PDA

View Full Version : The exact same Nadal, but right handed - how good?

bluetrain4
06-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Would it matter in terms of results?

Playing a lefty is always tricky. To me, the opponent loses a little bit of anticipation, unless they regularly play against lefties.

Obviously, general skills and competitive nature and willingness to fight are much more important, and Nadal has all of that to the Nth degree.

So, would his results be basically the same if he was right handed?

VAmazona
06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
I think he hits more winners because his forehand plays to peoples backhands. Granted, if he were right-handed it would be a two handed backhanded hitting to other backhands, but the range of motion is lost. As a righty, he'd be running a bit more since he'd have more balls returned. His serve might be better, and the same theory (at least in my mind) applies.

War, Safin!
06-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Would it matter in terms of results?

Playing a lefty is always tricky. To me, the opponent loses a little bit of anticipation, unless they regularly play against lefties.

Obviously, general skills and competitive nature and willingness to fight are much more important, and Nadal has all of that to the Nth degree.

So, would his results be basically the same if he was right handed?
Federer would have 13 Slams and Nadal would have none.

Zaragoza
06-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I think he hits more winners because his forehand plays to peoples backhands. Granted, if he were right-handed it would be a two handed backhanded hitting to other backhands, but the range of motion is lost. As a righty, he'd be running a bit more since he'd have more balls returned. His serve might be better, and the same theory (at least in my mind) applies.

Yes, and as a lefty forehands from his opponents usually go to his backhand. Did you forget that?
Nadal is actually a right-handed who learned to play tennis as a lefty and that is a great merit from him. Itīs amazing to have that forehand being naturally right-handed. I think thatīs one of the reasons why he can make so many passing shots with his two-handed backhand, because he is naturally a righty. I donīt think it would change things too much. How good would be other naturally right-handed players playing as lefties? That could be another question.

Moose Malloy
06-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Threads like this crack me up. Its exactly what many said about McEnroe 20-30 years ago.

I wonder if anyone questions if randy johnson would have 5 cy youngs if he was righty?

The Gorilla
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
you mean moya?