PDA

View Full Version : Federer pegs Kuznetsova as the one to watch

charlottefromca
06-04-2007, 09:34 PM
From CBS sportsline

PARIS -- Roger Federer picked Svetlana Kuznetsova to win the women's title at the French Open.

The top-ranked Federer, when asked to name who he thought would claim the Grand Slam title, shot back an answer almost as quickly as one of his forehands.

"Kuznetsova," Federer said Friday. "I like her game. She plays well."

The third-seeded Kuznetsova reached the third round when she beat Meghann Shaughnessy on Thursday. The 21-year-old Russian -- a U.S. Open champion in 2004 -- reached the final last year, losing to Justine Henin.

Federer, who also lost in last year's final -- to Rafael Nadal -- keeps up to date on all men's and women's scores.

"I want to have a look at the results at the end of the day," Federer said. "I just want to be informed of the highlights of the day, to know what has happened during the day."

The 10-time Grand Slam champion reached the fourth round Friday, beating Potito Starace of Italy

-------------------------

From WTA's website

Although she didn't win a title in this year's clay court lead-up, Kuznetsova was one of the top finishers at every European stop: a semifinalist at Warsaw and a runner-up at consecutive Tier I events in Berlin and Rome. Coupled with her Roland Garros run from last year, it's no surprise that she was touted by Roger Federer as one of his favorite players to watch on the women's tour.

"The Russian press told me about this and I thought like, 'No, it was a joke.' So I went to the internet and read it. And if I got a compliment from anybody, the best thing to hear about myself, definitely this is the best I've ever heard. Roger is a legend. He's my hero. There are no more words to say about that."

tennis_hand
06-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Roger said last year's beaten WTA finalist to win the FO. He was actually hinting the same for ATP. ;)

boojay
06-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Gooooo Kuznetsova!

So who's Kuznetsova?

j/k

charlottefromca
06-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Roger said last year's beaten WTA finalist to win the FO. He was actually hinting the same for ATP. ;)

Ha! I didn't think about that.. so you think if she loses tommorw to Ivanovic Federer will have a mental feak-out.. lol

knasty131
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
nice point...a little subtle connection...but i think she can do it...but she must play extremely well to do so

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
From CBS sportsline

PARIS -- Roger Federer picked Svetlana Kuznetsova to win the women's title at the French Open.

The top-ranked Federer, when asked to name who he thought would claim the Grand Slam title, shot back an answer almost as quickly as one of his forehands.

"Kuznetsova," Federer said Friday. "I like her game. She plays well."

The third-seeded Kuznetsova reached the third round when she beat Meghann Shaughnessy on Thursday. The 21-year-old Russian -- a U.S. Open champion in 2004 -- reached the final last year, losing to Justine Henin.

Federer, who also lost in last year's final -- to Rafael Nadal -- keeps up to date on all men's and women's scores.

"I want to have a look at the results at the end of the day," Federer said. "I just want to be informed of the highlights of the day, to know what has happened during the day."

The 10-time Grand Slam champion reached the fourth round Friday, beating Potito Starace of Italy

-------------------------

From WTA's website

Although she didn't win a title in this year's clay court lead-up, Kuznetsova was one of the top finishers at every European stop: a semifinalist at Warsaw and a runner-up at consecutive Tier I events in Berlin and Rome. Coupled with her Roland Garros run from last year, it's no surprise that she was touted by Roger Federer as one of his favorite players to watch on the women's tour.

"The Russian press told me about this and I thought like, 'No, it was a joke.' So I went to the internet and read it. And if I got a compliment from anybody, the best thing to hear about myself, definitely this is the best I've ever heard. Roger is a legend. He's my hero. There are no more words to say about that."

In his 3rd Round interview, they asked him is there is anyone's game that he like on the WTA. He didn't pick her to win the title, in his quotes he just said he likes the way she plays. I think he just picked her based on her style of game which is known as the "hybrid" on the womans tour. But she has the game, its between the ears.

Alexandros
06-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Interesting how Federer has now mentioned he likes Kuznetsova and Serena's games, both power baseliners with all court ability. As opposed to say, Mauresmo or Henin who tend to play more fluidly and with more 'style' like he does.

travlerajm
06-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Interesting how Federer has now mentioned he likes Kuznetsova and Serena's games, both power baseliners with all court ability. As opposed to say, Mauresmo or Henin who tend to play more fluidly and with more 'style' like he does.

Maybe because Mauresmo outphysicals the other gals, while Henin is maybe not the best sportswoman going round. Kuznetsuva has probably the most technically sound all-around game on the WTA tour. (She'd have multiple grand slams by now if she was more athletic like Mauresmo or Henin).

Nerub
06-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Well Jankovic will just have to prove him wrong.

35ft6
06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Her strokes are so money. Too bad about the mug, though.

chiru
06-05-2007, 12:10 AM
dude how is mauresmo's game fluid. i mean granted its not god awful baseline bashing like the rest, but both her forehand and her backhand look so god awful. henin's game looks aesthetically the closest to roger.

tintin
06-05-2007, 03:59 AM
[QUOTE=chiru;1493017backhand look so god awful.
[/QUOTE]

her backhand is what?:shock:
mofo please!:rolleyes:
she and Henin have the best backhand in the women's game.She doesn't take the ball like Henin does,that's the only difference.
Her forehand is not good,yes but she doesn't use her forehand or tries not to because she wants to go to the net and finish points there time and again.
Ask McEnore or any commentators,she has the best hands and net game in the women's game.

dima
06-05-2007, 04:11 AM
she lost lol

TheTruth
06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Kuzzy is a big time choke. Wonder Roger would say that? Surely he knows of her meltdowns. Oh well!

forzainter
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
now jankovic to win the title

erik_PS95
06-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I think Roger wants to "peg" her in another way :twisted:

Zets147
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM

well yea, he likes to "catch the waves'

Ronaldo
06-05-2007, 12:18 PM

Likes em thick eh? Rather peg Anna as the one to watch.

mentalcase
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
She needs to lose weight.

mdjenders
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM

That's disgusting.

tintin
06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
damn there's a good chance Kuznetsova will pull out of Wimbledon if she really has her ab tear injury again.
She called the trainer during her match for her abs and apparently it's not looking good for her right now