PDA

View Full Version : Should Hewitt retire?

VolklVenom
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
He has a baby to think about, and a wife to wine and dine.
He is getting softer (less agro) and to "save face" he should pull out now :)

Andrew
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Considering this is some of the best tennis Hewitt's played in a long time... I'm going to have to go ahead and completely disagree.

VolklVenom
06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
what!!!!!!?

Nadal_Freak
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
what!!!!!!?
Considering Hewitt is not really a clay court player and yet did pretty well in Hamburg and Roland Garros, I think he still has some good matches left in him.

pj80
06-04-2007, 05:17 PM
watch out for hewitt in the american hard court season

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Judging from watching the match today, Hewitt was the one that seemed like he was pressing the entire match, even when he had a lead. Who can blame him with the bull (Nadal) on the other side of the net waiting to pounce on every ball thrown at him?

The better player won today and Lleyton, even though not a fan have a lot of good tennis ahead of him. If he is healthy during the grass court and hard-court season leading up to Flushing Meadows, he should put up some strong results

Swingin Richard
06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't know. He doesn't have much weaponry, but why not kick around the tour for a few years, rake in some millions. It's not like he has some amazing legacy to protect. I'd keep playing.

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
He's still one of the best in the worl and has some good touraments left in him and alot of history to make. The game has advanced and Hewitt is having problems with that at the moment!

VolklVenom
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't know. He doesn't have much weaponry, but why not kick around the tour for a few years, rake in some millions. It's not like he has some amazing legacy to protect. I'd keep playing.

I suppose a "journeyman" existence would be pretty cool.

MariaS
06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes he should retire and take "googly eyes" with him. :D

tennis_hand
06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
another "retire" thread.

Breaker
06-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Wow, this thread rates the lowest out of the retirement threads as it seems you are being serious...

VolklVenom
06-04-2007, 06:20 PM
absolutely!

zapvor
06-04-2007, 07:32 PM
i was watching his match at Rolan Garros and he looked pretty darn decent to me. and his wife is banging

TENNIS_99
06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
He has a baby to think about, and a wife to wine and dine.He is getting softer (less agro) and to "save face" he should pull out now :)

Maybe this is why he needs to keep on playing:)

I think he's doing well enough to stay on the tour. People can't expect him to be the same Hewiit. But he will still be a factor if he keeps healthy and strives to stay around 10-15. With some lucks he might have a good hightlight before he retires.

Mad iX
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Hewitt got beat by the king of clay, so he should retire. Great logic there.

Sakumo
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
another "retire" thread.

No kidding, when ever someone loses, here come the threads. "Time for fed to retire." Or "Time for Nadal to retire, fed has him figured out." It's just ridiculous

FitzRoy
06-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow, this thread rates the lowest out of the retirement threads as it seems you are being serious...

Breaker...of COURSE it's serious. Haven't you seen Hewitt in the last few weeks? The dude obviously needs to just stop trying.

alwaysatnet
06-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Of course Hewitt is on the long down side of his career but it's a gentle slope for him. I think retirement is a bit drastic, but he did seem very outclassed by the Sweaty Spin Monkey Nadal(but who isn't on clay?)
There is only one man that can turn back Nadal and I think we will see Federer do that in the finals. Then again, we might not.

kingdaddy41788
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Stupid thread. Period. Go home.

psamp14
06-04-2007, 09:36 PM
watch out for hewitt in the american hard court season

agreed pj80....nadal came out firing today and hewitt started out a bit slowly, but the 3rd set was a good effort from hewitt and this is his least favorite surface, let alone he played nadal, 2 time defending RG champ and the undisputed king of clay

hewitt's best game comes out on grass and during the us open series....if hewitt and nadal meet again at say cincy or toronto, i wouldnt be surprised at all if hewitt wins

jukka1970
06-04-2007, 10:14 PM
He has a baby to think about, and a wife to wine and dine.
He is getting softer (less agro) and to "save face" he should pull out now :)

He's been playing better now then he has in years. I haven't seen that determination in him for at least 3 years. Yes he's got a family, and he's supporting them with his work, which happens to be tennis.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you, I think at the very least his training is paying off. He already outlasted 2 players coming back from one set down and from the other 2 sets down. And his reward was to play Nadal who's won the French Open 2 years in a row, who at Hamburg gave Nadal quite a match. And even here, he still gave a good performance.

Jukka

SoBad
06-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Stupid thread. Period. Go home.

Not at all. On the contrary, there should be a stickied thread under "General Pro" entitled "Should Every Pro Who Loses a Tour Match Retire?", as well as a sticky under "Pro Gear" entitled "Post Latest Setup of Every Pro Who Won a Tour Match". That way all these thought-provoking discussions could be happening in one well-organised place.

roysid
06-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Why should Hewitt retire just because he's not in top 15 or he has lost to the best clay court player.

If that were true, then all lower ranked players should retire.

Ok. From another perspective, Hewitt is not there at the top which he was some years back. So he should retire. But let him fight for a few years left in him. After that, for the rest of his life he'll be like a

Lendl/Sampras etc: Just play golf and do nothing
Mcenroe/Courier/Connors etc : Be a commentator/coach i.e associate with tennis.

But that doesn't give the pleasure of playing in centre-courts of slams. Plus you earn a lot for the future (prize+endorsements)

VolklVenom
06-04-2007, 11:09 PM
ok, i'm only fooling around.
But the impetus for the thread originates from reports that Hewitt, is back; watch out Hewitt is lookin like his old grand-slam self, Hewitt this; Hewitt that! Hewitt can beat Nadal; Hewitt can win FO, etc, etc.
Not his fault, but as usual the "gutter trash" is a tad annoying.

Maybe shouldve gone in Rants & Raves