PDA

View Full Version : Pre Stretch Strings?

routine125
09-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Hello,

I have noticed many stringing posts recommending pre-stretching strings? What does this actually mean? I did a search on it and came up with nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tennis Guy
09-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Stretching strings before you string them. There will be less tension loss during stringing.

Craig Sheppard
09-27-2004, 06:00 PM
A pretty simple procedure for those who string their own racquets: Loop length of string through immovable object (door handle, table, etc), then stretch it taut and give it a good hard pull and hold it for a few seconds. Now you've go some prestretched your string.

Craig

Jerry Seinfeld
09-28-2004, 03:05 AM
The purpose is as described in previous posts. A prestretch not only helps to reduce some of the initial tension loss, but it also removes coil memory reducing the string's nesting properties as well as reducing chances for kinking during installation.

When prestretching string it is important that you find a method that can be replicated for each string job. Consistency is important. If you want to have a consistent string job each time your prestretch needs to have zero variance. For me I tie one end around a door knob and use my spare flying clamp to hold the other. I then hold the clamp/string behind my back and lean forward for 25 seconds. I then release tension and then pull again for another 15 seconds. I do not face the string in case it snaps or the knot on the door knob releases. This hasn't happened, but it is a safety precaution to protect my ugly mug.

christo
09-28-2004, 09:36 AM
LOL, Jerry you should be a comedian.

leog
09-28-2004, 08:48 PM
local stringer told me that you don't need to pre-stretch most synthetics (ie, prince synguts, gamma tnts, etc)...what do you online stringers think?

exigentsky
09-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Should gut be pre stretched also?

Steve Huff
09-29-2004, 07:23 PM
VS nor BDE recommend it. I don't prestretch Bow Brand either, unless someone specifically asks for it. I don't when stringing my own rackets either. I don't know what Klip or other gut man. advise.