PDA

View Full Version : Rule changes needed.

OMS
06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Let me start off by telling you that I am a huge tennis and squash fan.

But I do have a few issues that I would like to discuss with you and have your opinion on:

Cleaning:
The latest trend that the players “clean” themselves constantly between points: In the olden days they cleaned themselves during the change overs every 2nd game, and that was it… the wrist band had to do the cleaning during the game. It is really annoying to constantly have to wait for them to clean themselves after EACH and EVERY point !
It also takes away some of the “drama” …. One wants to see the effort that they put in… and that one can see by the amount of sweating going on. Squash players may only clean themselves between games, which could sometimes last an hour or more!
Wasn’t it great seeing Ivan Lendle sweating it out in the past?

Net serve:
Another point is the net serve: I can not see why one should replay the serve if it hits the net? One do not replay the point if it happens DURING a point. I think that the net serve adds to the excitement of the serve! It catches the opponent off guard and it will be interesting to see how the receiver responds to the situation…. The quick thinkers and fast reaction players would benefit from it.

Second serve:
The 2nd serve: I do not think that there should be a second serve. This would eliminate players like the old Kevin Curren that could basically only serve hard but the rest of their games were really bad. Tennis is NOT just about serving. One serve will speed up the games which will be good for TV coverage. One will still see fast serves, but only when a player is far ahead, like 40-15 or so. Players will have to serve more accurate and tennis as a whole will be better to watch because it won’t just be short games consisting of one big serve. Squash has eliminated the second serve years back, and that made the game more exciting and less time consuming.

Australia:
Why don’t Australia produce many more top 10 players? There cannot be many countries with a better tennis infrastructure than the Aussies have?
The weather in Australia is also perfect for tennis. Australia is a sport crazy country.
So what is the problem?

Cheers
OMS

dima
06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Australia is a rule that needs to be changed? LOL

And some of those are plain ridiculous, like the let cord and the second serve ones. I'll let Phil have his fun with you.

pmata814
06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Let me start off by telling you that I am a huge tennis and squash fan.

But I do have a few issues that I would like to discuss with you and have your opinion on:

Cleaning:
The latest trend that the players “clean” themselves constantly between points: In the olden days they cleaned themselves during the change overs every 2nd game, and that was it… the wrist band had to do the cleaning during the game. It is really annoying to constantly have to wait for them to clean themselves after EACH and EVERY point !
It also takes away some of the “drama” …. One wants to see the effort that they put in… and that one can see by the amount of sweating going on. Squash players may only clean themselves between games, which could sometimes last an hour or more!
Wasn’t it great seeing Ivan Lendle sweating it out in the past?

Net serve:
Another point is the net serve: I can not see why one should replay the serve if it hits the net? One do not replay the point if it happens DURING a point. I think that the net serve adds to the excitement of the serve! It catches the opponent off guard and it will be interesting to see how the receiver responds to the situation…. The quick thinkers and fast reaction players would benefit from it.

Second serve:
The 2nd serve: I do not think that there should be a second serve. This would eliminate players like the old Kevin Curren that could basically only serve hard but the rest of their games were really bad. Tennis is NOT just about serving. One serve will speed up the games which will be good for TV coverage. One will still see fast serves, but only when a player is far ahead, like 40-15 or so. Players will have to serve more accurate and tennis as a whole will be better to watch because it won’t just be short games consisting of one big serve. Squash has eliminated the second serve years back, and that made the game more exciting and less time consuming.

Australia:
Why don’t Australia produce many more top 10 players? There cannot be many countries with a better tennis infrastructure than the Aussies have?
The weather in Australia is also perfect for tennis. Australia is a sport crazy country.
So what is the problem?

Cheers
OMS

I agree with your point on toweling off but that's about it.

You say you're a huge tennis fan but do you also play? It would tick me off if somebody wins a point on serve just because they got lucky and hit the net. I would also not enjoy winning the point in the same manner. And it would suck to be watching your favorite player lose or win the point on TV just the same. How unsatisfying. Yes we play the net during the rally but it is very different.

Eliminating the second serve I also disagree with. Faulting on serves will now become a lot more common and that in turn will make the game more boring to watch. And from the player perspective...I like to hit the crap out of the ball, which I can only do if I know that I have another serve coming. Besides, watching a well placed first serve or a bomb that stays in is also fun to watch.

VGP
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Your "points" are nothing new.

Cleaning: Players are allowed 20 seconds between points. They can clean themselves, do cartwheels, spin in circles, whatever.

Net serve: if you don't like lets on tour, then watch WTT.

Second serve: Big servers are big servers. They'd still have the advantage. Take away the second serve and players that rely on just starting the point with the serve will still be attacked. There was also a suggestion of moving the service line toward the net six inches. Same sort of problem will occur.

Australia: Tennis Australia is working on their lack of top 10 players. Personally, I think it's from the lack of commraderie that recent players like Hewitt and Phillipousis have displayed. The older Aussies stuck together. Seems to work regardless of country. Australia from the 50s-90s. Sweden in the 80s and 90s. Recently, Russsia, Spain, Argentina.....(I assume we're talking men). France is making headway in this area. I like how the FFT along with older players (Noah (before he became a famous singer), Forget, Leconte, Santoro are really fostering their young talent).

The US needs more of this and it seems they're getting better. Too much influence from the Connors model........

9000tennis
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I think they tried to remove the net-serve once. I believe it was only tried in futures-tournaments, but it didn't work.

ta11geese3
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Net serve:

Watch college tennis then.

dave333
06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
i actually don't think your thing about toweling is correct. Remember that serve&volley, chip n charge at the pro level are much faster than todays baseline duking so its likely players sweat more now.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Net serve:

I played college tennis and continuing play during the net serve was the worst thing ever. But I see nothing wrong with the current rules except for the constant screaming.

R-Fed
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't agree with toweling off every game or two. I perfer at least every two points minimum because I am a heavy sweater and many time I lose a point because sweat rolls into my eye if i don't towel off at least every other point.

And oh yeah, even though I play when year round I also play outside when it is above 95 degrees unlike some who might only play indoors.

zapvor
06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
welcome to the forum. interesting first post!

Kaptain Karl
06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I understand the NCAA got rid of Let Serves because too many players were cheating.... They'd call a Let anytime they got aced, so the NCAA "fixed that" for them.

Not needed in the Pros.

I'd make screaming fit under the Penalty Point system.

I'd remove "cramping" from the definition of "injury". If you're not fit, you don't deserve to win.

- KK

krz
06-04-2007, 10:18 PM
hmm net serves and second serves I definitely disagree with.

there should definitely be a rule put in on excessive screaming... Serena is soooo annoying.