PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Robredo's games

TENNIS_99
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Not until last year I started noticing Tommy Robredo’s games. Speaking totally from admiration while it does not sound like to be, Tommy does not seem to have a “wham” games. And that’s what impresses me that he has consistently fighting deep into the tournaments, taking care lower ranked players quite easily. While the result of playing hot players is rather predicable for him, he is in Top 10, and looks like he will stay around there for a while.

I’ve never watched him live so could be totally wrong, but Tommy to me does not appear to have the same firepower his countrymen Ferrero, Ferrer, let alone Nadal have from the baseline. Consistency must be a factor, but that’s not enough. The only apparent weapon is his inside out forehand enables him to finish points at the net - pretty decent net games.

Anyone wants to share you thoughts reading Tommy’s games? Thanks

jamumafa
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah I've noticed the same.

He has nice lookin' strokes, but no "Oh em gee" shot that makes me walk bow legged for 3 weeks.

Credit to him though for staying around as long as he does

iplaybetter
06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
i think his backhand looks sick, nice but forehand

tintin
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
he's got a wicked backhand but the swing on the forehand when he doesn't have time to set the shot is...

35ft6
06-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I think he's got more power than Ferrer, and in terms of pace of shot, comparable to Ferrerro although Juan Carlos still hits a heavier ball.

He's fit, very competitive, quick, and solid off both wings. But he doesn't have the extra gear that the truly elite players have, the kind that can impose itself on anybody now matter how well they're playing. But he very consistently makes the most of his game. He's an interesting counterpoint to somebody like Safin, who DOES have those extra gears, but barely manages to use them.

tennis_hand
06-04-2007, 05:09 PM
his backhand doesn't look very nice because of his not-so-closed stance. it is more a square stance than closed stance.

splink779
06-04-2007, 05:38 PM
He is an enigma to me. He looks really strong, and his strokes are so big and he has a ton of racquet head speed. Yet he gets VERY little in terms of pace and spin (relative, of course). It looks like his racquet weighs about 4 ounces. He just looks like he puts so much effort into his swings but the result is not what you would expect.

Anyone else agree?

Oh and reason he beats all the lower ranked guys is because he hardly ever misses and is very fast.

LarougeNY
06-04-2007, 05:40 PM
his backhand doesn't look very nice because of his not-so-closed stance. it is more a square stance than closed stance.

I think his backhand is his weapon. Although, he does get some pretty sick angles on his forehand-consisitently.

TENNIS_99
06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
yeh, he can hit some sick angles. And he can take advantage of those angle shots by going inside the court. Ferrero,Coria,Hewitt all can hit similar shots but they stay back try to wear their opponents down. Tommy seems to have success in this category. Also he is pretty good at keeping his service games considering he does not have huge serves. Again, I guess angles work. I think for amateur/junior competitive level, Tommy is someone more realistic to watch and learn to improve the games.

The Gorilla
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
his backhand is very very powerful, he just knows he has a better chance of beating you with his speed and fitness, I remember in one match against nadal in shanghai last year he gave Nadal a serious game by ripping his backhand a la gaudio or kuerten.