PDA

View Full Version : Improper stringing of Classic Mid (i.e., one piece stringing

OnyxZ28
09-28-2004, 11:17 AM
A Classic Mid just bought off of **** has one-piece stringing (two tie offs) as opposed to two, which is what Head specifies, should I cut these strings out, or is the frame not in any significant danger?

Jerry Seinfeld
09-28-2004, 12:18 PM
If an around the world method was used or if the mains end at head you should be fine.

OnyxZ28
09-28-2004, 01:15 PM
There are two tie-offs, oth on the mains, does that mean I'm OK?

JRW
09-28-2004, 01:16 PM
I haven't checked with Head, but according to the USRSA the Head Classic Mid can be strung one-piece, throat to head.

Gaines Hillix
09-28-2004, 04:01 PM
JRW is correct. There is no 2 piece pattern shown for this racquet on the racquettech website. Unusual for a Head frame, but correct on this one.

OnyxZ28
09-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Cool, thanks for the info!

OnyxZ28
09-28-2004, 09:25 PM
ANother question -- a LM Prestige Mid came in today, also strung one piece, tied off at the same grommets as the Classic Mid -- now I know the LM Prestige needs two piece stringing, so same Q, should I cut them out, or leave them be?

JRW
09-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Stringing the crosses on a racquet impropery will stress the frame while it's being strung. After it is strung it is no longer under the same stress, so playing with the LM Prestige Mid will not further hurt the racquet. Whatever damage that may have been done to it has already occured. The only time that you would really need to cut the strings out is if the poor stringing has caused the racquet to become distorted. Just make sure to request 2-piece stringing the next time you have it strung.

OnyxZ28
09-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks, JRW. I just kind of assumed that they knew what they were doing. You know what they say about assumptions... :oops:

AndyC
09-29-2004, 05:39 AM
To be fair (as Jerry has intimated) stringing one piece with an around the world method is fine. I routinely use an ATW variant for all the rackets I string if it's a non hybrid string job (which is just about everyone I do aside from my own where I use a hybrid gut/synth gut). I'm not aware that the stresses on a frame strung two piece (head to throat) is any less/more than an ATW pattern.

Does Head (or indeed any other manufacturer) have any stand on using an ATW pattern for their racquets where they specify a two piece stringing pattern?

JRW
09-30-2004, 03:17 AM
AndyC- The last I heard all the major racquet companies OK'd ATW stringing on their racquets except for Yonex.