PDA

View Full Version : No tennis players in top 50 paid athletes?

carrwash13
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM
So I just saw the list of the top 50 paid athletes including endorsements and no tennis players were on it even though the bottom 40-50 are making around $15 mill. I thought Sharapova's nike contract would have made her be up there? Anyone know how much fed pulled in?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2007/index.html?cnn=yes

NEVERMIND I JUST SAW IT WAS U.S. ONLY.......for international go to:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2007/index.20.html

Fed's #3

chris1992
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
This is because apart from sponsorship deals, players have to work really hard to get loaded. An average footballer could be paid 50,000 a week even if he played badly. A tennis player cant afford to do that and only gets the big bucks through winning.

Moose Malloy
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Woods: $111,941,827

Federer: $31,343,885

Guess that puts the whole golf vs tennis thing in perspective...

FitzRoy
06-05-2007, 10:59 AM

Guess that puts the whole golf vs tennis thing in perspective...

Yep. Tiger is almost certain to become the first billionaire athlete.

Andres
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Yep. Tiger is almost certain to become the first billionaire athlete.
Actually, Jordan has been reported to have between 900 million and 1.2 billion dollars at some point.
Of course, this divorce thing has screwed that number up ;)

edmondsm
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
This is not suprising at all actually.

Even though tennis players make very good money even outside the top 100, it pails in comparison to what other athletes make. Just look at the league minimums in the major American sports and you see that even the bottom of the barrel is making more than the top tennis players.

maneater
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
i heard Sharapova was the 4th most paid athlete ( of 2006 at least)

adlis
06-06-2007, 07:11 PM
This is not suprising at all actually.

Even though tennis players make very good money even outside the top 100, it pails in comparison to what other athletes make. Just look at the league minimums in the major American sports and you see that even the bottom of the barrel is making more than the top tennis players.

the 100th ranked epl player (based on transfer fee)gets paid 4000% more than a 100th ranked atp.

the typical prize money for winning a atp event is $68,000 almost all epl,nba,nfl,f1 players/drivers get paid wayy more that much per week regardless of winning, unless you are winning tournaments every other week you will be one poor athlete.

thanu
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
That link you posted is for AMERICAN athletes. I was looking at the list and was wondering why Yao Ming wasn't on there.. they have a seperate list for international athletes and Federer is #3.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2007/index.20.html

Thanu

BigGriff
06-06-2007, 11:57 PM
It's unfortunate but Tennis doesn't get the publicity other sports get.

pound cat
06-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Ion Tiriac, former tennis player and owner of IMG, shipping magnate and owner of half of Eastern Europe is one of the 50 richest men in the world. (Forbes magazine)

Bjorn99
06-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Edmondson, ARE you kidding me? There is NOOOOO money in tennis. Players around 100, making money? No way. Not happening. If you play this sport and expect to make money, you had better be off the dial. Sam Querrey will be lucky to have 50 cent when he retires.

A friend of mine is top ten in the world in doubles and says he has to win every tournament other than Grand Slams to even break even. There is NO Dough here at all.

Everyone EXCEPT the players makes money. Rackets, balls, tournaments, sponsors, they are all awash with dough, but the players get squat.

Andres
06-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Edmondson, ARE you kidding me? There is NOOOOO money in tennis. Players around 100, making money? No way. Not happening. If you play this sport and expect to make money, you had better be off the dial. Sam Querrey will be lucky to have 50 cent when he retires.

A friend of mine is top ten in the world in doubles and says he has to win every tournament other than Grand Slams to even break even. There is NO Dough here at all.

Everyone EXCEPT the players makes money. Rackets, balls, tournaments, sponsors, they are all awash with dough, but the players get squat.
That's so far far far away from reality. But of course, how can I argue with you, almighty Borg, who have partied with Safin and cured malaria and AIDS!

Most Top100 make a nice living. I can't say the same about players BELOW it.

jhhachamp
06-07-2007, 06:53 AM
I wonder who was #5 last year on the American list last year. It wasn't anyone in the current top 50, so it must have been someone who has recently retired. It must have been Agassi.

Tennis_Nickmo
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Yup, I'm sure he has to win every tournament, other than Grand Slams, just like all your other imaginary tennis pro friends. Top 10 Doubles will be comfortably off, don't talk out of your arse. Although, from your other posts, that seems all you're capable of.

Moose Malloy
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I wonder who was #5 last year on the American list last year. It wasn't anyone in the current top 50, so it must have been someone who has recently retired. It must have been Agassi.

I wouldn't be surprised if Agassi makes more than Nadal or Federer this year, even in retirement. The amount he makes in endorsements is staggering, I doubt any tennis player will ever approach it. He's not far from Jordan, Woods, etc, I remember when he signed a 100 mill contract with Nike in '95.

jmsx521
06-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Guess that puts the whole golf vs tennis thing in perspective...That means Woods should pay for the dinners!

thejuice
06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Actually, Jordan has been reported to have between 900 million and 1.2 billion dollars at some point.
Of course, this divorce thing has screwed that number up ;)

The difference between Tiger and MJ is that MJ's totals equal his earnings even in retirement. Tiger will more than likely be a billionaire athlete while he is still competing.

Vision84
06-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I get angry just seeing the sports section of the paper here in Britain. About 6 pages each for Soccer and Cricket another 4 for Rugby, one for horse racing and less than half a page for tennis usually only containing an article about the status of Murray. Now that the French open is on they donated a whole page to tennis 80% pof which is just a big picture.

Just goes to show the interest in tennis is quite a bit below other sports. I find team sports to have a lot more interest which is probably why the players make more money. Golf is perhaps an exception though.

tricky
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I find team sports to have a lot more interest which is probably why the players make more money.

That goes without saying -- a team plays for and represents the local community. If a city or state or country is invested in a team, then of course more money will be parceled out.

J-man
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
A couple of guys from Chelsea on the list, that pretty cool