PDA

View Full Version : Nastase's rolex >>>>>

Kirko
06-07-2007, 09:11 AM
being a collector of vintage & modern rolex watches I just stumbled across this. Just been listening to some of the French Open tennis coverage on the radio.
Pat Cash was relating a story regarding the loveable Romanian rogue Ilie Nastase - I'll paraphrase:

"Back in the 70s tennis sponsors used to have prize draws at the champion's dinner and one year Rolex had a very expensive watch as first prize in a raffle after the speeches were made. When the organisers asked for someone to draw the ticket for the top prize, as quick as a flash Nastase's enormous body-guard "Bambino" pushed his way to the tombola and pulled out a ticket. "Number 309!" shouted Bambino then immediately put the ticket into his pocket and left the stage.

The place erupted in hysterical laughter as Nastase climbed onto the stage to claim his Rolex, grinning broadly, brandishing the "winning" 309 ticket. Nobody from Rolex dared to ask for the matching ticket that Bambino "drew" out of the tombola as he was built like King-Kong and stood glaring at them from the bar!".

Rabbit
06-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Sounds like Nastase was from Chicago, not Romania....

Vote early....vote often!

keithchircop
06-10-2007, 01:26 AM
hilarious!

Capt. Willie
06-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Great story. Thanks for telling it. :)

zapvor
06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
being a collector of vintage & modern rolex watches I just stumbled across this. Just been listening to some of the French Open tennis coverage on the radio.
Pat Cash was relating a story regarding the loveable Romanian rogue Ilie Nastase - I'll paraphrase:

"Back in the 70s tennis sponsors used to have prize draws at the champion's dinner and one year Rolex had a very expensive watch as first prize in a raffle after the speeches were made. When the organisers asked for someone to draw the ticket for the top prize, as quick as a flash Nastase's enormous body-guard "Bambino" pushed his way to the tombola and pulled out a ticket. "Number 309!" shouted Bambino then immediately put the ticket into his pocket and left the stage.

The place erupted in hysterical laughter as Nastase climbed onto the stage to claim his Rolex, grinning broadly, brandishing the "winning" 309 ticket. Nobody from Rolex dared to ask for the matching ticket that Bambino "drew" out of the tombola as he was built like King-Kong and stood glaring at them from the bar!".

hmmm...thats not very nice. everyone let him get away with it too