PDA

View Full Version : Players who've reached the FO final without losing a set

Moose Malloy
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Nadal is the first player to do so since 1994. Surprisingly, it wasn't an alltime great, but Alberto Berasategui(is jmsx reading this?), and he did not win the final.

Here are the other players:

Lendl, 1985(lost the final)
Vilas, 1982(lost the final)
Borg, 1981 (won)
Borg, 1980(won)
Borg, 1978(won)
Nastase, 1973(won)

Guess its pretty rare not to be pushed at the French. Good karma for Fed, the last 3 guys who reached the final w/out losing a set lost the final.

Nadal is also the first player to reach 3 straight finals since Courier '91-'93(and he lost the final in '93)

federerfanatic
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
No kind of karma can get my hopes up at this point. I have been thoroughly dissapointed in Fed's play in 2.5 of his last 3 matches. John McEnroe called Fed's forehand on several occasions commentating as the best shot in the game, and one of the best shots of all time. However you would never know that the way he is misframing it in his last 3 matches. His backhand was also clearly off in the last few rounds, but still doing better then his forehand, which is even more rare on clay. His serving percentage is way down, another of his biggest strengths not working. He is not moving that well since he is being lazier with his footwork then usual. He is struggling to return serve vs average clay court type serves, whereas he is usually one of the best returners who can return even great serves on fast courts very well. His net play has been too inconsistent to count on much help there. So basically overall I am dissapointed with everything about his play except his great mental strength, and winning out in all the important moments. I have no faith in his chances to win the final based on his play so far though. He just is not there.

I just hope he wins a set. I would hate to see Nadal win in straights. Fed is definitely not playing well enough to have any chance to beat him on clay at this event.

dh003i
06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
federerfanatic,

He had a bad match vs. Djoko, that happens.

His match vs. Robredo, except for the set he lost, was very good. Very dominating. If he plays like that and like he played at the Hamburg finals, he has a good chance of winning.

He was also just "scraping through" until the Hamburg finals.

Why do people continually doubt a guy who's shown that he can turn it on, and who's an all-time great and has the best GS performance (percentage wise) of anyone?

Moose Malloy
06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Here's some more trivia. Nadal & Fed have lost 1 combined set en route to the final. In the last 25 years these are the only slam finalists who lost that few amount of sets prior to the final:

1994 FO (Bruguera & Berasategui)

1993 AO (Edberg & Courier)

1983 US (Lendl & Connors)

Amazing how far ahead the field nadal & fed are.