PDA

View Full Version : serena jennifer

swisser
06-07-2007, 07:06 PM
what happend at the us open with capriati and serena

Arafel
06-07-2007, 07:16 PM
what happend at the us open with capriati and serena

In a quarterfinal match in 2004, with Serena up a set, and at 4-4 in the second, at 30-30 on Williams serve, the two got into a long rally. Williams pounded a backhand down the line that landed a few inches inside the line and was called good by the linesman, but for some unknown reason the umpire overruled it and called it out. Capriati had not even looked at the call, knowing it was good, but took the overrule. When questioned about it in the presser, Capriati made some excuse about how she wasn't sure and she had gotten bad calls against her before and felt she should play by the umpire's call. I'm not a Williams fan at all, but this call is one of the worst ever in the history of tennis. It totally changed the course of the match, and Capriati won in three.

Here's a youtube link to a video of the call:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S2oDnzcEkjs

Bones08
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
In a quarterfinal match in 2004, with Serena up a set, and at 4-4 in the second, at 30-30 on Williams serve, the two got into a long rally. Williams pounded a backhand down the line that landed a few inches inside the line and was called good by the linesman, but for some unknown reason the umpire overruled it and called it out. Capriati had not even looked at the call, knowing it was good, but took the overrule. When questioned about it in the presser, Capriati made some excuse about how she wasn't sure and she had gotten bad calls against her before and felt she should play by the umpire's call. I'm not a Williams fan at all, but this call is one of the worst ever in the history of tennis. It totally changed the course of the match, and Capriati won in three.

Here's a youtube link to a video of the call:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S2oDnzcEkjs

Great Write Up....I mean the call wasn't even close...I don't know what Mariana Alves was looking at but she clearly can't see.

kingdaddy41788
06-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Wow. That was pretty bad. I mean... really, really bad. Any umpire knows they have no business overruling a call on the other side of the court like that.

Swingin Richard
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Was that Drakulie in the umpires chair? Only a guy that hates Serena as much as he does could make that call. Wow.

theballboy
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
This was ALMOST as bad as the "phantom point" awarded to one of Venus's opponents durign a match, where the ump gave the other player a point for NO REASON during a tiebreak. It was inane.

LarougeNY
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
It always seems like its either serena or venus that get the bad calls at big points in a match. I remember wimbledon when she hit a shot that was even more in than this one and the umpire called it out, serena responded by saying "I know my shots, and that shot was in".
Can't believe that umpire is still ump-ing at grandslams. Sorry if that didn't sound right.

FuriousYellow
06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I remember that. Fortunately, Fat-triati was taken out in the next round by Dementieva.

If anything good came out of that, it was the introduction of the player challenge system so the players at least have some recourse available.

Maybe they should rename it to "Serena-Spot".:)

RafaN RichardG
06-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Was that Drakulie in the umpires chair? Only a guy that hates Serena as much as he does could make that call. Wow.
hahahah
he'd say "the rules say that the umpire can overrule the linesmen, so nothing wrong happened"

tkauffm
06-08-2007, 12:25 AM
I can't believe that happend. Too bad there wasn't any challenge system then, it could have easily been resolved.

Rhino
06-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah that was possibly the worst call I can remember seeing, quite incredible,

jelle v
06-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Wasn't there another horrible call in that match? A net-serve from Serena or something that was called out?