PDA

View Full Version : Roger Federer: Read and follow this if you Want to Win the French Open, 2007

Mahboob Khan
06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
First of all I believe that young Serbian, Djokovic, has the required game and heart to beat Nadal on Clay. He has already done so on Hard and clay is different, but in the back of Nadal's mind this factor must be playing in his mind that afterall he was beaten by Djokovic. Djokovic has a good serve, good return, great ground game, and above all has a killer drop shot which is so effective on Clay. He moves well as well. So, maybe, Djokovic can do the dirty work for you.

Federer Vs. Nadal in the Final: Right now, please take care of your semi-final opponent, Davydenko. If you win, then keep the following in mind to play Nadal in the Final in case he clears Djokovic's hurdle:

-- I do believe that afterall you have found the winning formula to beat Nadal (Hamburg, Germany) and that is not to overly play his backhand.

When you are Serving: Serve wide to his BH and then hit the ball in the open court (his forehand).

Serve wide to his BH and then hit a wrong-footing shot (maybe 3 out of 10 times).

Serve wide to his FH (ad court), and then hit a big shot in the open court (his BH).

Serve wide to his FH (ad court), and then hit a wrong-footing shot to his FH (1 out of 10).

When he expects serve to his BH, hit a quick serve to his FH.

Also, hit a jamming serve in his body, close to his right hip.

When Returning Serve: Because he is a lefty, you will find more serves to your backhand, so be mentally prepared for this. The key is watch his body position on the court, and watch the toss, read and react to the ball.

When rallying with him from the Baseline: Do not overplay his backhand. Do not forget the fact that all the right-handed players hit more to his BH. His Forehand appears to be a great shot but let's not forget that his backhand gets more practice than his forehand which also means that his backhand is steadier than his forehand. When you hit to his BH, it better be close to the singles side-line. If your shot is a bit short and more toward the center, watch his insideout forehand. From this position, this is his best shot -- his insideout forehand! Also, when you hit to his forehand and your shot is less powerful .. a bit short .. watch his forehand down the line to your forehand.

-- After you have hit 2-3 quality shots to his BH including the one that is short/angular cross-court .. the one which pulls him wide onto his BH side, then hit the next shot to his forehand.

-- After you have hurt him with a quality/forceful/deep shot to his forehand, then go to his backhand. Do not be afraid of his forehand. If you want to expose his backhand side, you ought to pull him wide onto his forehand side. Yes, in such a situation, mind your own forehand side.

-- Playing Nadal, you must watch and be prepared for his best shots: His insideout forehand, his down the line forehand, and his sharp/angular cross-court forehand.

-- When you rally with him, keep him away from the center of the court. Yes, in some defensive situations it is o.k. to hit a high roller deep into the center of the court.

-- When he is pinned deep behind the baseline and you have a bit short ball to work with, well-executed drop-shot is a weapon against him. In such a scenario, use your dropshot as an approach shot and go to the net in case he would like to use his speed!

-- When you are Attacking: On a bit short ball, use a slice approach shot deep down the line to his BH and be ready for a volley. You have a great slice, great sense at the net, but you do not seem to be using this combination quite often against Nadal.

-- When you are defending (he is at the net): He has a reasonably good first volley but he seems to be lost for the second and third. If he does come to the net on a short ball, be ready with a (combination of) passing shot(s). Cross court or down the line pass? Well, this depends on his approach shot, his position at the net, and your position at the baseline.

-- Watch the ball, move well, and be mentally prepared for a long match.

Because you have beaten him on Clay in Hamburg although that was a 3-set match and this is 5-set match, this must be playing on his mind. So take advantage of this.

-- Since he thrashed Lleyton Hewit in the F.O. (though Lleyton was very close in beating him in Germany), you must know that this is French Open, and you ought to do each thing better -- serve better, return better, rally better, attack better, defend better, and that you should demonstrate more mental toughness.

Good luck. I will be waiting for results.

Nadal_Freak
06-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Now that Federer has found this thread he for sure will on Sunday. :D

Mahboob Khan
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Nadal Freak: I am glad you liked my post!

ShooterMcMarco
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Mahboob, is Aykhan posting from your account?

roysid
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Good job Mahmood Khan. I think Fed did more or less the same thing in Hamburg.

It would boil down who plays better that day.

The Gorilla
06-07-2007, 09:08 PM
why don't you coach at atp level mahboob?

bdawg
06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Let's not make fun of his post as I think it contains valid information. However, the biggest problem I see with Federer is his consistency. Nadal is consistent, relentless, and a beast on clay. He doesn't give away any service games, points, or too many unforced errors. He can simply keep the ball in the court and watch the opponent self destruct.

Federer can play an amazing set, and make Nadal look foolish (even on clay). However, he can't keep that level up so Nadal just weathers the storm- usually one set. I do think Federer has a shot if he serves about 60%, goes to the net often, and hits more flat. However this is easier said than done.

Fries-N-Gravy
06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
The thing with federer is he is so good when he's on. But he'll start playing like crap for about half an hour and thats when his opponent wins a set. Then he'll start playing safe and eventually back to his A game again. When he learns to concentrate he will stop dropping even a set. It seems in the GS finals he always plays his best in the first set, drops his play in the 2nd, rises again later to win, but never quite plays as good as the first set.

Kim
06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
I agree with Fries and Gravy and bdawg. Fed's problem with Nadal is his consistency. At his best, you can really see how good he is vs Nadal even on clay, but Nadal is just so consistent and as bdawg said just waits out and weathers the Federer surge or storm. But maybe he has the mindset this time to go all out till the final point, game, and set.

TheNatural
06-07-2007, 11:03 PM
You could have made that shorter:
a/ Get 75% of first serves in and do what you like with the weak return off the first serve.

b/ don't tremble

If plan a or b goes wrong, start praying

First of all I believe that young Serbian, Djokovic, has the required game and heart to beat Nadal on Clay. He has already done so on Hard and clay is different, but in the back of Nadal's mind this factor must be playing in his mind that afterall he was beaten by Djokovic. Djokovic has a good serve, good return, great ground game, and above all has a killer drop shot which is so effective on Clay. He moves well as well. So, maybe, Djokovic can do the dirty work for you.

Federer Vs. Nadal in the Final: Right now, please take care of your semi-final opponent, Davydenko. If you win, then keep the following in mind to play Nadal in the Final in case he clears Djokovic's hurdle:

-- I do believe that afterall you have found the winning formula to beat Nadal (Hamburg, Germany) and that is not to overly play his backhand.

When you are Serving: Serve wide to his BH and then hit the ball in the open court (his forehand).

Serve wide to his BH and then hit a wrong-footing shot (maybe 3 out of 10 times).

Serve wide to his FH (ad court), and then hit a big shot in the open court (his BH).

Serve wide to his FH (ad court), and then hit a wrong-footing shot to his FH (1 out of 10).

When he expects serve to his BH, hit a quick serve to his FH.

Also, hit a jamming serve in his body, close to his right hip.

When Returning Serve: Because he is a lefty, you will find more serves to your backhand, so be mentally prepared for this. The key is watch his body position on the court, and watch the toss, read and react to the ball.

When rallying with him from the Baseline: Do not overplay his backhand. Do not forget the fact that all the right-handed players hit more to his BH. His Forehand appears to be a great shot but let's not forget that his backhand gets more practice than his forehand which also means that his backhand is steadier than his forehand. When you hit to his BH, it better be close to the singles side-line. If your shot is a bit short and more toward the center, watch his insideout forehand. From this position, this is his best shot -- his insideout forehand! Also, when you hit to his forehand and your shot is less powerful .. a bit short .. watch his forehand down the line to your forehand.

-- After you have hit 2-3 quality shots to his BH including the one that is short/angular cross-court .. the one which pulls him wide onto his BH side, then hit the next shot to his forehand.

-- After you have hurt him with a quality/forceful/deep shot to his forehand, then go to his backhand. Do not be afraid of his forehand. If you want to expose his backhand side, you ought to pull him wide onto his forehand side. Yes, in such a situation, mind your own forehand side.

-- Playing Nadal, you must watch and be prepared for his best shots: His insideout forehand, his down the line forehand, and his sharp/angular cross-court forehand.

-- When you rally with him, keep him away from the center of the court. Yes, in some defensive situations it is o.k. to hit a high roller deep into the center of the court.

-- When he is pinned deep behind the baseline and you have a bit short ball to work with, well-executed drop-shot is a weapon against him. In such a scenario, use your dropshot as an approach shot and go to the net in case he would like to use his speed!

-- When you are Attacking: On a bit short ball, use a slice approach shot deep down the line to his BH and be ready for a volley. You have a great slice, great sense at the net, but you do not seem to be using this combination quite often against Nadal.

-- When you are defending (he is at the net): He has a reasonably good first volley but he seems to be lost for the second and third. If he does come to the net on a short ball, be ready with a (combination of) passing shot(s). Cross court or down the line pass? Well, this depends on his approach shot, his position at the net, and your position at the baseline.

-- Watch the ball, move well, and be mentally prepared for a long match.

Because you have beaten him on Clay in Hamburg although that was a 3-set match and this is 5-set match, this must be playing on his mind. So take advantage of this.

-- Since he thrashed Lleyton Hewit in the F.O. (though Lleyton was very close in beating him in Germany), you must know that this is French Open, and you ought to do each thing better -- serve better, return better, rally better, attack better, defend better, and that you should demonstrate more mental toughness.

Good luck. I will be waiting for results.

Mahboob Khan
06-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Great technical-tactical-physical-mental information is contained in this thread. You all did a great job except those who always like to joke at this TW Forum. Seriously, Don Hightower, President/TW, may like to alert the ATP and WTA to take advantage of this service.

austro
06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Better to keep posts shorter. I could not maintain the attention span to read this...

rwn
06-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Federer knows exactly what he has to do. The problem lies in the execution.
About the consistency: it's always easier for the defender to be consistent.
That's why in long matches with long rallies on clay, the defender often wins.
Federer has a chance, but it will be very difficult.

War, Safin!
06-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Or didn't Davydenko put it better: "hit ball, make winners" ? :D

sureshs
06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
First of all I believe that young Serbian, Djokovic, has the required game and heart to beat Nadal on Clay.

You are wrong already.

Now I will read the rest of your post.

sureshs
06-08-2007, 10:12 AM

I hope so too, but reality tells me that the winning formula was that Nadal was tired after playing so many matches, while Federer was fresh.

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Nadal is in Federer's head. Too much information for Federer to absorb. All Nadal has to do is hit as much topspin possible to Federer's backhand and wait for the error. Hamburg neutralized Nadal's topspin as it was dead clay. Nadal's backhand is more consistent than Federer's and that will be the key.

ShcMad
06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Nadal is in Federer's head. Too much information for Federer to absorb. All Nadal has to do is hit as much topspin possible to Federer's backhand and wait for the error. Hamburg neutralized Nadal's topspin as it was dead clay. Nadal's backhand is more consistent than Federer's and that will be the key.

I'm no Federer OR Nadal fan; however, if Federer keeps hitting his backhand against Nadal like he did against Davydenko today, he has no chance to beat Nadal.

sureshs
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM

So that they can learn: "Watch the ball, move well" ?

Nah I am just kidding. Mahboob is a great guy.

The Gorilla
06-08-2007, 10:40 AM

I actually wasn't joking.If you are the best coach in Pakistan, surely you could make it on the ATP Tour.I think your tactics are brilliant, far better than the one's Roche was offering him.Why in the hell would attacking the net work against Nadal, a player who hits unprecendented topspin and angles, can run everything down,has the best running forehand since Sampras and has as his practice partner the best serve and volleyer left on the tour,(lopez).Added to the fact that a slice approach would be completely ineffective against the 'slice killer'.

People look at the stats of his five set final in Rome and say, he won 45,(or whatever), points out of 60 at the net, and then say he needs to serve and volley and chip and charge.
Those stats are misleading.What actually happened was Federer finished off points at the net, that is to say that because rome is so fast, he was able to force short balls from Nadal,(although it wasn't fast enough for him to be able to hit outright winners), and so naturally, as he takes everything on the rise, he moved forward and swing volleyed them.

Plus, Federer is an inconsistant volleyer and only has an okay serve.
It would, in my view, be pitting his (very very relative), weakness against Nadal's strength.

ktownva
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
And if all of Mahboob's tactics do not work, resort to voodoo during the changeover.

Stinkdyr
06-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Listen and follow my instrux, Roger. For I am the true way......no other. You must drink lots of oj, I mean 5 litres a day. Focus only on the positives from your previous matches, speak not the negatives. Ignore your family and friends from now on. Deflect criticism from the Press. Repeat after me, "OMMMmmmmmmmmmm..."

d70
06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
funny post :p

Tennis_Nickmo
06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Fair enough, most of that makes sense, but what an absolute waste of time.

TENNIS_99
06-09-2007, 02:22 AM

haha. have to agree with this. I don't know how much it can help Federer but it will help me to win my local USTA tournament.

Mahboob Khan
06-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I am glad if this will help someone!

ShooterMcMarco
06-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I think I can use some of these strats :)

TheNatural
06-09-2007, 08:48 PM
if all that fails he should resort back to "hit ball, make winner"

I am glad if this will help someone!

Mahboob Khan
06-10-2007, 09:47 PM

What do you mean? Who wasted whose time?

J-man
06-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Just because Djokovic beat Nadal once on clay means he has a mental edge over Nadal? Djokovic will have to beat Nadal multiple times on clay before it's even in the back of Nadal's mind.

Let's just be honest one win does not give you a mental edge.

helloworld
06-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Just because Djokovic beat Nadal once on clay means he has a mental edge over Nadal? Djokovic will have to beat Nadal multiple times on clay before it's even in the back of Nadal's mind.

Let's just be honest one win does not give you a mental edge.

I don't get this post. Djokovic never managed to beat Nadal on clay in his life before.