PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Aramid and Kevlar?

Hyperstate
03-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Is there any significant difference between aramid and kevlar? Any tests done on these materials? What about your personal experience? Thanks!

Grimjack
03-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Technically speaking, the difference is that Kevlar is type (brand) of aramid. Think of aramids as the larger family, and of Kevlar as one member of that family. If aramids were apes, Kevlar would be a gorilla, for example, but there are still orang-utans, chimps, and humans out there.

If you want to get scientific about it, go here...

http://www.psrc.usm.edu/macrog/aramid.htm

From a playing standpoint, the only ones I've used have been Prince Pro Blend and Forten Aramid Gear. I thought they both felt kind of dead and unforgiving, but played better with the Aramid, perhaps because of the "gearing" giving me better bite on the ball. That's theory, though. Didn't ever play with either for more than one string cycle, because I didn't care for the feel.

Hawaii 5.0
03-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Kevlar is a brand name by Dupont for a certain type of braided arramid fiber while most other companies either get used of the name or used the term Arramid they are of similar type and contruction.

Loud
03-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Didn't Dupont revoke the right to use the kevlar name to reference tennis string? Doesn't all string of this type have aramid for the description now?

Hyperstate
03-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the answers, folks! Appreciate it :)

blackburne
03-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I think Dupont did something like that. You can't use their name Kevlar unless you have a license agreement or something like that. Who cares, Kevlar isn't that popular in tennis string anymore, all my customers prefer poly.