PDA

View Full Version : running in very cold weather

grizzly4life
06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
wondering what people know about running in very cold weather.... everyone tells me it's bad for you... why would that be? something about cold air and your lungs... but don't cross-country skiers from scandinavian countries and russia ski in very cold temperatures all the time??

very serious question... although probably moot because i'm a wimp, but i am curious.

zzzbrianxxx
06-06-2007, 07:09 AM
How cold are we talking? I'm from New England and have often run in sub-freezing weather. It's not fun...but I do it anyways.

Seriously, wear some gloves and a hat. You can definately get frostbite in these conditions.

grizzly4life
06-06-2007, 08:05 AM
How cold are we talking? I'm from New England and have often run in sub-freezing weather. It's not fun...but I do it anyways.

Seriously, wear some gloves and a hat. You can definately get frostbite in these conditions.

say minus 20 celsius, so a few degree below zero farenheit. although where i live it can get alot colder (my profile is out of date, i live near minneapolis now)

i do understand on the bundling up and appreciate your comments..... i was specifically thinking about breathing in very cold air.

Morpheus
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
It won't hurt you if you have the right clothing and watch out for wind chill.

Breathing cold air is fine unless you have either exercise or cold air induced asthma, which means you'll need to keep your inhaler with you.

dave333
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Spandex helps :)

richw76
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Man why do you people do stuff like this to yourselves? I grew up in Miami, and live in Atlanta now which is as far North as I'd EVER live. Running in -10 what's wrong with you :-)

Craig Sheppard
06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Man why do you people do stuff like this to yourselves? I grew up in Miami, and live in Atlanta now which is as far North as I'd EVER live. Running in -10 what's wrong with you :-)

How can you cross country ski in Atlanta?!?!

(Although I can't where I live now, but I miss it)

richw76
06-07-2007, 04:09 AM
How can you cross country ski in Atlanta?!?!

(Although I can't where I live now, but I miss it)

I wouldn't :-) . I used to have to travel for work. About 5 years ago I saw snow for the first time. It was AWESOME!! I looked at it, I played in it, I even made a little snowman...........then I had to dig my @#$@#$! car out the Hotel parking lot the next morning. They don't tell you that 10-12 inches of snow equals about two feet+ on your car. The love affair was OVER :-)

snoopy
06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Here's what the organizers of the antartic marathon ( http://www.icemarathon.com/live/151.html ) suggest wearing for their race

What clothes should I wear when running?

A layering system is best, which should incorporate the following:

Upper body – thermal layer, fleece layer and outer windproof shell
Legs – thermal layer and windproof pants (middle fleece layer optional)
Hands – pair of gloves and mittens
Feet – two pairs of woollen socks and neoprene to cover toes
Head – balaclava, facemask, hat, neck gaiter, goggles

It is extremely important to keep the peripherals warm (hands, feet, face) as these are the most vulnerable to cold-related conditions such as frost nip. Specific clothing advice is given to registered athletes.