PDA

View Full Version : Is fitness a MUST factor?

monkeyisland90
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I see some old guys beating young guys through placement, consistency, but see them not very fit (having a gut), but able to play good still.

I'm debating if i should really get fit and not sure how much it would help me. I plan on playing league matches in usta and play other places etc... I was thinking to myself and came up a analogy and hopefully you guys can tell me if this is something that is right...

since i have like 15lbs to lose... is it like carrying 15lbs of weight with me and going on to the courts? or is it something that is completely different.

If it is like carying 15lbs and runnign around the court for 2-3 hours.. im definately motivated to lose a lot of weight and maybe strenth train.. though i do play a lot so i don't think i need to run any more...

richw76
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I see some old guys beating young guys through placement, consistency, but see them not very fit (having a gut), but able to play good still.

I'm debating if i should really get fit and not sure how much it would help me. I plan on playing league matches in usta and play other places etc... I was thinking to myself and came up a analogy and hopefully you guys can tell me if this is something that is right...

since i have like 15lbs to lose... is it like carrying 15lbs of weight with me and going on to the courts? or is it something that is completely different.

If it is like carying 15lbs and runnign around the court for 2-3 hours.. im definately motivated to lose a lot of weight and maybe strenth train.. though i do play a lot so i don't think i need to run any more...

You're kidding right? I say sit around the house all day eating dorritos and playing virtua tennis. ;-)

monkeyisland90
06-06-2007, 03:03 PM
No i'm not kidding.. i was mostly referring to ask about the analogy of carrying 15lb weight while playing.... (15lb is my target weight to lose) And basically if i lost that 15lbs, would it be like having no 15lb weight to carry around? If that's the case i would really get fit in a hurry.. as i can see why fitness is crucial... instead of technique placement alone etc... yah sounds like a dumb question but i'm trying to figure out the difference 15lbs would make.. :)

PS.. i prefer topspin 2 over virtual tennis.. :)

richw76
06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
No i'm not kidding.. i was mostly referring to ask about the analogy of carrying 15lb weight while playing.... (15lb is my target weight to lose) And basically if i lost that 15lbs, would it be like having no 15lb weight to carry around? If that's the case i would really get fit in a hurry.. as i can see why fitness is crucial... instead of technique placement alone etc... yah sounds like a dumb question but i'm trying to figure out the difference 15lbs would make.. :)

PS.. i prefer topspin 2 over virtual tennis.. :)

No 15 pound weight isn't a good comparison since your weight is distributed throughout your body.
If a 4.0+ player took on a pro soccer midfielder although the mid fielder is a superior athlete he'll get wiped off the court.

When I played Juniors I have seen Players that were not as "Good" win all the time due to superior fitness. They would be these base line grinders that would make you run and would run down every freakin ball. When they are STILL doing that in the 2nd,3rd set they are hard to beat.

And last thing when the old timers had the metabolism and time of a 20 year old they probably didn't have the guts and were in pretty good shape ;-)

tai2x
06-11-2007, 09:52 PM
You're kidding right? I say sit around the house all day eating dorritos and playing virtua tennis. ;-)

Let's play virtua tennis
SN?:)

Phil
06-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Unless you can actually play like those so-called old guys you mention, then I would suggest that you put down the Hershey bar and hit the gym, Large Boy.

Mad iX
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Fitness is important regardless, but if you hit the gym too much it might compromise your tennis. As with many things, you've gotta find the right balance.

chess9
06-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Fitness is not important simply to enable you to play better tennis. Fitness is important because your body is INTENDED to be USED as BUILT and not ABUSED with drugs, alcohol, excessive food, and other noxious uses.

By being fat you put yourself at risk for Type II diabetes, which is one of the fastest rising preventable diseases. You also put yourself at risk for high blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, and cancer. Yes, those who are obese are at a significantly higher risk of getting a number of different cancers, including colon cancer. Finally, as you get fat, you drive down your testosterone levels. Low T leads to a lack of sexual desire and an inability in some cases to have sex.

So, losing a few tennis matches to old guys is chump change compared to having some of the other "results" noted above.

Get smart, get fit, and have fun on the courts.

These are just my views about obesity, and I'm sure I'm wrong and someone here will tell me just how wrong I am.

-Robert

goober
06-12-2007, 06:06 AM
These are just my views about obesity, and I'm sure I'm wrong and someone here will tell me just how wrong I am.

-Robert

You're wrong!

haha j/k. :D

How to argue with being fit at any age is better than being obese. Two players of equal skill level, the fit player wins over the blob. Those old guys are just better players then their opponents and are winning in spite of their weight not because of it!

progman_2000
06-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Fitness is not important simply to enable you to play better tennis. Fitness is important because your body is INTENDED to be USED as BUILT and not ABUSED with drugs, alcohol, excessive food, and other noxious uses.

By being fat you put yourself at risk for Type II diabetes, which is one of the fastest rising preventable diseases. You also put yourself at risk for high blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, and cancer. Yes, those who are obese are at a significantly higher risk of getting a number of different cancers, including colon cancer. Finally, as you get fat, you drive down your testosterone levels. Low T leads to a lack of sexual desire and an inability in some cases to have sex.

So, losing a few tennis matches to old guys is chump change compared to having some of the other "results" noted above.

Get smart, get fit, and have fun on the courts.

-Robert

Bravo Robert!

Geezer Guy
06-12-2007, 06:43 AM

I'm debating if i should really get fit and not sure how much it would help me. I plan on playing league matches in usta and play other places etc... I was thinking to myself and came up a analogy and hopefully you guys can tell me if this is something that is right... ...

Good tennis skills will beat poor tennis skills, regardless of fitness.
Tennis skills being more-or-less equal, superior fitness will win.

To improve your tennis game, FIRST improve your tennis skills (both mental and physical). Then work on your fitness.

LuckyR
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM
As a corollary to the above excellent synopsis, your ability to perform the superior tennis skills deep into the second set will be in great part determined by fitness.

Joeyg
06-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Now that you only have to play 2 sets and then the ridiculous 10 point tie break, fitness isn't quite as important in USTA events. Have another bowl of ice cream or a big juicy cheeseburger!! You've earned it, mister.

chess9
06-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Now that you only have to play 2 sets and then the ridiculous 10 point tie break, fitness isn't quite as important in USTA events. Have another bowl of ice cream or a big juicy cheeseburger!! You've earned it, mister.

Good point! When I was a kid I often went into 30 and 40 game sets. One of my high school sets made the newspaper because it went something like 27-25. You had to have a lot of grit and endurance. Think of Laver's Grand Slam wins. Madre de Dios! He was an animal.

-Robert

Trainer
06-13-2007, 07:40 AM

If these old guys were more fit, they would beat those young guys even worse.

bad_call
06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
unfortunately fitness is a must for my game...at least competitively. btw - i'm carrying bout 20 lbs too much weight...however i think i must have shed a few pounds after last nite's bout.

PeakXV
06-13-2007, 08:13 AM
There is also a genetic factor with regards to your cardiovascular system and the effects it has on the central nervous system .... which basically will determine/control the efficiency in which you think/move/function under increasing heat,stress & physical strain ...... literally choke or not. With the above in mind, being as fit as possible is advised but does not always insure being in the zone of optimum performance.

TennezSport
06-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Fitness is good for another un-mentioned point. Preventing injury! Being fit will help your perform better and easier, maintain balance and avoid severe stess.

I have seen players play very well, but be out of shape and tear muscles and ligaments trying to make a tough shot. Keep yourself fit, get to your best weight for your body type and height and enjoy tennis a lot longer.

TennezSport :cool:

Bodacious DVT
06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
the reason why old guys beat young guys is because old guys only hit with as much power as they need to, they spin it, and put it right where it hurts.

origmarm
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Speaking as one of the formerly fit and now fat people. While my tennis skills have remained fairly static, my large backside/gut/take your pick means that I now lose to people I shouldn't. I can kill opponents that are much fitter than me but anyone with equal or say 20% less good skills, forget it. Its extremely frustrating. I reckon that losing that extra weight would make me a much better player than I am now. That said I have a very good base of tennis skills...
My advice would be to work on both but to give the tennis priority as you'll enjoy it more

dave333
06-16-2007, 07:52 AM
It'll probably increase speed and stamina.

armand
06-16-2007, 08:00 AM
For tennis, I think a little extra weight won't hurt that much. What's important is having a strong cardiovascular system so you won't get tired as fast(and remember when playing a serious match, you'll get tired way more quickly due to nerves).

chess9
06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Here's a test for you if you think having extra weight is no big deal. Go to the sports store and buy a weight belt like divers use or those ankle weights. Play with an extra 10 pounds around your middle or your ankles. Guys like Nastase are carrying an extra 30 lbs or more. Imagine the strain on his heart, lungs, and other organs? It's huge.

-Robert

OrangeOne
06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
To improve your tennis game, FIRST improve your tennis skills (both mental and physical). Then work on your fitness.

You make it sound like it's a mutually exclusive proposition - like you can only work on one at a time? It's very much not. Anyone can hit for a while and then go for a run for 30mins, running for 30 mins 3 or 4 times a week, or lifting weights a couple of times (assuming all else stays equal)...would probably fix most of the 'extra 15lbs' in only a few months. Eating a bit healthier wouldn't hurt, but most people start doing this once they start exercising a bit, it just naturally follows.

Anyways - tennis is important for tennis, and fitness (as Robert has pointed out) is important for life. Not a tough choice on which to prioritise....