PDA

View Full Version : Agassi as an MLB slugger?

teedub
06-09-2007, 12:20 AM
How do you guys think Andre would have done as an MLB slugger? Personally I think he'd be way up there in the all-time count if he played MLB his whole life. Just a thought though. Your thoughts?

sloe_torture
06-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Andre would have been a well-coordinated 5'10" slap hitter like Ichiro. I'm sure both have the power or mechanics (at least, Ichiro) to hit the long ball but they're more effective as hitters that bat for average.

Deuce
06-09-2007, 12:43 AM
What on Earth would provoke such a bizarre thought?

Agassi would not have been a good ball player. His lack of volleying ability betrays this.
And, I don't know why, but something tells me that he'd throw like a girl.

I think he would have been a hell of a bowler, though.

forzainter
06-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Andre would have been a well-coordinated 5'10" slap hitter like Ichiro. I'm sure both have the power or mechanics (at least, Ichiro) to hit the long ball but they're more effective as hitters that bat for average.

he wouldnt have been as fast though

teedub
06-09-2007, 03:13 AM
What on Earth would provoke such a bizarre thought?

Agassi would not have been a good ball player. His lack of volleying ability betrays this.
And, I don't know why, but something tells me that he'd throw like a girl.

I think he would have been a hell of a bowler, though.

I don't know. I honestly do not know enough about the physical requirements a hitter should have. But I imagine that his extremely good eye sight, ungodly hand-eye and the fact that he's able to bench 300+ would point towards a pretty good ability to hit the ball out of the park. I understand MLB pitches are insanely fast and have some major spin, depending on the type of pitch, but I would imagine Agassi's superb hand-eye and eyesight to make up for it.

I don't see how his volleying ability comes into play here - reflexes? Andre may not be a great volleyer but I'm not sure that means it's because his reflexes are poor, considering if you serve a huge 130+ serve into his strike zone he's going to get it back pretty cleanly. In MLB that's what they do, they don't have the luxury of going to your left or right and taking advantage of Andre's shorter wingspan, they have to throw it within that box or try to curve it such that it seems like it will make it through the strike zone and force swing + miss. I imagine what is necessary to defeat a good pitch(er) is an ungodly eyesight and hand-eye coordination which I would say Andre has.

Again I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking others for their input, like I said, I'm not a big baseball fan, but those are my observations from watching some ball games.

And btw, let's try to limit it to JUST his ability to slug, rather than play in the outfield or as a baseman. Also, I imagine that being shorter, 5'11, would make his strike zone a bit smaller, bit more difficult to strike him out?

thoughts appreciated.

J011yroger
06-09-2007, 03:14 AM
he wouldnt have been as fast though

Nobody is as fast as Ichiro.

I thought about this a lot, I figured Agassi for a good fielding 2B, who could hit for average and a bit of power (15-20HR).

J

teedub
06-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Nobody is as fast as Ichiro.

I thought about this a lot, I figured Agassi for a good fielding 2B, who could hit for average and a bit of power (15-20HR).

J

This specific question? Or how tennis players in general would do in a sport like baseball?

J011yroger
06-09-2007, 03:52 AM
This specific question, a friend of mine, former tour player, and current head pro was telling me how so few tennis players come out of the northeast.

And my reply was that this was baseball country, so any naturally talented athlete would play baseball because that is what is popular here. Then I used Agassi as an example of a tennis player who would do very well in baseball.

I mean look at most of your superstars. A-Rod was an star forward, a star quarterback, and a star shortstop, he just picked baseball.

Tons of current European tennis players are/were phenominal soccer players.

J

J011yroger
06-09-2007, 03:54 AM
As far as your slugging theory, I don't see Agassi having great power numbers, I see him as more of a gap hitter. He just doesn't have the long arms or size.

J

Volly master
06-09-2007, 03:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsHTsEHnWE

enough said.

J011yroger
06-09-2007, 04:04 AM

enough said.

Swine Red Sox.

J

AAAA
06-09-2007, 04:35 AM

enough said.

what tv commercial is that for?

forzainter
06-09-2007, 08:10 AM
its for nike

armand
06-09-2007, 09:18 AM

enough said.LOL awesome, I've never seen that before.

AAAA
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
its for nike

thanks

joeyscl
06-09-2007, 09:48 AM
2 reasons why AA cant be a Baseball player:

1) He'll be waiting for the ball to bounce before hes gonna hit it
2) He's gonna be trying to hit it with his single-handed forhand

J011yroger
06-09-2007, 10:12 AM

1) Last I checked he had a pretty stout swing volley.
2) Not if he bats lefty.

J

herosol
06-09-2007, 10:35 AM
hmm i once read this about agassi i think on wikipedia that he went into batting cages and ran at the feeder to hit the ball that was going at like 95 mph+.

iono if thats real. but thats insane.

Deuce
06-09-2007, 09:46 PM
This specific question? Or how tennis players in general would do in a sport like baseball?
I don't know... but I played tennis with a couple of major league baseball players, and they were embarrassingly terrible tennis players.

Breakaz54z
06-09-2007, 09:56 PM

lol that'd be funny if someone tried to set up for a one handed forehand.

haerdalis
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't know... but I played tennis with a couple of major league baseball players, and they were embarrassingly terrible tennis players.

IMO it is far easier for a tennisplayer to play baseball than for a baseball player to play tennis.

Deuce
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
IMO it is far easier for a tennisplayer to play baseball than for a baseball player to play tennis.
Yeah... tennis seems to be the sport that pro athletes from other sports have the most trouble with.

I'm not sure, but I think that makes us all Gods.

tricky
06-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Agassi would be at least a great line drive hitter. The eye-hand of return service is not that different from baseball -- you still have to pick up different spins and such. The mechanics of the rotational home-run swing is not that different from the 2-handed BH.

Deuce
06-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Agassi would be at least a great line drive hitter. The eye-hand of return service is not that different from baseball -- you still have to pick up different spins and such. The mechanics of the rotational home-run swing is not that different from the 2-handed BH.
No... tennis really isn't that different from baseball...

sigh...

OrangeOne
06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah... tennis seems to be the sport that pro athletes from other sports have the most trouble with.

I'm not sure, but I think that makes us all Gods.

I haven't stopped laughing since I first read that :). I've been meaning to update my footer to be two-line-compliant for some time, any objections if that quote or part thereof makes it into my footer Deuce?

OrangeOne
06-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Funny / cool ad, but not what I was hoping it would be when I clicked on it.

I vividly remember seeing Agassi, I think early years, maybe in an instructional video, or an ad, or similar, tossing a golf ball in the air in front of him, taking a step or two forward and hitting it, cleanly, with a golf-club, 'baseball-style' out of clean air.

(I'm sure this was Agassi, well, 99.99% sure anyways, and I'm 99% sure it was a golf-ball and club. I seriously hope someone else remembers this, even if it's to correct my details if they need correcting :))

Edit: Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfTARgd8XBg

^^There's the proof that he'd do at least 'ok' at MLB, but it does turn out he didn't air-toss it but run up and hit it instead. Seems my memory exaggerated a little! :)

Deuce
06-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I haven't stopped laughing since I first read that :). I've been meaning to update my footer to be two-line-compliant for some time, any objections if that quote or part thereof makes it into my footer Deuce?
Be my guest.

Of course, as I'm sure you'll understand, in order to prohibit widespread abuse, I'll be forced to charge you .75 cents U.S. for every post you make where my quote appears in your 'signature'...

OrangeOne
06-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Be my guest.

Of course, as I'm sure you'll understand, in order to prohibit widespread abuse, I'll be forced to charge you .75 cents U.S. for every post you make where my quote appears in your 'signature'...

Deal! You'd probably be ok with it if I donate said .75c US (almost neatly 1c aussie) per post to my current charity-of-choice instead? It'd avoid messy international funds-transfer issues :)

Deuce
06-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Certainly.

Moose Malloy
06-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Agassi has been asked this before many times(I'll try to find an interview I remember not to long ago)

The gist of what he said, was its not hard to hit a 95 mph fastball in a batting cage because its coming straight at you(makes sense), but that he said he'd never want to face a major leaguer that can throw that fast & the ball has so much movement on it. He said that would be a scary experience, & that he was happy he chose tennis. I think he mentioned something about Randy Johnson.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
First my question is, slugger having played tennis first then switched to tennis, or tennis first then baseball? Tennis first then baseball, because he had the two hander and extremely short back swing, just to me, would be hard to convert the mind to the new motion regularly and solidly enough to be a major slugger. Body and swing memory would make it hard. I am simply a good player who could have been better yet injuries hit me early (knee surgeries), but I have a hard time going back and forth between the two sports, just because of the hitting aspect, and wanting to be one-handed. It looked rather stupid I'm sure, but then also I played baseball for the first time when I visited the US as a teenager.

armand
06-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Certainly.LOL that just made me laugh. The choice of word, the proper capitalization, the correct punctuation. 3 strikes and you're IN!

laurie
06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Adding a British dimension, the commentator Frew McMilliam always said Agassi would have been a great batsmen in cricket as he would have played fast bowling real well.

Swingin Richard
06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
In my opinion, baseball is much more difficult than tennis. There are many good tennis players among the general public, but baseball is so hard, they had to invent softball for the average guy.

stirallyracer
06-28-2007, 02:49 AM
from wikipedia:

"On the rare occasion that he charged the net, Agassi liked to take the ball in the air and hit a swinging volley for the winner. This requires exceptional timing and reflexes, which Agassi was famous for; he once entered a batting cage and hit 90 mph fastballs with a bat while running toward the machine."

Deuce
06-28-2007, 10:23 PM
from wikipedia:

"On the rare occasion that he charged the net, Agassi liked to take the ball in the air and hit a swinging volley for the winner. This requires exceptional timing and reflexes, which Agassi was famous for; he once entered a batting cage and hit 90 mph fastballs with a bat while running toward the machine."
... which means that he'd likely be well outside of the batter's box, thus qualifying him as nothing more than an out, regardless of the contact he may make.

Next subject...