PDA

View Full Version : Andre Agassi's Workout

Marius_Hancu
06-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Courtesy to wayne50

-----------

Andre Agassi's Workout

Since trainer Gil Reyes started working with Agassi 17 years ago, the tennis star has been nearly injury-free. Here is their secret strategy.

By: Amy Levin-Epstein

STRETCHING
Agassi stretches his back and shoulders using resistance tubing attached to a floor rack. First, he holds one tube in each hand, facing the rack with slightly bent knees. He leans forward like he's waterskiing and gradually rotates his hands inward until they touch his ribs. He holds the position for 3 seconds, pauses, and repeats it 10 times. Then, he turns around, raises the cords overhead and leans forward, holding the stretch for 3 seconds before pausing and repeating it 10 times.

CHEST
The emphasis here is to build explosive strength for his forehand, backhand, and serve. First, he bench-presses a "reach" weight, which is up to 315 pounds. Then, he finishes with four sets of seven to 10 reps using lighter weights. "You achieve perfect form only if you practice with lighter weights," say Reyes. To customize Andre's lifting exercises, Reyes recommends finding your ideal weight by aiming for seven to 10 reps. If you're straining at three reps, the weight is too heavy. If you can do more than 10 reps, the weight is too light; add more in 5-pound increments.

SHOULDERS
Serving match after match can create a stronger right shoulder that overcompensates for a weaker left one when performing exercises in which both arms are moving the weight. The solution: using dumbbells to work the shoulders separately. Agassi lifts 50-pound dumbbells from his shoulders over his head for seven to 10 reps. Then, with palms down and dumbbells on the front of his thighs, he raises them with straight arms directly in front to chest level for five to seven reps. Agassi works his lats with three sets of lat pulldowns (seven to 10 reps) with 200 pounds of weight. When he moves to triceps and biceps he uses barbells or a bicep and triceps machine, finishing three sets of seven repetitions in a super set to keep momentum.

LEGS
Because Agassi gets the necessary power for his ground strokes and serves from his legs, the workout is divided with 70 percent of the time being spent on the lower body and core and 30 percent of the workout hitting the upper body. Agassi starts with leg presses, doing five sets of seven to 10 reps with 150 pounds. For the quads he completes the same reps on the leg extension machine but with slightly heavier weight (200 pounds). He finishes with calf raises on a machine, five sets of 10 reps with 400 pounds.

CORE
Agassi does three sets of 10 squats with an 80-pound bar resting on his shoulders. "Squats are so good because they involve almost every muscle in the body," says Reyes. When he's not at home and able to use his customized pulley machine for his abs, Andre takes a 45-pound plate and holds it to his chest for five sets of 10 to 20 crunches. Reyes advises starting with a 10-pound plate, and once you can do 20 to 25 reps comfortably, adding 5 pounds at a time.

CARDIO
Agassi runs on hills outside his training facility for even more leg strength and cardio endurance. He does a 320-yard route eight to 14 times. Sometimes he goes straight up the hill or breaks it up into short sprints. Sometimes he goes backwards or sideways. If he's already played for two hours twice that day, he might skip this step.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cda/article/0,5507,s1-2---1973,00.html
-----------

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks Marius, I don't have a leg extension machine or calf raise machine.
In my case, what do you recommend for stronger legs?

tricky
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
In my case, what do you recommend for stronger legs

I'm going to bet Nadal's capri pants that Marius says squats Squats are your leg's best friend. Leg extensions have their place (mostly for quad conditioning rather than strength, per se), but squats are your foundation.

Ano
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Courtesy to wayne50

-----------

Andre Agassi's Workout

Since trainer Gil Reyes started working with Agassi 17 years ago, the tennis star has been nearly injury-free. Here is their secret strategy.

STRETCHING
Agassi stretches his back and shoulders using resistance tubing attached to a floor rack. First, he holds one tube in each hand, facing the rack with slightly bent knees. He leans forward like he's waterskiing and gradually rotates his hands inward until they touch his ribs. He holds the position for 3 seconds, pauses, and repeats it 10 times. Then, he turns around, raises the cords overhead and leans forward, holding the stretch for 3 seconds before pausing and repeating it 10 times.

CHEST
The emphasis here is to build explosive strength for his forehand, backhand, and serve. First, he bench-presses a "reach" weight, which is up to 315 pounds. Then, he finishes with four sets of seven to 10 reps using lighter weights. "You achieve perfect form only if you practice with lighter weights," say Reyes. To customize Andre's lifting exercises, Reyes recommends finding your ideal weight by aiming for seven to 10 reps. If you're straining at three reps, the weight is too heavy. If you can do more than 10 reps, the weight is too light; add more in 5-pound increments.

SHOULDERS
Serving match after match can create a stronger right shoulder that overcompensates for a weaker left one when performing exercises in which both arms are moving the weight. The solution: using dumbbells to work the shoulders separately. Agassi lifts 50-pound dumbbells from his shoulders over his head for seven to 10 reps. Then, with palms down and dumbbells on the front of his thighs, he raises them with straight arms directly in front to chest level for five to seven reps. Agassi works his lats with three sets of lat pulldowns (seven to 10 reps) with 200 pounds of weight. When he moves to triceps and biceps he uses barbells or a bicep and triceps machine, finishing three sets of seven repetitions in a super set to keep momentum.

LEGS
Because Agassi gets the necessary power for his ground strokes and serves from his legs, the workout is divided with 70 percent of the time being spent on the lower body and core and 30 percent of the workout hitting the upper body. Agassi starts with leg presses, doing five sets of seven to 10 reps with 150 pounds. For the quads he completes the same reps on the leg extension machine but with slightly heavier weight (200 pounds). He finishes with calf raises on a machine, five sets of 10 reps with 400 pounds.

CORE
Agassi does three sets of 10 squats with an 80-pound bar resting on his shoulders. "Squats are so good because they involve almost every muscle in the body," says Reyes. When he's not at home and able to use his customized pulley machine for his abs, Andre takes a 45-pound plate and holds it to his chest for five sets of 10 to 20 crunches. Reyes advises starting with a 10-pound plate, and once you can do 20 to 25 reps comfortably, adding 5 pounds at a time.

CARDIO
Agassi runs on hills outside his training facility for even more leg strength and cardio endurance. He does a 320-yard route eight to 14 times. Sometimes he goes straight up the hill or breaks it up into short sprints. Sometimes he goes backwards or sideways. If he's already played for two hours twice that day, he might skip this step.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cda/article/0,5507,s1-2---1973,00.html
-----------

Hmm.. bench pressing 315 pounds, but only lift 50 pounds for 7-10 reps in dumbell shoulder press?

Doing lat pull down with 200 pounds for 7-10 reps, but only lift 80 pounds in squat and only 150 pounds in leg press?

I don't think the writer (Amy Levin-Epstein) was accurate.

Mark Vessels
06-08-2007, 08:07 AM

Squats, :confused:

chess9
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Hmm.. bench pressing 315 pounds, but only lift 50 pounds for 7-10 reps in dumbell shoulder press?

Doing lat pull down with 200 pounds for 7-10 reps, but only lift 80 pounds in squat and only 150 pounds in leg press?

I don't think the writer (Amy Levin-Epstein) was accurate.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. It can't be right. Leg press is laughable! I do 350 x 8 at my age. So, yes, this is bull-loney.

I wasn't going to say anything, though, because Marius is the King of Quality Posts here. :)

-Robert

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-08-2007, 09:17 AM
mark vessels, squats with or without weight?
I don't want to use weight, since I probably have poor form and it will stunt my growth.

todd03blown
06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
interesting workout....

mrHan
06-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Ano, if you read the article, Agassi starts off the bench press at a weight up to 315lbs. Afterwards, he uses lighter weight. The writer did not mention what amount was the lighter weight.

As for the lat pull down, he may be doing 200lbs but it may be possible that the machine may have additional pulleys. Thus reducing the amount of force used to lift the weight by half.

summer
06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Would love to know Nadal's workout routine.

Marius_Hancu
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Yes, squats in any shape and form.

Bike riding.

Stairs.

Running uphill.

STRman
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Andre Agassi's Workout

Injury free?!!! I thought it was constant injury and unbearable pain that ended his career and made him pull out of tournaments. I'd run like Hell from that workout routine.

scotus
06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Injury free?!!! I thought it was constant injury and unbearable pain that ended his career and made him pull out of tournaments. I'd run like Hell from that workout routine.

Well, chances are Agassi got his sciatica from his weight-training. I got mine from doing one-legged squats called pistols. Martial artist Bruce Lee was paralyzed for a while from doing good mornings.

Ano
06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. It can't be right. Leg press is laughable! I do 350 x 8 at my age. So, yes, this is bull-loney.

I wasn't going to say anything, though, because Marius is the King of Quality Posts here. :)

-Robert

Yeah, right !! ;)

My max bench press is only 265 pounds, but I can easily do dumbell shoulder press with 55 pound dumbell in each arm for 10 reps.

I can do very strict barbell squat (thigh to parallel) with 225 pounds for 20 reps.

It's laughable if Agassi only used 80 pound barbell for squat. I'm sure Agassi was much stronger than me in every lifts.

ollinger
06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Agassi had recurring, and frequently severe, back problems and had to have wrist surgery, along with some lesser injuries. He has been unable to even walk at times without considerable pain. Tennis is unkind, and all that roadwork he did also predisposes to back and joint problems. My guess is that he has arthritis well beyond his years.

Fatmike
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes, squats in any shape and form.

Bike riding.

Stairs.

Running uphill.

What you think about running on a treadmill? Does using the treadmil inclined can increase leg strenght?

chess9
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Agassi had recurring, and frequently severe, back problems and had to have wrist surgery, along with some lesser injuries. He has been unable to even walk at times without considerable pain. Tennis is unkind, and all that roadwork he did also predisposes to back and joint problems. My guess is that he has arthritis well beyond his years.

Good points, but shouldn't that be mentioned in the article if true? Since all training must be done within our limitations, it strikes me as fatuous to present this article as somehow embodying Agassi's training except for a brief snapshot in time. Maybe ONE DAY'S training. I would much rather read the training journal of a top pro for one year, including all his injuries and treatments, including rehab. Andre WAS very strong at one point. I wish him the best as he was one of the all time greats and was great for the game, but let's not tarnish his memory with this kind of silliness.

-Robert

OrangeOne
06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Since all training must be done within our limitations, it strikes me as fatuous to present this article as somehow embodying Agassi's training except for a brief snapshot in time. Maybe ONE DAY'S training. I would much rather read the training journal of a top pro for one year, including all his injuries and treatments, including rehab. Andre WAS very strong at one point.

Yeah, I'm struggling to believe the listed program was representative of much. Personally, I'd think most of the leg work being done by most pros should be non-weighted power & endurance work, as opposed to in a gym.

Listed there are 150 reps in total across three exercises, at weird weights as pointed out. Just seems odd, and I can't see how it would transfer well to tennis goals.

Also leg press, leg extension & calf raises? Very odd mix, and kinda lacking on the hamstring front too. Add to that the fact that leg extensions don't translate well into any sports-based movement (and also risk knee safety). I also *really* struggle to think he was doing isolation exercises for 2 of the 3 leg exercises he chose to do. Where's the compound exercises?

(You know - at the extreme end it sounds to me a bit like someone looked at Agassi and said "he's got good calves, he wears shorter shorts so people see he has defined quads".... and then got someone to write a program based on that!)

Ano
06-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I'm struggling to believe the listed program was representative of much. Personally, I'd think most of the leg work being done by most pros should be non-weighted power & endurance work, as opposed to in a gym.

Listed there are 150 reps in total across three exercises, at weird weights as pointed out. Just seems odd, and I can't see how it would transfer well to tennis goals.

Also leg press, leg extension & calf raises? Very odd mix, and kinda lacking on the hamstring front too. Add to that the fact that leg extensions don't translate well into any sports-based movement (and also risk knee safety). I also *really* struggle to think he was doing isolation exercises for 2 of the 3 leg exercises he chose to do. Where's the compound exercises?

(You know - at the extreme end it sounds to me a bit like someone looked at Agassi and said "he's got good calves, he wears shorter shorts so people see he has defined quads".... and then got someone to write a program based on that!)

Are you saying close chained exercise like squats are safer than open chained exercise like leg extension?

If you are, that means we are on the same side. ;)

Sleepstream
06-14-2007, 11:26 PM
No deadlifts? :(

I think those and squats would be the most beneficial to any athlete for movement and speed. Of course, there are the power movements like the clean & press.

tricky
06-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Agassi's BTW my favorite athlete, because he used the gym as his fountain of youth. He's an example of an extreme makeover, a guy who makes a lifestyle change late in his professional career to outjock all the young dudes. And to hone his body for that one special skill, to beat the sheet out of any ball.

Just speculating, but since Gil Reyes was a strength coach at UNLV, I'd imagine he also emphasized periodization. So the guidelines we see may just be specific to that microcycle.

No deadlifts?

Yeah, I'm surprised there aren't any SLDLs there. Thinking it over, he may be describing one day of a push vs. pull split. Legs + upper torso (i.e. chest) one day. Lots of back, hamstring, and row work another day. Fairly typical split.

Ano
06-15-2007, 01:41 AM
Just speculating, but since Gil Reyes was a strength coach at UNLV, I'd imagine he also emphasized periodization. So the guidelines we see may just be specific to that microcycle.

Even in the microcycle (recovery phase) where Agassi only do low intensity training, it's still laughable if he only lift 80 pound barbell for squat. I still think that the writer was not accurate.

Don't you think so, pal ?

Sleepstream
06-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Even in the microcycle (recovery phase) where Agassi only do low intensity training, it's still laughable if he only lift 80 pound barbell for squat. I still think that the writer was not accurate.

Don't you think so, pal ?

It's laughable, indeed. But we don't know from which part of Agassi's life this routine originates. If he is already having back problems with this regimen, then putting too much weight on his shoulders would most likely escalate his problems.

Sleepstream
06-15-2007, 02:06 AM
One thing I also find ironic about this routine is:

Serving match after match can create a stronger right shoulder that overcompensates for a weaker left one when performing exercises in which both arms are moving the weight. The solution: using dumbbells to work the shoulders separately.

That makes perfect sense, but why wouldn't Agassi also use DBs for the bench press? Using a BB for the bench press, his right arm would still overcompensate for his left since the anterior deltoid (primarily used in the DB shoulder press) is one of the synergists used in the bench press.

tricky
06-15-2007, 09:41 AM

It looked like the routine based leg development around machines, and then added squats as a cherry on top. Yeah, I know, I'd fire my trainer if he recommended that. :D But I also wonder whether he was doing jump squats with that weight or something. Agassi at his peak had impressive quad development; his legs were like Chang's.

And I also agree with the speculation that his back might have been due to an accident in training. This happens with many pro athletes, especially when they do some extreme variation of plyo.

Using a BB for the bench press, his right arm would still overcompensate for his left since the anterior deltoid (primarily used in the DB shoulder press) is one of the synergists used in the bench press.

But but but . . . BB doesn't work the shoulder; it only works the inner pecs! You need tricep extensions to develop the horshoe part of your triceps, and you need lateral raises to develop HYOOGE shoulders! Ahh, it's good to be 13 again. :D

10sfreak
06-17-2007, 09:07 AM
It looked like the routine based leg development around machines, and then added squats as a cherry on top. Yeah, I know, I'd fire my trainer if he recommended that. :D But I also wonder whether he was doing jump squats with that weight or something. Agassi at his peak had impressive quad development; his legs were like Chang's.

And I also agree with the speculation that his back might have been due to an accident in training. This happens with many pro athletes, especially when they do some extreme variation of plyo.

But but but . . . BB doesn't work the shoulder; it only works the inner pecs! You need tricep extensions to develop the horshoe part of your triceps, and you need lateral raises to develop HYOOGE shoulders! Ahh, it's good to be 13 again. :D
Huh!? When did Agassi have impressive quad development? I've never seen any pics of him (or any other pro tennis player for that matter) in which he had good quad development.