PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball Shoe Debate

VictorS.
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
This is always an ongoing debate on this board. Are basketball shoes sufficient for tennis court play. Here are some key features of a typical tennis shoe: toe guard protection, herringbone pattern, breathability, lateral protection.

Now I've seen some shoes such as the jordan brand lowtop shoes that are specifically for outdoor basketball. these have herringbone pattern soles and an obvious toe guard. They probably lack the breathability that many tennis shoes have. However, despite not even trying these shoes on, i can almost guarentee that these shoes are far superior to 90% of the tennis shoes on the market today from a support standpoint.

Michelangelo
06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
But do you need the jump power from the basketball shoes to do slam dunk overhead (Sampras?) ?

Duzza
06-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Hmm debate eh.....
Against
- You look like an idiot
- Not ideal support
- You'll look foolish
- Much too heavy IMO

For
- hmm..

BreakPoint
06-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't think there's ever been much of a debate.

Tennis shoes for tennis
Basketball shoes for basketball

Why would you get basketball shoes to play tennis in when you can just get tennis shoes to play tennis in? :confused:

kalic
06-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Hmm debate eh.....
Against
- You look like an idiot
- Not ideal support
- You'll look foolish
- Much too heavy IMO

For
- hmm..

for:
-ankle support

idioteque
06-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Were Reebok pumps originally a basketball shoe? I've always liked the ankle support basketball shoes seem to provide. There aren't too many high-top tennis shoes out there at the moment are there?

Mad iX
06-08-2007, 03:32 AM
I only use Basketball shoes. Some are suitable for tennis, others not so much.
Depends on your preference. I like the extra cushioning and ankle support with a higher cut.
Only problem is durability, but the main reason I wear basketball shoes is because I can get them substantially cheaper than tennis, and for whatever reason, I don't like any of the tennis shoes out there atm.

muggy
06-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I think durability is a big issue, good basketball shoes and good tennis shoes aren't cheap these days, and the tennis shoes will last a lot longer.

Side support and stability is often better in tennis shoes, but I can see how some basketball shoes can be okay for tennis to a certain extent.

Voltron
06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
This is always an ongoing debate on this board. Are basketball shoes sufficient for tennis court play. Here are some key features of a typical tennis shoe: toe guard protection, herringbone pattern, breathability, lateral protection.

Now I've seen some shoes such as the jordan brand lowtop shoes that are specifically for outdoor basketball. these have herringbone pattern soles and an obvious toe guard. They probably lack the breathability that many tennis shoes have. However, despite not even trying these shoes on, i can almost guarentee that these shoes are far superior to 90% of the tennis shoes on the market today from a support standpoint.
I disagree, basketball shoes should never be used for tennis, for the reasons below.
Hmm debate eh.....
Against
- You look like an idiot
- Not ideal support
- You'll look foolish
- Much too heavy IMO
- They would probably scuff the court
- They aren't allowed at some clubs
- Voltron will make fun of you forever
- Like Duzza said, you look quite stupid in them
- Durability wouldn't be good
- You could get tennis shoes for the same price or cheaper

For
- hmm..
I added a few.

Voltron
06-08-2007, 07:46 AM
I only use Basketball shoes. Some are suitable for tennis, others not so much.
Depends on your preference. I like the extra cushioning and ankle support with a higher cut.
Only problem is durability, but the main reason I wear basketball shoes is because I can get them substantially cheaper than tennis, and for whatever reason, I don't like any of the tennis shoes out there atm. I'm surprised any clubs let you do that, besides, basketball shoes are inferior to tennis shoes during tennis. What don't you like? The awesome styling and the "not looking like a dumbass" vibe you get from them? http://www.banglacommunity.com/images/satellite/smilies/hahaha.gif

Mark Vessels
06-08-2007, 07:55 AM
poor traction, lacking ability to change direction a dime and slipperey on clay.

Great for achilles tendons, Plantar Fasciitis, and ankles.

Good durability unliike tennis shoes, look cool

http://www.onesweetpair.com/nikemenpics/108-0802_IMG.JPG

NebAce1
06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Basketball shoes are way too heavy.

staedtler
06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Tennis shoes are a tad more durable than basketball shoes, while bball shoes do have the ankle support. But both are very similar. That crazy chick who dresses funny, Bettanie Mattek, she wears basketball shoes sometimes like the Lebrons or some shox. Like Ive always considered most tennis shoes to be lowcut basketball shoes except with a little more toe durability. I know that Nike tennis designers Wilson Smith and Tate Kuerbis were designing Air Jordans before they decided to takeover in tennis. Although Wilson Smith started doing tennis then he got into Jordan, then back to tennis.

Personally I think the best shoe ever for tennis is the Nike Air Trainer 1s. They were these midtops that had a forefoot strap and it was worn by John Mcenroe. Awesome shoes.

VictorS.
06-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Tennis shoes are a tad more durable than basketball shoes, while bball shoes do have the ankle support. But both are very similar. That crazy chick who dresses funny, Bettanie Mattek, she wears basketball shoes sometimes like the Lebrons or some shox. Like Ive always considered most tennis shoes to be lowcut basketball shoes except with a little more toe durability. I know that Nike tennis designers Wilson Smith and Tate Kuerbis were designing Air Jordans before they decided to takeover in tennis. Although Wilson Smith started doing tennis then he got into Jordan, then back to tennis.

Personally I think the best shoe ever for tennis is the Nike Air Trainer 1s. They were these midtops that had a forefoot strap and it was worn by John Mcenroe. Awesome shoes.

McEnroe, Agassi, Wilander, and a ton of other players felt in the late 80s that the nike tennis shoes were not sufficiently supportive enough and went with a cross trainer. McEnroe to this day still wears the shoe I believe.

Voltron
06-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Good durability unliike tennis shoes, look cool Wrong, poor durability
Sorry, but no.

Mad iX
06-09-2007, 03:34 AM
I'm surprised any clubs let you do that, besides, basketball shoes are inferior to tennis shoes during tennis. What don't you like? The awesome styling and the "not looking like a dumbass" vibe you get from them? http://www.banglacommunity.com/images/satellite/smilies/hahaha.gif

I've never thought it was a big deal, as no one has ever seemed to notice in person. :confused:

zapvor
06-09-2007, 11:42 PM
i have tried basketball shoes for tennis. i have to say, basketball shoes can provide a lot of cushion. and the mids give good ankle support for lateral movements. but theres downsides. first, it is too heavy usually. 2nd, the sole is not designed for tennis court, and it wears out FAST. my Wade 1 had a huge hole on the bottom from playing for like 2 days. so durablitiy is a issue. also, the toe thing. tennis shoes have much better toe boxes. theres other stuff too, but these are fairly major. i would stick to tennis shoes on the tennis court.

pow
06-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I used to wear them for tennis and they always wear out too quickly in the soles and also by the toes where many tennis shoes (like barricades) has soles to cover it.

P_D
06-10-2007, 11:18 AM
What about running shoes?

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceM901BW.htm

I just played with these yesterday and they felt alot better than the Yonex Power Cushion 304R's. Alot easier to move around and the support felt good. Anyone see why this wouldn't be a wise idea?

Thanks

psamp14
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't think there's ever been much of a debate.

Tennis shoes for tennis
Basketball shoes for basketball

Why would you get basketball shoes to play tennis in when you can just get tennis shoes to play tennis in? :confused:

exactly....besides how can you go wrong with the quality, functionality, and looks of vapor's or breathe free's or barricades or whatever..:)

BreakPoint
06-10-2007, 12:46 PM

I just played with these yesterday and they felt alot better than the Yonex Power Cushion 304R's. Alot easier to move around and the support felt good. Anyone see why this wouldn't be a wise idea?

Thanks
Running shoes would be MUCH, MUCH worse than even basketball shoes for tennis. At least basketball shoes are also made to start and stop abruptly, for moving laterally and backwards and for pivoting on the ball of your feet. Running shoes, on the other hand, are made for moving ONLY in one direction - forward. They are not made for lateral movement nor backwards movement nor for you to stop suddenly. I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone wear running shoes for tennis. It's a broken or sprained ankle waiting to happen.

So it's quite simple:

Running shoes for running.
Basketball shoes for basketball.
Baseball cleats for baseball.
Soccer cleats for soccer.
Ice skates for hockey.
And tennis shoes for tennis.

There's a very good reason why they make specific shoes for each sport.

Spindarella
06-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I have played basketball my whole life and I'm used to basketball shoes, so I prefer wearing them. As far as durability is concerned, usually the toe doesn't last as long. But I wear the original T-Macs by adidas and they are more durable (and comfortable to me because I'm used to the extra weight and cushion) than any tennis shoe I have ever worn. Whenever I have played in tournaments, though, I have worn tennis shoes.

khd287
06-10-2007, 05:37 PM
There is no debate needed for this topic
Basketball shoes are for basketball and you look ridiculous with them on the court

harry2110
06-12-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks

i uesd a part of nike acg and ate thru the sole in about 1.5 hours but they did have a lot of traction.

Svenskpor
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
i used an old pair of nike basketball sneakers after I used up my last pair of tennis shoes. The ankle stability was great, but the sneakers felt too heavy, and I wound up wearing out the sole really quickly.

BiGGieStuFF
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Man some of you guys have no idea how good basketball shoes can be for tennis. The major issue is durability. Most basketball shoes were designed for hardwood floors thus the soles aren't as durable. There are some that are made for blacktops. As far as weight it depends on what type of basketball shoe you get. Some range from 14oz to 20oz. The heavier usually providing more cushion and support.

I feel a lot more stable in basketball shoes than I do in tennis shoes when making sharp cuts and jumping in the air and landing but the major issue is durability and a tennis shoe that lasts 6 months will get eaten alive out their on the hardcourt. Basketball shoes do not scuff the court either otherwise you'd have scuff marks all over the hardwood.

All my basketball shoes weigh less than my tennis shoes and I've gone through vince carters through the huarache line. The new VC's are heavier than the barricades but not by much while the huarache line is lighter than anything nike or adidas has to offer at a tad over 14oz.

For those that say you'll look stupid? Who cares if the basketball shoe works for you then use it.

Big Fed
06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Basketball shoes are fine except u look retarted and some might be a little heavy. But the traction wont last very long on the courts. But they can handle the lateral movement.

rqtguy
06-13-2007, 07:06 AM
I have used both, The proper fitting tennis shoe will avoid foot problems on the court, while Bball and running shoes will increase the probability of them ocurring much sooner!

elbuzzard_lives
06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
i had a pair of zoom air pippens that i used for indoor basketball for over a year...burned a whole through em in 2 hours on a tennis court. They performed well in both applications until they finally broke.

kalic
06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Another vote for BB shoes, stability, ankle suport, and heavy... Tennis shoes is like low cut 'all star' to me.

crazy8tiger
06-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I wear basketball shoes too, but that's because I am saving up for a nice quality shoe. My shoes are made for outdoor courts so they are ok on my local outdoor hard courts. They squeak a little too much, but they provide nice grip for me, although playing in them too much causes foot pain for me sometimes. So I would say it's personal opinion.

Voltron
06-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I've never thought it was a big deal, as no one has ever seemed to notice in person. :confused: Of course no one is going to say anything to you in person, unlike here, everyone isn't hiding behind a computer screen. :)

ayyhwang
06-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Bball shoes will work for tennis in terms of durability but running shoes will definitely not be good at all