PDA

View Full Version : Why was Sharapova booed after her match?

AJK1
06-04-2007, 02:30 PM
I heard she was booed a lot by the crowd after her match with Schynder? What happened?

Bottle Rocket
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
She did a couple of things during the match...

I think the worst was when Patty was serving. In the middle of the game Sharapova took her time and walked over to her chair and got a new racket and came back. The crowd really got into it then.

The upmire gave her a meaningless time violation warning. I think Patty won the point afterwards, then went on to lose the game?

There was also a point where Patty put up her hand signaling to Sharapova that she was not ready for Sharapova to serve. She served, hit an ace (Patty didn't flinch), then the umprire awarded the point to Sharapova.

BigServer1
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
She did a couple of things during the match...

I think the worst was when Patty was serving. In the middle of the game Sharapova took her time and walked over to her chair and got a new racket and came back. The crowd really got into it then.

The upmire gave her a meaningless time violation warning. I think Patty won the point afterwards, then went on to lose the game?

There was also a point where Patty put up her hand signaling to Sharapova that she was not ready for Sharapova to serve. She served, hit an ace (Patty didn't flinch), then the umprire awarded the point to Sharapova.

Patty was serving at 40-15, and Sharapova froze her when she got the new racquet. Sharapova went on to break.

This was pretty Busch league stuff from Sharapova, making it harder and harder to like her as a player.

onkystomper
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
she is a shrieking idiot who will use gamesmanship to win at all costs

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Patty was serving at 40-15, and Sharapova froze her when she got the new racquet. Sharapova went on to break.

This was pretty Busch league stuff from Sharapova, making it harder and harder to like her as a player.

OMG, most atp and wta players do the same thing at the same moment in their matches. Did you ever think that a string was starting to fray and she noticed it at that point and make a wise decision to change frames? Even if it was gamesmanship, almost everyone does it and worse than that. I'm not say that is the right way to conduct oneself but MS shouldn't be singled out and bashed for that.

In any case, it was the most interesting and dramatic match of the tournament.

jfmcdowell357
06-04-2007, 03:00 PM
She's not a very good sport. I think and especially at that level, you should win and lose fairly and gracefully.

theRadical
06-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Thats not what happened. She put her hand up because she heard someone yell AFTER Sharapova had already hit her serve.

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
She's not a very good sport. I think and especially at that level, you should win and lose fairly and gracefully.

Well, I totally agree with your statement but it didn't seem to me that sharapova even saw schnyder put her hand up because patty gestured just as maria was striking the ball so her eyes were focused on the ball. For all she knew patty could have been aced and then decided to claim she wasn't ready. That happened to me a couple of times. I hit a clean ace while my opponent was in his ready stance looking at me and then claimed he wasn't ready! Don't misunderstand me, I believe schnyder was not ready when I watch the match on my dvr but clearly maria is not to blame for this incident at all.

Nadal_Freak
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Thats not what happened. She put her hand up because she heard someone yell AFTER Sharapova had already hit her serve.
Yeah. Schnyder thought she had the ability to call a let. Bad move.

TENNIS_99
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM

I remember differently though, I could be wrong but I thought someone yelled BEFORE Sharapova hit the serve. That's why McEnore was saying after reviewing the replay he wished Schynder wins the game so the call would not be a deciding point for the match.

Also, the commentators seem to imply that she can not replace the racquet if it appears to be allright especially at the end of the match, guess no rule prohibiting it, all sporty matters. And it probably why she was booed.

35ft6
06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I remember differently though, I could be wrong but I thought someone yelled BEFORE Sharapova hit the serve.They replayed it and the guy yelled before the serve, and Schnyder put her hand up before Maria made contact with the ball (assuming Maria shreiks as she's swinging, not AFTER making contact).

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
No, 35 ft, I recorded the match and the yell happened just as sharapova struck the ball and then patty reacted to the yell and raised her hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbLx2SICth8
I really think that it is unfortunate for her that the yell happened at that moment. Of course, the class of the tennis crowd has been declining over the last several years. It will soon be as base as NFL and boxing.

FitzRoy
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
They replayed it and the guy yelled before the serve, and Schnyder put her hand up before Maria made contact with the ball (assuming Maria shreiks as she's swinging, not AFTER making contact).

If that's what happened, then I don't really feel much sympathy for Schnyder there. Just return the ball. Someone calling out during Sharapova's serve could mess Sharapova up, but how could it impact the returner?

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
If that's what happened, then I don't really feel much sympathy for Schnyder there. Just return the ball. Someone calling out during Sharapova's serve could mess Sharapova up, but how could it impact the returner?

Actually, you do have a point in that schnyder should have returned the ball. Lets are usually not called when someone yells out loud at such moments and I have witnessed many such occasions at the US open. The point is played and then the chair ump admonishes the crowd but a let is not played.

35ft6
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
No, 35 ft, I recorded the match and the yell happened just as sharapova struck the ball and then patty reacted to the yell and raised her hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbLx2SICth8 There's no sound on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeimM7qayPU&mode=related&search=

He yells before her shriek/contact with the ball. Schnyder's hand is going up as she swings.

I don't think it's a totally inexcusable call, it's not like he had the benefit of instant replay, but I feel like Patty held her hand up in a reasonable time frame.

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
There's no sound on that.

He yells before her shriek/contact with the ball. Schnyder's hand is going up as she swings.

I don't think it's a totally inexcusable call, it's not like he had the benefit of instant replay, but I feel like Patty held her hand up in a reasonable time frame.

No, the video clip clearly shows patty raising her hand after maria makes contact with the ball. There is no way she raises her hand before the racquet makes contact. There doesn't need to be sound for one to see that your argument of patty raising the hand before she struck the serve is wrong. The video is absolute proof. How can you even dispute it. The fact is right in front of your eyes and everyone else's thanks to my post.

FitzRoy
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM

I disagree - Sharapova is already into her service motion. To me, that's too late. I wouldn't be able to see someone put the hand up after I've started the swing. Isn't the hand up a signal to the server to say that you aren't ready? Once they've started the swing, I think it's too late.

35ft6
06-04-2007, 04:04 PM
No, the video clip clearly shows patty raising her hand after maria makes contact with the ball. There is no way she raises her hand before the racquet makes contact. You're right. My bad. But I've seen players get a let by holding up their hands in the same way.I disagree - Sharapova is already into her service motion. To me, that's too late. I wouldn't be able to see someone put the hand up after I've started the swing. Isn't the hand up a signal to the server to say that you aren't ready? Once they've started the swing, I think it's too late. I don't think that's the rule though. The returner putting their hand up is all about their own readiness, it doesn't have anything to do with where the server is in terms of their motion. If you think about it, if the rules operated in the way you suggest, all a server has to do is pretend they don't notice the returner and just serve whenever they feel like it.

Bottom line: I don't think it was a terrible call, but it could have justifiably gone Patty's way. It wasn't a tough serve to return.

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I disagree - Sharapova is already into her service motion. To me, that's too late. I wouldn't be able to see someone put the hand up after I've started the swing. Isn't the hand up a signal to the server to say that you aren't ready? Once they've started the swing, I think it's too late.

Maybe fitzroy. I personally think it is too late but I don't know for sure what the rules state. In any case maria makes contact with the ball and then patty raises her hand. Patty doesn't raise her hand before maria makes contact with that ball and that is clear.

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 04:06 PM
You're right. My bad. But I've seen players get a let by holding up their hands in the same way. I don't think that's the rule though. The returner putting their hand up is all about their own readiness, it doesn't have anything to do with where the server is in terms of their motion. If you think about it, if the rules operated in the way you suggest, all a server has to do is pretend they don't notice the returner and just serve whenever they feel like it.

Bottom line: I don't think it was a terrible call, but it could have justifiably gone Patty's way. It wasn't a tough serve to return.

35 ft. I am relieved to hear that. Thanks. I was getting a little worried there for a moment. My last post to fitz has been edited accordingly.

35ft6
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I heard she was booed a lot by the crowd after her match with Schynder? Whta happened? IMO, it was a number of things. The French fans are rude sometimes, and that was part of it. Patty is the under dog and plays with more flair, has a more aesthetically pleasing game, which I'm sure the French fans appreciate. Most of what Sharapova was doing was more or less within the rules even her intentionally going over the allowed time between points in order to change her racket to disrupt Patty's momentum. There was definitely some gamesmanship going on, but most of it was Sharapova being confident and demonstrative, which can be obnoxious to some, but admirable to others and definitely within the rules. It was a gutsy win. Patty choked a bit, but Maria really played some gutsy tennis on match points.

35ft6
06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
35 ft. I am relieved to hear that. Thanks. I was getting a little worried there for a moment. My last post to fitz has been edited accordingly. Huh? I missed it, what were you worried about?

tennissavy
06-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Huh? I missed it, what were you worried about?

...that you might be disputing the facts which would make you unreasonable

I am glad that is not the case.

tennis_hand
06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
seriously, these umpires are useless. We should just use the hawkeye to call the lines.

FitzRoy
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
The returner putting their hand up is all about their own readiness, it doesn't have anything to do with where the server is in terms of their motion. If you think about it, if the rules operated in the way you suggest, all a server has to do is pretend they don't notice the returner and just serve whenever they feel like it.

I see this point, but in that case I think that's where the umpire comes in.

I just look at it like this: if I'm playing someone, and I go into my motion, and then after the serve lands they say they had put their hand up after I started, I'm going to be a little skeptical. That's what I meant by too late. To me it's too late if the server can't be expected to reasonably halt the motion after the hand goes up.

I admit though that I don't have any idea what the real rule is. ;)

luckyguy
06-05-2007, 12:51 AM

at 3 sec the ball was struck but patty's hand was raised at about 4 sec..so clearly the ball was struck before she raised her hand...no wrong doing for sharapova there...patty should have returned the ball..and besides..it was only a yell of an audience...maria's shrieking is more annoying than that yet she can stand it for the entire match...

35ft6
06-05-2007, 01:06 AM
^ Maria's shrieking is expected. A guy yelling during the ball toss isn't. If Maria had served a fault, she would have definitely asked for another serve and gotten it.

emcee143
06-05-2007, 01:11 AM
OMG, most atp and wta players do the same thing at the same moment in their matches. Did you ever think that a string was starting to fray and she noticed it at that point and make a wise decision to change frames? Even if it was gamesmanship, almost everyone does it and worse than that. I'm not say that is the right way to conduct oneself but MS shouldn't be singled out and bashed for that.

Actually, if I remember correctly she changed her racquet I THINK 3 games before changing it again. It didn't end at that. Server's pace right? She's returning, she WALKS to her chair, WALKS back, and even has the time to have her back to Patty and look at her strings for a good 3 seconds. And from what I remember and noticed, Maria seemed to only change her racquet when there was a threat of her losing the game (i.e. Patty was up love-30 on Maria's serve then again at 40-15 Patty's serve). I am in no way a Maria basher, I'm just being neutral and giving my feedback on what I noticed. I'm actually somewhat of a fan of Maria. And if anything Maria shouldn't get crap for her grunts when Serena and Venus do it sooo much more.

P.S. People talk about Maria giving cold stares and whatnot. Serena yells "COME ON!" at the opponents mistakes WHILE staring at her opponent. Watch her match against Krajicek.

raftermania
06-05-2007, 01:12 AM
if u listen even closer, u can hear patty letting one go shortly after raising her hand.

RedKat
06-05-2007, 03:33 AM

You so naive. At that level players are determined to win by any mean. All of them are; and Sharapova is not exception

tintin
06-05-2007, 03:53 AM
IMO, it was a number of things. The French fans are rude sometimes, and that was part of it. Patty is the under dog and plays with more flair, has a more aesthetically pleasing game, which I'm sure the French fans appreciate.

It has nothing to do with Schyner's's game at all.She is Swiss,not French and if they see somebody doing something wrong;they will boo your arse.
Sharapova went to change her stick when Schnyder was up 40-15 and was suppose to serve for the match,Sharapova broke right back.
Then the whole hand thing when the arsehole yelled and the umpire awarding Sharapova the point got them going.
talk about what you know,not what you don't.

Russell Finch
06-05-2007, 04:56 AM
I think it was a bad call by the umpire not to play a let but I think what the crowd didn't like about what Sharapova did was that when Schnyder was talking to the umpire about it Sharapova went straight to where she would serve in the Ad court and stood there as if to say "My point, let's get on with it". Had she offered a let she would have got a huge cheer and they may have forgiven her blatant racquet-changing gamesmanship at the end.

Peter Szucs
06-05-2007, 05:20 AM
What really freaks me out about Sharapova is that she is using well planned tricks to distract her opponent in key moments. In her recent match with Patty she is down 15-40 on her serve i think in the 3rd set. She is playing the next point in complete silence, Patty makes an unforced error on the 3rd stroke. Next point she screams on the first serve like mad. She is the most unfair player i have seen on the pro-tour.

TheGreatestAudia
06-05-2007, 05:23 AM
thank you very much,well said.
the crowd unless Swiss don't give a ***** about Schnyder but they do care about gamesmanship

Give me a break! You know that they were rooting for anyone against Sharapova. They and a lot of other people really despise Maria because she is the "whole" package. I'm not saying I'm a Maria fanatic but come on, man. Why do you think most movies these days are about the underdog? It's what "everyone" can relate to! Only a handful of people can relate to being superior in every aspect. Yes, Maria did change her racquet in a suspicious time but a LOT of people do that. Heck, in a match I was playing against a guy who was taking the place of someone in my division did this. (The match doesn't count against or for him in any way.) I didn't really question it because maybe his strings were fraying or whatever but it did make me a little mad. Also, if they did care about gamesmanship, the guy wouldn't have yelled out at that moment which was clearly an attempt to mess with Maria's concentration. Schnyder was being nice, I believe, by raising her hand but at the same time, the ball was in and Maria was not affected so it looked much more conspicuous. Please relax, tintin.

gery
06-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Sharapova sucks! She's an anathema to me! I don't like her style. I don't like her personality!

TheTruth
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
The crowd booed Sharapova because she uses every excuse to break up another players game. She left the court at 40-15 on Patti's serve to change her racket when the string was not broken. Against the rules.

She intentionally served when Patti's hand was up. Regardless of the scream from the crowd, when a player holds their hand up it means they're not ready.

She hit Patti with the ball when Patti stopped play to check an out ball.

She hit Serena when she was getting beat to death at the AO.

She turned her back on Golovin when the latter twisted her ankle and was in agony.

She took magic potions to beat Henin from a brown bottle with smoke coming out of it during the match.

Her camp has cheated and been caught on tape numerous times.

She's crass. That she has fans is mind boggling!

TheGreatestAudia
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
The crowd booed Sharapova because she uses every excuse to break up another players game. She left the court at 40-15 on Patti's serve to change her racket when the string was not broken. Against the rules.

She intentionally served when Patti's hand was up. Regardless of the scream from the crowd, when a player holds their hand up it means they're not ready.

She turned her back on Golovin when the latter twisted her ankle and was in agony.

She took magic potions to beat Henin from a brown bottle with smoke coming out of it during the match.

I agree with you for the most part. She's very bush league when it comes to certain plays. However, everyone has done something that has been questionable and we all know it. I am in no way defending this type of behavior. I hate it! But don't single people out as if they are the only ones that try this type of thing when they are down. I have watched several matches where respectable players call "injury" timeouts or bathroom breaks to break up the momentum their opponent has. Yes, it is cheap and yes, it does work. Now, put yourself in her situation with the Schnyder's hand. First of all, you go back and watch the youtube video and you can clearly see that she didn't put her hand up until after Maria had hit the serve. There is no disputing this. Do I think Schnyder was trying to pull a fast one? No. I really and truly think she was trying to give Maria another shot at serving because it was unfair for that guy to do that at that time. There is no way on God's green Earth that Maria could have known that Schnyder's hand was up; even if her hand went up in the same split-second the Frenchman shouted. The ball was on its way up! Also, if you'll remember, and I'm not sure there is any video on this but, in 2003, the last time Henin and Serena faced off in the French, Henin put her hand up right as Serena was about to serve and Serena saw it at the last second and cut her swing down but still hit the ball into the net and the umpire gave her a fault! Did Henin say anything to the umpire and ask him to please give her a 'let'? Heck no! She is in this to win it and she is going to do whatever it takes to win! Do people come out and chastise her for it and call her crass? No. The French love her but hate Sharapova! This is such a double standard and I don't even pull for Sharapova! I would much rather see Serena blast somebody apart on the court.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french07/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=2891777

tintin
06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I feel as though you just want to show off and talk trash because you think it makes you look cool and people will "fear" you on the boards. What awesome goals you have!

this is nothing but a tennis board mate,nothing more;nothing less.If I find your comment utterly stupid,I will tell you that;what you make of it;is none of my damn business,one bit.I don't come here to scare anyone on this board.You have the right to disagree with me or to agree;either way it doesn't matter.;) ;)

TheGreatestAudia
06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Keep tellin' yourself that. ;-)

princess bossass
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Truth, check your facts before composing your silly lists. She had already served the ball when Peppermint's paw went up. Case closed. Intentionally schemntionally :roll: .

Second, magic potions or no, she still schooled Henin in the US Open finals.

Just like Henin will school her here at the French if Sharapova somehow claws her way past Ana--unlikely to say the least.;)

jaykay
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
I agree with you for the most part. She's very bush league when it comes to certain plays. However, everyone has done something that has been questionable and we all know it. I am in no way defending this type of behavior. I hate it! But don't single people out as if they are the only ones that try this type of thing when they are down. I have watched several matches where respectable players call "injury" timeouts or bathroom breaks to break up the momentum their opponent has. Yes, it is cheap and yes, it does work. Now, put yourself in her situation with the Schnyder's hand. First of all, you go back and watch the youtube video and you can clearly see that she didn't put her hand up until after Maria had hit the serve. There is no disputing this. Do I think Schnyder was trying to pull a fast one? No. I really and truly think she was trying to give Maria another shot at serving because it was unfair for that guy to do that at that time. There is no way on God's green Earth that Maria could have known that Schnyder's hand was up; even if her hand went up in the same split-second the Frenchman shouted. The ball was on its way up! Also, if you'll remember, and I'm not sure there is any video on this but, in 2003, the last time Henin and Serena faced off in the French, Henin put her hand up right as Serena was about to serve and Serena saw it at the last second and cut her swing down but still hit the ball into the net and the umpire gave her a fault! Did Henin say anything to the umpire and ask him to please give her a 'let'? Heck no! She is in this to win it and she is going to do whatever it takes to win! Do people come out and chastise her for it and call her crass? No. The French love her but hate Sharapova! This is such a double standard and I don't even pull for Sharapova! I would much rather see Serena blast somebody apart on the court.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french07/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=2891777

WHAT??? The last sentence in the ESPN.com article by Greg Garber has Serena saying, "...And especially living in the PUBIC eye like me, its not easy...". I wonder she wants to live in the 'pubic' eye...? ;) :D

jaykay
06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
if u listen even closer, u can hear patty letting one go shortly after raising her hand.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! ROFLMAO! HILARIOUS!!! Thanks Raftermania, that absolutely appealed to my totally juvenile sense of humor! HAHAHAHAHAHA! :-D Too funny...

FitzRoy
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
^ Maria's shrieking is expected. A guy yelling during the ball toss isn't. If Maria had served a fault, she would have definitely asked for another serve and gotten it.

Are you sure about that? I've never seen it happen, so I don't know. One would think that if the shout disturbed her, she could simply catch the toss, or even just let the ball drop without hitting it. I recall Gonzalez doing that once, and maybe Canas against Fed in Miami this year.

Moose Malloy
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Maria's shrieking is expected. A guy yelling during the ball toss isn't. If Maria had served a fault, she would have definitely asked for another serve and gotten it.

I've seen many players over the years ask for another serve when someone yells out & they almost never get it, even in Davis Cup. Most don't even ask because they know the chair won't give it to them. Can you name an example of it happening? I'm sure this is something that chairs are trained on(to say something like the chair said to Schnyder on Sunday, I can't do anything about it, etc, than make an announcement to the crowd-quiet in between serves, etc)

I recall somebody yelled out during Todd Martin's serve when he was down match point in the '99 US Open final vs Agassi(not enough time to catch the ball it was midswing), the players just ignored it(but Mac mentioned how distracting that must have been)

Players are allowed to catch a ball when they start serving, but once they hit it, it stands.

baseliner87
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA! ROFLMAO! HILARIOUS!!! Thanks Raftermania, that absolutely appealed to my totally juvenile sense of humor! HAHAHAHAHAHA! :-D Too funny...

ha ha ha you ok there

35ft6
06-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I've seen many players over the years ask for another serve when someone yells out & they almost never get it, even in Davis Cup. Most don't even ask because they know the chair won't give it to them. Can you name an example of it happening? No I can't, so I'll take your word for it.

kingdaddy41788
06-05-2007, 07:39 PM

WHAT? Give me ONE other example of that from someone who isn't a complete @$$.

princess bossass
06-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Vaidisova did it during her quarterfinal match against Jankovic. Took more than 30 seconds, and no time violation warning. It was, however, on her own serve. Still--she did it.

TheGreatestAudia
06-06-2007, 03:57 AM
Vaidisova did it during her quarterfinal match against Jankovic. Took more than 30 seconds, and no time violation warning. It was, however, on her own serve. Still--she did it.

Toucher. ;-)

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Truth, check your facts before composing your silly lists. She had already served the ball when Peppermint's paw went up. Case closed. Intentionally schemntionally :roll: .

Second, magic potions or no, she still schooled Henin in the US Open finals.

Just like Henin will school her here at the French if Sharapova somehow claws her way past Ana--unlikely to say the least.;)

You're only contesting the one? The last part of that said when a player holds their hand up it's like a timeout. School yourself! And if brown smoking bottles mean nothing to you, (which they're not supposed to drink from any bottle that isn't clear) then I see your point. It doesn't matter how you win, just that you win. Yeah, I like your style. NOT!

tennissavy
06-06-2007, 09:33 AM

Federer, Agassi, Sampras, Nadal, Williams, Petrova, Henman...

Azzurri
06-06-2007, 09:47 AM

sorry dude, but the ump won't give Serena a let...nothing Henin could do, that is why she supposedly said nothing. Its the rules, don't blame Justine and please don't use her as an example to Sharapova....she does not have anywhere near the gamesmanship. IMO, I rarely see players act like jerks on the court since the days of Johnny Mac (ironically he is my idol) until Sharapova. I basically hated Sharapova since that Golovin match. Actually earlier than that, but it cemented my hatred for her.

princess bossass
06-06-2007, 10:58 AM
You're only contesting the one? The last part of that said when a player holds their hand up it's like a timeout. School yourself! And if brown smoking bottles mean nothing to you, (which they're not supposed to drink from any bottle that isn't clear) then I see your point. It doesn't matter how you win, just that you win. Yeah, I like your style. NOT!

I was only correcting you where you were wrong, dear. There there now.

Wait... did you actually just say "NOT"? LOL! :lol: :lol:

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 02:56 PM
I was only correcting you where you were wrong, dear. There there now.

Wait... did you actually just say "NOT"? LOL! :lol: :lol:

Sarcasm. Cute. Better run and hide now. Princess has spoken.

princess bossass
06-06-2007, 06:40 PM
::ring ring::

"Hello, Pot? This is Kettle..."

I'm only playing, Truth. Silliness is bliss.:wink:

naffi
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
What else was the ump going to do? If she's in her serve motion, and it bothered her, you'd think she would stop, and Schnyder wouldn't have to say anything. It's hard for me to believe that tennis players need utter silence to play. Half of them shriek like banshees now, anyway.

All this crappy commentary makes me ask something I never thought I would: Where's Tracy Austin? I can't believe I just wrote that.
******************.blogspot.com

I remember differently though, I could be wrong but I thought someone yelled BEFORE Sharapova hit the serve. That's why McEnore was saying after reviewing the replay he wished Schynder wins the game so the call would not be a deciding point for the match.

Also, the commentators seem to imply that she can not replace the racquet if it appears to be allright especially at the end of the match, guess no rule prohibiting it, all sporty matters. And it probably why she was booed.

MoFed
06-06-2007, 06:56 PM
sorry dude, but the ump won't give Serena a let...nothing Henin could do, that is why she supposedly said nothing. Its the rules, don't blame Justine and please don't use her as an example to Sharapova....she does not have anywhere near the gamesmanship. IMO, I rarely see players act like jerks on the court since the days of Johnny Mac (ironically he is my idol) until Sharapova. I basically hated Sharapova since that Golovin match. Actually earlier than that, but it cemented my hatred for her.
So you're saying that if Serena had hit an ace Justine wouldn't have complained that she put her hand up? Henin said in the press conference afterward that the ump never asked her if she put her hand up. So she didn't volunteer the information. Good sportmanship is good sportsmanship. You don't if Justine had stepped up and said I held up my hand we'll play a let that the ump would have argued with her. I don't think so.
I saw Roger go check a mark that Robredo never even questioned because he wasn't sure it was out. That's sportmanship! In both situations the girls could have stepped up to the plate and said yes we'll play a let, but they didn't.

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
::ring ring::

"Hello, Pot? This is Kettle..."

I'm only playing, Truth. Silliness is bliss.:wink:

It doesn't bother me. You're just being you. I can appreciate that! I am too old, and too wise (my opinion) to be offended by someone I don't know. I laughed. I thought it was funny!

BigGriff
06-06-2007, 11:28 PM

That statement is so true.

TheGreatestAudia
06-07-2007, 03:44 AM

The point I was making was that move was very shady and you know it. I know it's the Ump's decision and they don't just hand out lets but, even if Henin didn't go up to the umpire and just ask, which wouldn't have been hard, she could have aknowledged that it was a unsportsman-like move and given Serena a nod or raised her hand. Also, my point by bringing Henin into this is the fact she is known for this kind of thing but it doesn't get talked about as much and Maria might be worse than she is but Maria catches a lot of flack just because she is Maria Sharapova and there is not a second where she is not criticized for something.

Azzurri
06-07-2007, 05:47 AM
So you're saying that if Serena had hit an ace Justine wouldn't have complained that she put her hand up? Henin said in the press conference afterward that the ump never asked her if she put her hand up. So she didn't volunteer the information. Good sportmanship is good sportsmanship. You don't if Justine had stepped up and said I held up my hand we'll play a let that the ump would have argued with her. I don't think so.
I saw Roger go check a mark that Robredo never even questioned because he wasn't sure it was out. That's sportmanship! In both situations the girls could have stepped up to the plate and said yes we'll play a let, but they didn't.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know an ump won't give a let on a serve that was actually hit into the net. I don't know what Henin would have done...not able to make that assumption.

princess bossass
06-08-2007, 04:59 PM
It doesn't bother me. You're just being you. I can appreciate that! I am too old, and too wise (my opinion) to be offended by someone I don't know. I laughed. I thought it was funny!
Good times then! Laughter is what brings us all together, even if we disagree about imporant issues like, oh, say, women's professional tennis, LOL. I may not know you, but if you have a sense of humor you've demonstrated my #1 most important quality in a human being (c;

Kirko
06-08-2007, 05:27 PM
she is a shrieking idiot who will use gamesmanship to win at all costs

you got it. she's POS material. her and her "regal bearing". your typical coarse russian. russia the mexico of eurasia.