PDA

View Full Version : Wilander: Cañas the onlyone who's not afraid of Federer or Nadal

BERDI4
06-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Mats Wilander said: "Cañas is the only player who's not afraid of Federer or Nadal".
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/06/04/um/m-01431975.htm
The article is in spanish but more or less says the following:
"Cañas is the only player who's not afraid of Federer or Nadal because his abscence for 15 months prevented him on falling in the colective paranoia, the authentic psicosis that dominates in the changing rooms to tha players who have to play against Roger or Rafa, with reputation of invincibles. He said that Cañas is not impressed by anything and his "warrior temper" was known before the suspension, but know he made that aspect of his character stronger. Anyway, he doesn't see him as winner of the FO because his shots are less harmful on clay than on other surfaces, which makes him different to the other argentines."

diegaa
06-04-2007, 08:06 AM
nah, I dont think the rest of the players fear roger or rafa because they beat everyone around and not because the "invincibilty aura" they generated. IMO, It´s the fact that they played against them before and couldnt beat them, so every single player is afraid because each one of them coulnt take the #1 and #2 in their previous meetings.
its like if, for instance, the #758 couldnt beat in their previous, say, 5 meetings the #750. so the former could be "afraid" of this fact.

Baghdatis72
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
That's obvious and there is no need for an expert to confirm it.

Get ready for the trolls who are Canas bashers to enter here soon.

RMB
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
On clay that is. There is a bunch of players that are not afraid of Nadal on grass, hard courts, carpet, or anyother quick surface (Berdych, Blake, et. als.).

BTW, Cañas is going to have a very difficult match against Davydenko.

diegaa
06-04-2007, 08:13 AM
BTW, Cañas is going to have a very difficult match against Davydenko.

He sure will. Cañas himself predicted a long 5 setter match. :o

gugarafa
06-04-2007, 08:15 AM
does wilander know canas on a personal level? to be making such allegations on a players' confidence is really risky unless ofcourse you are the coach..........nuff said

Andres
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
nah, I dont think the rest of the players fear roger or rafa because they beat everyone around and not because the "invincibilty aura" they generated. IMO, It´s the fact that they played against them before and couldnt beat them, so every single player is afraid because each one of them coulnt take the #1 and #2 in their previous meetings.
its like if, for instance, the #758 couldnt beat in their previous, say, 5 meetings the #750. so the former could be "afraid" of this fact.
Most of the players have the wrong mindset before playing Rafa on clay or Federer everywhere. I don't know if it could be called "Fear", but it's more like BAD PREDISPOSITION. They don't BELIEVE they can't beat them, and they start the match with that mindset. They don't believe in their own chances.

That's what's different with Cañas with both of them, or Nalbandian with Federer. They both BELIEVE THEY CAN TAKE THEM DOWN. If they do it or not, it's a different animal... but they believe they can beat them.

Cañas plays to WIN, not TO NOT LOSE. The difference between the two concepts is small, but noticeable ;)

Defcon
06-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Wilander really should STFU. He may have had a point about Federer not trying his best during last years final but this is nonsense. Fed/Nadal really are a league above the tour and to imply that they win because of the 'fear factor' is just the sort of thing you expect someone with no real weapons himself to say.

asitkin
06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
I don’t know what Wilander says in Spanish but in English he says different things:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04062007/58/french-open-wilander-upset-canas-return.html

French Open - Three-time French Open champion Mats Wilander thinks life was made too easy for Guillermo Canas after his doping ban.
Canas was suspended for two years in August 2005 for the use of a diuretic but last May was acquitted of deliberate performance enhancement and returned to the tour in September.
His ranking points acquired before the suspension were restored and with the help of sponsors' invites, the Argentine gained several wild cards to tournaments helping him climb from an end-of-year ranking of 143 to 22.
Wilander said: "Canas was a great player before he got suspended in his doping test. He's not afraid of anybody and he's beaten Federer twice already.Although I think it's a little unfair that you can climb back up to a high ranking within six months of starting again.I know the players are very vocal about not giving wild cards to someone who has tested positive in a doping test and I have to agree with them. Not only should you get a suspension but you should have to start again from scratch.
Davydenko came out on top and deservdely so against David Nalbandian but I'm still waiting for him to step up to the plate and possibly take out Federer or Nadal in a Grand Slam.And I think this maybe could be it."

diegaa
06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
I don’t know what Wilander says in Spanish but in English he says different things:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04062007/58/french-open-wilander-upset-canas-return.html

French Open - Three-time French Open champion Mats Wilander thinks life was made too easy for Guillermo Canas after his doping ban.
Canas was suspended for two years in August 2005 for the use of a diuretic but last May was acquitted of deliberate performance enhancement and returned to the tour in September.
His ranking points acquired before the suspension were restored and with the help of sponsors' invites, the Argentine gained several wild cards to tournaments helping him climb from an end-of-year ranking of 143 to 22.
Wilander said: "Canas was a great player before he got suspended in his doping test. He's not afraid of anybody and he's beaten Federer twice already.Although I think it's a little unfair that you can climb back up to a high ranking within six months of starting again.I know the players are very vocal about not giving wild cards to someone who has tested positive in a doping test and I have to agree with them. Not only should you get a suspension but you should have to start again from scratch.
Davydenko came out on top and deservdely so against David Nalbandian but I'm still waiting for him to step up to the plate and possibly take out Federer or Nadal in a Grand Slam.And I think this maybe could be it."

how many wild cards he was given? huh?

Baghdatis72
06-04-2007, 08:43 AM

:o :confused:

That's strange.

Andres
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
What the heck??
His points WEREN'T restored, he didn't have a WC (except one challenger), and he didn't get invited to anywhere.

He got to the main draws via qualifying, and one LL (the one he got to the final)

Buuurnz
06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
he aint scared cuz he is doped haha
just kidding...naaaw I think it's good to have him back seriously!

djones
06-05-2007, 02:57 AM
I think Djokovic is there as well, as one of the guys who isn't affraid.

The Gorilla
06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
wilander is as cynical a media personality as he was a tennis player, he will do/say whatever it takes to achieve his goals.

tintin
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Wilander is known to down his beers by the case during the FO and yap as if the world was about to come to an end.
Federer's left nut alone is bigger than Wilander's whole brain:lol: :lol:

TheTruth
06-05-2007, 11:17 AM
He may drink beer. He may say a lot of stupid things, but that doesn't mean everything he says is wrong. On this one, he's right! The rest of the tour are wimps! Except Lleyton. He's coming back!

War, Safin!
06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
So, thanks for that insight, Mats, but your boy Canas got dropped hard by Davydenko today.

Maybe he forgot to take his performance-enhancing drugs?
http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

tintin
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
So, thanks for that insight, Mats, but your boy Canas got dropped hard by Davydenko today.

Maybe he forgot to take his performance-enhancing drugs?
http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

snapple
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Federer's left nut alone is bigger than Wilander's whole brain

It's Canas who has puny Wilanders after all that roid juice!

tintin
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
It's Canas who has puny Wilanders after all that roid juice!

still slameless despite the juice...

127mph
06-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Wilander talks too much for a retired pro, he talks about tennis like its a violent sport.

Rhino
06-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Mats Wilander said: "Cañas is the only player who's not afraid of Federer or Nadal".

Perhaps, but he's petrified of Davydenko. :)