PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Federer's class!

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
the HERALD

============
Roche keen to help Hewitt

Leo Schlink

June 01, 2007 12:00am
Article from: Herald-Sun

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

HIGHLY regarded Australian coach Tony Roche yesterday broke his silence to declare his interest in coaching Lleyton Hewitt.

Roche refused to elaborate on the reasons behind his dismissal from the Roger Federer camp.

However industry sources point to Federer's reluctance to pay Roche adequate bonuses, despite winning six of his 10 grand slams under the Sydneysider, as the main reason the pair fell out.

"I have no comment on that," Roche said yesterday.

"I'm taking a break at the moment and I don't have any plans right now.

"But it would be nice to be involved with an Australian player again. Lleyton and I go back a long way.

"He's playing the French Open right now and he's got Wimbledon coming up and I don't want to distract him from that. But when he gets back home after Wimbledon, I'd like to talk to him."

Roche, 62, was fired by Federer last month after the world No. 1 lost at the Rome Masters to Italian wildcard Filippo Volandri.

The decision shocked even the Swiss critics who declared Roche too old to help Federer, despite the pair's stunning record of 192 wins from 205 matches since 2005.

Those in Roche's corner are furious with comments made by Federer since the split.

He recently told The Times in London a breakdown in communication was the prime reason for the move.

"The situation with Tony had become really complex because all of a sudden we just didn't talk any more," Federer said.

"We would spend time on the practice court and barely say a word. It was sad but people change and times change.

"I suppose it is a special thing to coach me because of the set-up I have, how I am, how I see tennis and I know, as well, what is best for me.

"For me and my game, it is hard to have a coach but I remain open to anything. I've always had the gift that if someone tells me something, I can do it in five minutes. I don't need an hour."

Roche and Federer shared a handshake agreement since the end of the 2005 season.

The partnership was based on Roche travelling about 16 weeks a year, but floundered badly after Federer's victory at the Australian Open.

It is understood Roche was quietly dismayed at the reputedly meagre bonuses Federer awarded him for continued grand slam successes.

The Federer rewards are believed to be less than what Ivan Lendl, another world No. 1 mentored by Roche, paid the Australian during his halcyon sweep through the 1980s.

Roche is rumoured to have raised the issue with a senior figure in the Federer camp but, in doing so, is believed to have alienated Federer's influential girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec.

Hewitt wanted Roche to become his coach when Pat Rafter, coached by Roche, retired in 2002, but he was unable to take up the offer because of hip surgery.

Roche has always been close to Hewitt and, with Hewitt now living in Sydney, a union between the two seems inevitable.

forzainter
06-06-2007, 09:49 AM
it would be interesting to see what hewitt and roche could do together

epicsocks
06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't see what this has to do with Federer's class.

It's business.

Polaris
06-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Been there. Done that. This article was posted earlier on this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=136129).

It was confirmed by a TW member that The Herald Sun is a tabloid. For someone whose screen name is TheTruth, you allow a lot of leeway for rumors, speculation, and bad journalism. Your dislike of Federer is becoming comical.

Please accept this invitation to my Ignore List. You will love it there. It is full of Federer fanboys and Nadal fanboys, Federer haters and Nadal haters. And it is growing. Business is good, and we expect the stock to rise this year. :)

tintin
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
what a stinking load of rubbish

tricky
06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE: (Place X where applies)
[X] This topic did not need a separate thread
[_] Fake/duplicate account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[?] It is a lame troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[_] Original Poster's grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It compares Graf and Seles, in any way.
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[_] It is a serious discussion of a exhibition match
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year old's career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clown's chances at a clay event or in an individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people complain about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] It is the annual thread where people complain about Americans not showing up in Monte Carlo
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp is called a injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Been there. Done that. This article was posted earlier on this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=136129).

It was confirmed by a TW member that The Herald Sun is a tabloid. For someone whose screen name is TheTruth, you allow a lot of leeway for rumors, speculation, and bad journalism. Your dislike of Federer is becoming comical.

Please accept this invitation to my Ignore List. You will love it there. It is full of Federer fanboys and Nadal fanboys, Federer haters and Nadal haters. And it is growing. Business is good, and we expect the stock to rise this year. :)

I don't have to research someone as plastic as Federer. He shows it every time he opens his mouth. Sheesh! As far as being ignored by you---Bring it! This is the first time I've even seen your screen name, so ignore, ignore!

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
[_] Original Poster's grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year old's career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clown's chances at a clay event or in an individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people complain about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] It is the annual thread where people complain about Americans not showing up in Monte Carlo
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK

Nice list! I like, I like!

zapvor
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM

lol damn....ownage

just for info, those same quotes are in Vogue, but as outsiders we cant really say...i am sure Federer has his reasons. i wonder about Mirka....

tricky
06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Nice list! I like, I like!

I don't like your thread, but Fee's list is equal opportunity. If a Fed fan is ******* you off, feel free to use the list.

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't like your thread, but Fee's list is equal opportunity. If a Fed fan is ******* you off, feel free to use the list.

Sorry to hear that. But nobody has ticked me off. Why would I get in a snit over someone's right to their opinion? Why can't I not like Federer and Sharapova and say so? How many times do I see the Williams Sisters called apes, monkeys, and other derogatory names on this board? Plenty. How many posts have there been about Nadal and his pants adjusting, though many were not so nice. How many times have I seen Justine called a cheater with no outcry? So those of you who do get offended, I say get over it, because of you are not so nice to the other players on tour, or the posters on this board.

P.S.-Dismissive comments such as owned, next, etc. do not bother me. They simply show an inability to communicate effectively!

LarougeNY
06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
The truth, this has nothing to do with federers class.
No disrespect to Tony roche, but he probably didn't do crap for federer's game. He was probably more of a mental training guy, telling roger about abstract things on clay court tennis.

I mean, you really can't do much when you coach someone for like 12 weeks, and miss two of the four grandslams as well as the grass and american hardcourt seasons.

TheTruth
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
The truth, this has nothing to do with federers class.
No disrespect to Tony roche, but he probably didn't do crap for federer's game. He was probably more of a mental training guy, telling roger about abstract things on clay court tennis.

I mean, you really can't do much when you coach someone for like 12 weeks, and miss two of the four grandslams as well as the grass and american hardcourt seasons.

Good points as far as the merits of Roche as a coach, but Roche's supporters weren't all too happy with Federer for reasons unknown. Did you see the article where Federer was playing doubles with that unknown guy from Switzerland and the reporter said that the entire time Roche was there, Federer and What's-His-Name hit a few balls and then spent a lot of time talking at the net? Then, when the session was over they walked off leaving Roche to pick up the balls. Shortly after that the split occurred. Still, let's remember that Federer pursued Roche for quite awhile before Roche finally relented and told him that it would only be for a few weeks at a time. But, regarding the lack of class, the impetus was on the meager bonuses. Lendl's bonuses were more than Federer's giving him now? Lendl played in the 80's, I think that's pretty bad. "It's special having someone like me?" To me that's classless. That's what I was talking about, not whether Roche was beneficial or not. It was his comments about himself that I thought were classless.

tricky
06-06-2007, 05:22 PM
ow many times do I see the Williams Sisters called apes, monkeys, and other derogatory names on this board? Plenty. How many posts have there been about Nadal and his pants adjusting, though many were not so nice.

I agree -- I also find that stuff very, very offensive. It's cheap.

All I'm saying is feel free to use that list -- which also addresses Nadal haters -- if you think a thread is just there to bait people. Let's all make a better board.

LarougeNY
06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
"I suppose it is a special thing to coach me because of the set-up I have, how I am, how I see tennis and I know, as well, what is best for me.

That quote as a whole says something else, something different than just "I suppose it is a special thing to coach me".

Federer knows that he doesn't have to change much at all to keep up his success, and anyone with any common sense knows that you can't (shouldn't) try and fix something that isn't broken.

Its not classless, its the truth. He knows what's best for himself. He doesn't need to be told what to do like so many of the pros today, he knows what brought him to where he is know. The only people that may help him are his former coach (the one who passed away) and maybe peter lundren. Maybe darren cahill can help with something relating to keeping up with nadal, and maybe gil reyes can help with fitness.

I really can't think of any reason fed. would be classless in his comment, its the truth and everyone knows it.

Free_Martha
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Much is said between the lines. Roche has no words to say about Federer after the firing, either good or bad, and that says alot about the ill will he holds toward Roger.

8PAQ
06-07-2007, 12:42 PM
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK

Absolute classic :D