PDA

View Full Version : Blake, Berdych, and Safin forehand grips?

pow
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
What forehand grips does each of them use?
Just wondering since they are flat hitters.

LarougeNY
06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Just because they hit flat doesn't mean its because of their grip.
Berdych-eastern
Blake-I think it looks semi w
Safin-Clearly Semi W

pow
06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Berdych-eastern
Safin-Clearly Semi W

yea, but I couldn't exactly ask about their swing path though. Thanks.

Bogie
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
you're right about blake and safin, but berdych definitely isn't eastern. he's a semi as well but holds it dead on whereas safin and blake tend to lean a tiny bit towards the western bevel.

dommod
06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Any eastern grip players in modern game today?

ShcMad
06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Safin's grip is as textbook Semi-Western as it gets. I believe Blake has the exact same grip as Safin's.

As far as Eastern grip players these days... I can only think of Hyung-Taik Lee on the men's side. Some people argue Gasquet uses an Eastern, but I doubt it.

War, Safin!
06-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Safin's grip is as textbook Semi-Western as it gets. I believe Blake has the exact same grip as Safin's.
That pretty much explains why Safin isn't very comfortable on grass: the SW grip naturally closes the racquet face, forcing you to swing up from underneath the ball - bad for low-boucning balls.

dommod
06-11-2007, 05:50 PM
That pretty much explains why Safin isn't very comfortable on grass: the SW grip naturally closes the racquet face, forcing you to swing up from underneath the ball - bad for low-boucning balls.

Some say Federer use hybrid grip. Is this one reason he has won Wimbledon?

J-man
06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Berdych-eastern
Safin-Clearly Semi WAre you kidding Berdych does not hit with an eastern. Almost no one hits with an eastern grip any more.