PDA

View Full Version : Would Agassi still be playing if he didn't have backproblems?

djones
06-05-2007, 02:50 AM
I wonder, how long he would have continued to play on the Atp Tour.
As it appeared, he didn't have any other problems physicially besides his back, and was still able to hit those massive shots, he had been doing thruout his career.

Do you think he would still be playing untill his 40th or so?

spadesss
06-05-2007, 04:36 AM
i give him 2 more years and not playing the entire clay season.
even at his peak condition (minus the back problem), he is a bit older and lost some speed. while experience and maturity helped, all pros agreed that if you lose half a step, your game will drop regardless how good you are.
even guys like P. Sampras said that he is a bit slower and really hard to compete in the ATP tour.
no longer top 100 materail on a consistent basis. he may be have a good day but its hard to hold up for 1 or 2 weeks straight.

OrangeOne
06-05-2007, 04:42 AM
no longer top 100 materail on a consistent basis. he may be have a good day but its hard to hold up for 1 or 2 weeks straight.

Agassi, now, not top 100 material without a bad back? You're kidding, right?

spadesss
06-05-2007, 04:56 AM
Agassi, now, not top 100 material without a bad back? You're kidding, right?

let me clarify.
i meant to say that he would be ok for 2 more years.
i expected him to quit after 2 more years playing on the tour as he would be slower.
he would be ok for now, for 2 more years.

ubel
06-05-2007, 07:33 AM
As long as there was a chance for him to reach another major final, then I believe he would have kept playing. The back problems hampered his movement so much.. after rewatching the match, I'm really surprised he even got to the final and pushed Federer as much as he did; it was a huge testament to how much desire he had to win that 2005 US Open.

But yea, if he had no back problems, I don't doubt that he would have played for another 2 or 3 years. :)

Rabbit
06-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Agassi always said that the didn't see a reason to retire as long as he was winning and enjoying himself. This was in response to the oft asked question about retirement once Sampras left the stage.

couch
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
It really is a shame that injuries pushed Agassi out of the game. He was the most charismatic figures in tennis and still continues to be. I think he always said as long as he felt he could compete for major titles that he would continue to play. Well, given the injuries, he was no longer able to compete for majors. I think Agassi, at the end of his career, really enjoyed just "playing" tennis and "appreciated" it much more than he did earlier in his career. You have a tendency to take a lot of things for granted when you're young. ;)

Given all that, I think he would've played for maybe a couple more years. He would've been 39 at that point and maybe would've played until 40 once he made it to 39. 40 would have been a great stopping point for a great champion if you ask me. :)

DavaiMarat
06-05-2007, 12:18 PM
This is the same question that can be asked of any retired pro tennis player. Injuries, wear and tear and old age force you retire it's just a matter of when your body decides to say 'enough's enough'.

Heck MacEnroe would still say he be on the pro tour if he didn't get old as would any of the greats.

Time catches up with all of us.

So to your question, the answer would be yes. Not only Agassi but any player that has ever retired from the ATP tour.

chris1992
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
he left either due to injury or to spend time with family cos thats the only thing he loves more than tennis.

Warriorroger
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Don't think so, he would be a force, but once you're a dad, that is the most important thing. I do miss seeing Steffi in the stands.

FrancisFreym
06-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I never new agassi left because he had back problems, or injuries ~

He was old, he probably could have played for another year or so ~

Thanks for posting this ~

tricky
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
This is the same question that can be asked of any retired pro tennis player. Injuries, wear and tear and old age force you retire it's just a matter of when your body decides to say 'enough's enough'.

Yeah, I'm in total agreement, and it reveals how the OP's question is inherently circular. If you could play without pain at all, you could and probably would play pretty much forever. And that includes Sampras. But almost no professional athlete in any sport plays well into their 30s without some kind of recurring ailment.

It really is a shame that injuries pushed Agassi out of the game.

See, I actually think this was perhaps the best outcome for Agassi. Yes, it would have been nice to win more title and go out on top, but Agassi wouldn't have retired under those circumstances. The nature of his problem made it dangerous for him to continue on.

Before he had back problems, Agassi was still the among 2 best American players out there. Still hit the balls earlier than almost any other player out there. Still controlled the center of the court like few could. And in addition, he finally had a strong serve, started playing different shots, and even attacked the net on key points.

Mr. Sean
06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Cant wait for him to start commentating. He knows so much about the game. Definitely will break down all the players strengths and weakness very well.

stormholloway
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Who else besides Andre even gave trouble to Federer at the US Open? If Andre didn't have back problems, he would be top 20 without a problem.

Fries-N-Gravy
06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
old man with back problems gets to US Open final and takes a set from Federer. Pretty sure he'd still be top 20 for a while without back problems and continued training.