhand

that looks like a picture of her practicing, not an actual match

Slazenger
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
So, she still has a slice backhand.

In any case I've seen her slice in matches but more as a change of pace rather than defensively.

Phil
06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Umm, that's tennis. Look how far Andy got with his serve and his forehand (and shoddy backhand) before Roger came into his own. Lots of players (male and female) since times past have built their games around their serves and forehands.

True, but in "earlier" times, players coming into the pros seemed to be able to hit a lot of different shots, well. And very few had such imbalances in their games as they do now. Maybe the equipment has ensured that many of today's "academy"-trained players remain one-dimensional? It's a question that will continue to be asked.

Voltron
06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
In match play, even I have a slice backhand, and a damn fine one in my opinion, and I'm just a lowly 4.5. Really though, she must have one, I'm sure she must have one, I mean, she is a pro player.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-03-2007, 08:37 PM
wth, if karlovic has one then........

Slazenger
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
In match play, even I have a slice backhand, and a damn fine one in my opinion, and I'm just a lowly 4.5. Really though, she must have one, I'm sure she must have one, I mean, she is a pro player.

Of course she has a slice backhand. Did you not see the pic?
She also has a drop shot, drop volley, angled forehands and backhands etc.

That being said her bread and butter is big serves followed up by deep, hard topspin drives off both wings.

Phil
06-03-2007, 08:41 PM

My guess is she can probably hit one, maybe even a pretty good one, in practice, but doesn't have the confidence and/or the defensive mentality to use it in match play. It's a bit like Stefi Graf's NON slice b/h; she had a beautiful topper, but rarely used it. I saw her unload on it a couple times in matches and it was actually pretty sweet-she could hit passing winners, but just didn't have the confidence to fully incorporate it into her game. I'm not sure if doing so would have made all that much of a difference though...

FuriousYellow
06-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Henin and Mauresmo both have beautiful BH slices they use extensively and a lot of the women who trained in Europe and South America are able to use it defensively.

It just seems like the ones who trained in America don't really know how to execute it or when to use it. Serena and Venus both use it sparingly although Sharapova's is probably the worst out of all the top women's players.

NoBadMojo
06-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Philster I wouldnt include the serve into the female equation so much..while some of them can get serious mph on ther serves, they usually dont hit their spots very well and often serve way too short in the box, not to mention some of them with weak seconds......i would say they have one dimensional forehands and one dimension backhands with very few exceptions.....in any case, watching the Sharapova match today made me realize how boring womans tennis is, altho Patti Schneider has a tight little body aye? to give you an idea how bad it is, where i live they have a WTA event each year.....they evidently removed the lines on the stadium court and reapplied them for maintenance but got the dimensions reversed....so instead of a 21 feet service box and 18 to the baseline (i think i have that right), some jughead put the lines down at 18 feet and 21 feet so the service box was 3 feet short! lol...they played the whole match that way having more double faults than usual but didnt think to complain until well into the match and the umpire said to play on...since they played the entire match this way, the results counted....3 feet! almost everyone of a good servers serves would be out except very angled y serves.

breakfast_of_champions
06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
she does have a us open and wimbledon title. how many male pros have that?

drakulie
06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
well NBMJ, all I could say is this is definitely a turn of events for you. You are constantly telling people on these boards to copy the women, and also copy their frame size because of how well they play. hmmmmmmm :roll:

BreakPoint
06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Because as you become more mature, you begin to realize that looks aren't everything.

grizzly4life
06-03-2007, 10:12 PM
mojo, in fairness, what would rafa/fed do if they painted the lines wrong? do you think they would call them on it? or do you think they'd think they're having a bad day and really spin their serves??

in fact, the story is so bizarre (and true, i remember) that i think it really defies any sort of analysis...... i mean, who in their right mind would suggest the lines are painted wrong??

Alafter
06-04-2007, 02:25 AM
She's cute. Nice legs too.

NoBadMojo
06-04-2007, 05:21 AM
well NBMJ, all I could say is this is definitely a turn of events for you. You are constantly telling people on these boards to copy the women, and also copy their frame size because of how well they play. hmmmmmmm :roll:

no turn of events for me...and you are misquoting me as usual..i never said anyone should copy the playing style of the women and you know it. i do sugest they pay more attention what frames the WTAers are using than the ATPers...now go away little man..you're just being you

NoBadMojo
06-04-2007, 05:25 AM
mojo, in fairness, what would rafa/fed do if they painted the lines wrong? do you think they would call them on it? or do you think they'd think they're having a bad day and really spin their serves??

in fact, the story is so bizarre (and true, i remember) that i think it really defies any sort of analysis...... i mean, who in their right mind would suggest the lines are painted wrong??

suggest to you that ANY good server would notice if the service line was 3 feet short. the court is har tru by the way..the lines arent painted

sureshs
06-04-2007, 05:27 AM
She does have a slice BH.

That was a fantastic match she played against Schnyder.

pmata814
06-04-2007, 05:35 AM
she doesnt even possess a one handed sliced backhand...when pulled very wide, she switches the racquet to her left hand....a former number 1 in the world now ranked 3? w. no sliced backhand who doesnt know how to slide on the dirt.....baaah..and obnoxious and a poor sportsman to boot. women;s tennis=blows. can anyone think of a single male pro who doesnt posses a sliced backhand? how many of the women dont have a sliced backhand?

She doesn't have a smash either!! She always resorts to the swinging volley. Has anybody else noticed this?

tintin
06-04-2007, 05:38 AM
She doesn't have a smash either!! She always resorts to the swinging volley. Has anybody else noticed this?

drive volleys are as far as she can go when it comes down to volleys
She'll never be a Henin or Mauresmo at the net
these 2 have the best hands and net game in women's tennis

sureshs
06-04-2007, 05:53 AM

No, but I noticed her hitting overhead smashes.

nickarnold2000
06-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Sharapova reminds me a lot of Davenport(but better looking, of course!). They both are big girls who win by over powering their generally smaller opponents. Since a topspin BH travels much more quickly than a slice they tend to hit this the most often. Henin doesn't have the luxury of size to blow people off the court so she relies more on variety ie slice and her all court game. So that's why clay is her worest surface because it's harder to blow the ball past people; the rallies last much longer. She's also not the fastest mover out there either.
Who do you prefer to watch or do I need to ask?

herosol
06-04-2007, 07:11 AM
why backspin when you can just topspin?

lacoster
06-04-2007, 07:19 AM
. can anyone think of a single male pro who doesnt posses a sliced backhand?

Jan-Michael Gambill, Raemon Sluiter.
________
CHEVROLET YEOMAN SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Yeoman)

ubel
06-04-2007, 07:47 AM
well, the tv producers would probably give you these four words: low balls + short skirt. personally, i think Sharapova's upper brain functions that are used to think about shot selection are too busy deciding how loud to shriek. :)

on the other hand, it's already been mentioned that she's not a very good mover and that powerful topspin shots off both wings are her strengths. slicing gives her opponents more time to aim their shots, which would allow them to exploit her weak movement; therefore to minimize this exploit, she basically hits hard, topspinny shots every shot. no?

Kaptain Karl
06-04-2007, 08:15 AM

in fact, the story is so bizarre (and true, i remember) that i think it really defies any sort of analysis...... i mean, who in their right mind would suggest the lines are painted wrong??I am 100% confident NBMJ, Phil, any number of TT-ers here, and I would know immediately the dimensions were wrong. (And none of us are on the Tour, in case you didn't notice.)

why backspin when you can just topspin?Ask your Pro. He/she will help you learn a lot about the benefits of ... variety.

- KK

sureshs
06-04-2007, 08:33 AM
I am 100% confident NBMJ, Phil, any number of TT-ers here, and I would know immediately the dimensions were wrong. (And none of us are on the Tour, in case you didn't notice.)

Ask your Pro. He/she will help you learn a lot about the benefits of ... variety.

- KK

Another typical misogynist crap post on this board. The players complained and the WTA deliberated a while before letting the results stand. It was at the Bausch and Lomb in Amelia Island.

crazylevity
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
It's possible that, if it weren't at a pro tournament, the pros would notice something wrong immediately. Chances are, the thought of a professional tournament making such a mistake were inconceivable to begin with. And what if they protested there and then? Would they have to call off the matches immediately?

NoBadMojo
06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
She does have a slice BH.

That was a fantastic match she played against Schnyder.

no she doesnt..you dont know what you're talking about..

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Because your opponent is expecting you to hit nothing but topspin.

Slice also keeps the ball low and skids off of the court. Just ask Federer how well that works.

drakulie
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
no turn of events for me...and you are misquoting me as usual..i never said anyone should copy the playing style of the women and you know it. i do sugest they pay more attention what frames the WTAers are using than the ATPers...now go away little man..you're just being you

Once again you show your inability to have a civilized conversation with anyone who disagrees with you without trying to belittle them.

Here is a quote of yours:

“If people would pay more attention to what the females on tour use, they might have something aproaching realistic. Keep in mind these women are very fit, do this for a living, are young, and do it technically correct”

I have argued against this rational by saying the women’s game is riddled with errors (even with the larger frame), and all they do is mindless baseline bashing with no variety, therefore they are not a good example to emulate. You have argued that this is not so, I have no idea what I’m talking about, and that I am just being a troll. You have done this just to give your own argument about larger frames more credibility.

Now in this thread you state:

a former number 1 in the world now ranked 3? w. no sliced backhand who doesnt know how to slide on the dirt..... women;s tennis=blows.[

I have merely pointed out this “change of heart” you now have regarding the “women’s game”.

Steve Dykstra
06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I am 100% confident NBMJ, Phil, any number of TT-ers here, and I would know immediately the dimensions were wrong. (And none of us are on the Tour, in case you didn't notice.)

How can you be so confident of what others would know in a situation?

NoBadMojo
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Once again you show your inability to have a civilized conversation with anyone who disagrees with you without trying to belittle them.

Here is a quote of yours:

“If people would pay more attention to what the females on tour use, they might have something aproaching realistic. Keep in mind these women are very fit, do this for a living, are young, and do it technically correct”

I have argued against this rational by saying the women’s game is riddled with errors (even with the larger frame), and all they do is mindless baseline bashing with no variety, therefore they are not a good example to emulate. You have argued that this is not so, I have no idea what I’m talking about, and that I am just being a troll. You have done this just to give your own argument about larger frames more credibility.

Now in this thread you state:

I have merely pointed out this “change of heart” you now have regarding the “women’s game”.

hahahahahaha! could you twist things about even more...you've had probably a couple hundred of your posts deleted by the mods for their badgering attacking nature..people are way past tired of you, and can plainly see you always start this stuff..as always, you started this by invading a thread and making up things which i never said..your obsession with me transcends creepy

clearly we're not even talking about gear here...i made a thread commenting that sharapova doesnt possess a sliced backhand and that turned into you making up stuf which i never said or twisting the whole conversation into something else

drakulie
06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
as always, you started this by invading a thread and making up things which i never said..

women;s tennis=blows.

The above are your words. How am I making anything up?

And as I have already quoted you from other posts, in the past you have stated the opposite of what you are posting here. Here is a prior post of yours:

Kaptain Karl
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
How can you be so confident of what others would know in a situation?It's a reasoned conclusion from observing the posts of the TT-ers I mentioned. I am confident they are not brain-dead on the court.

I know the dimensions of the court -- not just the numbers (which I do) -- but also the "feel" of a court. Most of my hitting partners also can instantly tell when ... the net is high or low ... or if some other (obvious) measurement is out-of-whack. Can't you...?

- KK

NoBadMojo
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
The above are your words. How am I making anything up?

And as I have already quoted you from other posts, in the past you have stated the opposite of what you are posting here. Here is a prior post of yours:

again..for the 50th time..i've ZERO interest in having any conversation with you at all.

Alex132
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Sharapova is the hottest, period. There is nothing more to talk about.

herosol
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Because your opponent is expecting you to hit nothing but topspin.

Slice also keeps the ball low and skids off of the court. Just ask Federer how well that works.

well in terms of sharapova's game, she would only use slices on a shot she needs time to recover. she would never use it as a weapon because well she doesnt play like that.

for example. rafa likes to hit topspin even when he needs to time to recover, would the slice work too. yes. but topspin is great too.

and then again, not everyone has great slices like federer.

Phil
06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Philster I wouldnt include the serve into the female equation so much..while some of them can get serious mph on ther serves, they usually dont hit their spots very well and often serve way too short in the box, not to mention some of them with weak seconds......i would say they have one dimensional forehands and one dimension backhands with very few exceptions.....in any case, watching the Sharapova match today made me realize how boring womans tennis is, altho Patti Schneider has a tight little body aye? to give you an idea how bad it is, where i live they have a WTA event each year.....they evidently removed the lines on the stadium court and reapplied them for maintenance but got the dimensions reversed....so instead of a 21 feet service box and 18 to the baseline (i think i have that right), some jughead put the lines down at 18 feet and 21 feet so the service box was 3 feet short! lol...they played the whole match that way having more double faults than usual but didnt think to complain until well into the match and the umpire said to play on...since they played the entire match this way, the results counted....3 feet! almost everyone of a good servers serves would be out except very angled y serves.

I also like Patti Schneyder's game! But yes, a good second serve in the WTA is hard to come by. I remember that bizzare match with the whacky dimensions. Strange that no one said anything for most of the match.

BreakPoint
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
well in terms of sharapova's game, she would only use slices on a shot she needs time to recover. she would never use it as a weapon because well she doesnt play like that.

for example. rafa likes to hit topspin even when he needs to time to recover, would the slice work too. yes. but topspin is great too.

and then again, not everyone has great slices like federer.
Actually, I've seen Nadal slice quite a bit when on defense and even also as an offensive weapon, especially on approach shots.

Sharapova not slicing because "she doesn't play like that" is one of the reasons she will never be considered one of the all time greats, like Steffi Graf is, who BTW, slices A LOT.

nickarnold2000
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM
How can someone like Henin at 5' 6''even compete with a giant like Sharapova? Well, by being an all court player with variety which includes having an effective slice. As others have stated, it keeps the ball low, it's great for change of pace and, of course, for those defensive out wide BHs.

drakulie
06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
^^^ Because Henin has strokes just as powerful as Maria, knows how to change up the pace of a rally to her advantage, is a decent net player, and has a good first and second serve. She is also an excellent mover, and is very smooth in tranisitioning from defense ot offense.

nickarnold2000
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
So, who's your pick between Henin and Serena?

drakulie
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
If Henin keeps it close, I think Serena will fold. I'll take Henin in 3.

nickarnold2000
06-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Yes, it should be very close. I wonder which Serena will show up?

drakulie
06-04-2007, 06:17 PM
If Justine could keep the points long, it will result in Serena losing patience, going for more and more and ending in a high unforced error count.

If Serena "the dominator" shows up >> Justine don't have a prayer. >>> unless she hits a lot of "slice backhands". LOL j/k :)

zapvor
06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
i hope Henin wins. allez!

krz
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Henin > Serena hopefully, if Henin loses I'll have no reason to watch the womens draw anymore.

Steve Dykstra
06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
It's a reasoned conclusion from observing the posts of the TT-ers I mentioned. I am confident they are not brain-dead on the court.

I know the dimensions of the court -- not just the numbers (which I do) -- but also the "feel" of a court. Most of my hitting partners also can instantly tell when ... the net is high or low ... or if some other (obvious) measurement is out-of-whack. Can't you...?

- KK

I can certainly tell if the net is too high or too low, because that is something that is easily and often adjusted. However, the lines are always in the same places and usually never adjusted. If I played on a court where the dimensions of the court were off, I don't think I would realize, because the possibility that the dimensions are off seems almost inconceivable to me, especially if it were at a tournament. I would probably just think I was having a bad day serving if the service box was short and try to hit more spin serves and less flat. Maybe if I had played more on clay, where the lines are adjusted more easily, I would be more likely to notice such a thing. I've only played on har-tru courts a handful of times and every other time on hard.

darkblue
06-05-2007, 09:26 AM
i like my backhands, diced, not sliced.

Kaptain Karl
06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
IMaybe if I had played more on clay, where the lines are adjusted more easily, I would be more likely to notice such a thing.Interesting. I grew up on clay. I wonder if your scenario influences my "Who wouldn't be able to tell?" stance? (I never thought of it that way....)

- KK

ChipNCharge
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Just thought I would report that Sharapova successfully executed a slice backhand in her match today againt Ivanovic. It was during the first point of the fourth game of the second set (Sharapova's third shot in the rally, to be exact).

ubel
06-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Just thought I would report that Sharapova successfully executed a slice backhand in her match today againt Ivanovic. It was during the first point of the fourth game of the second set (Sharapova's third shot in the rally, to be exact).
alert the press! ;)

seriously, though, i wonder how well the average top-50 ATP player would fare against the average top-50 WTA player if the WTA player could hit however they wanted BUT the ATP player could only use slices. court coverage is a huge part, but does anyone think someone like, say, Gonzalez could beat Sharapova only using slices? that might not be fair, though, because Gonzalez has more of a floating slice than a sliding one that could put Sharapova off balance, but I definitely think he could win a set (mostly due to this including slice serves and maybe Gonzalez coming in to slice away vollies).

Federer versus Sharapova using only slices in a 2/3 set match, whats the scoreline?

Slazenger
06-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Was this the slice?
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/a1/fullj.getty-tennis-fra-roland-garros-ivanovic-sharapova_9_06_42_am.jpg

ChipNCharge
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Was this the slice?

No, I don't think that was it. I don't recall her being in that defensive of a position. On the bh slice I saw her hit today, she was balanced and under control. She hit it because Ivanovic hit her a low-bouncing slice, so Sharapova sliced it back.

Maybe someone that Tivo'd it can post a clip of it.

tintin
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
alert the press! ;)
, Gonzalez could beat Sharapova only using slices?

I disagree slightly.Gonzalez's slices have too much air and float too much at times :-| ;all Sharapova would do is just move in and hit forehands.
Gonzalez's forehands on a good day would just wipe the floor with the screamer:lol::lol:

Mahboob Khan
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
All those years at NB and Robert Lansdorp and they could not learn her a slice backhand, slice BH approach shots and volley combinations. It is sad.

Having said, girls have problems handling slices, and learning slices! For the last two years we are working on my daughter's slice backhand (she has an excellent 2-handed BH), but she is not comfortable with this shot and does not use it in matchplay situations! The danger is if I spend too much time on her slice, her double handed backhand which is her best shot, suffers! Anyway, we are working on her slice, slice serve, and kick serve.

Going back to Maria Sharapova. Given the fact that she spent an average of six hours a day at NBTA, she should have learned all the shots including slice backhand. How about slice serve, and kick serve? I do not see these serves either! Basically she has learned four things: serve, forehand, backhand, and a loud grunt!

J.W. North Tennis91
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM

NEXT!

im not an old guy, but wow she looks so hot in that pic