PDA

View Full Version : One disadvantage of electronic stringers

Steve Huff
03-14-2004, 09:46 PM
After replacing the grommets of a racket, I see that there is one thing I don't like about electric machines. The last grommet or 2 of the mains tends to try to pull out when stringing the last main. With a crank, I can pull really slowly to make sure the grommet doesn't pop out and leave the string exposed to the frame. With the electric, it just pulls. If the grommet pops out, you have to be quick to keep the string from getting u against the frame too much.

Hawaii 5.0
03-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah most machines don't have controllable string tension speeds, but you get used to holding that grommet in place and you should hold it in place every time as those last few becuase of tension angle are much more likely to pop out than others.Even on my old cranks and dropweights I would hold it and it just transfers over to my CP electronic machine.

Gaines Hillix
03-15-2004, 04:18 AM
Very true. I have a foot pedal on my Wise tension head, so it's easy to put my thumbs on either side of the string and hold the grommet strip in place while I activate the pull with my foot.

Steve Huff
03-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I have the foot pedal to on my Wise head. I was trying to hold the grommet in place on a HH 5.6 rollers. The last main still popped the grommet out. It hit me just above the fingernail. I bled all over (fortunately missed the racket). First time in 25 years I've been bitten by my machine (or a racket). As soon as the grommet popped out, I hit the foot pedal, so the string wouldn't pull up against the frame. I just couldn't keep the grommet in place, so I ended up running the string back through the next hole, locking the machine and pulling across the frame (like pulling 2 strings at once). I let it pull for a minute or so, and the last string was just as tight. Just a pain to have to do sometimes.

David Pavlich
03-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Yikes, Steve! That doesn't sound like fun.

I have a foot pedal and speed control. When I get in that situation, I set the speed at the lowest setting and that usually does it.

However, I've had a couple of frames that I've ended up using a couple of starting clamps and runnig a string across the grommets just above or below the grommet that's giving me a kniption. I tension the string to about 50 lbs and clamp it with a starting clamp. One of the worst is a TT Ring. The last grommet will pop out and sometimes the only way is to run a string across as I've described.

David

Steve Huff
03-18-2004, 06:01 PM
You're right about the Ring. The ones I've strung, I know to add a foot to the mains, just so I won't have to pull directly through that last grommet.