PDA

View Full Version : Best approach player ever?

Big Boris
06-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Who is the best approach player ever? That is, best att transitioning from baseline play to the net and finish the point from there. Not finish the point with the goundstroke, and only go to the net just in case something come back. Could be divided into two cathegories:

A) Slice approach player

B) Topspin/No-spin approach player

tintin
06-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Who is the best approach player ever? That is, best att transitioning from baseline play to the net and finish the point from there. Not finish the point with the goundstroke, and only go to the net just in case something come back. Could be divided into two cathegories:

A) Slice approach player

B) Topspin/No-spin approach player

Federer no question

Andres
06-09-2007, 08:10 AM
I'll go with (In order):

1) Edberg
2) Cash
3) McEnroe
4) Rafter

Swingin Richard
06-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I'd say Dent, Malise, or Wheaton

pow
06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Federer...

Eviscerator
06-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Federer no question

Federer...

:roll: :roll:

EVER means in all the history of tennis. Granted Federer has a good transitional game, but in no way is he the best.

Ever heard of players like Laver, Kramer, Gonzalez, Rosewall, McEnroe, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, Becker, etc?
Try picking one of them and you might wind up being correct. :mrgreen:

The Gorilla
06-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I'll go with (In order):

1) Edberg
2) Cash
3) McEnroe
4) Rafter

I'd say

1)mcenroe
2)edberg

Pete Semper
06-09-2007, 05:39 PM
1)Edberg

2)McEnroe
3)Cash
4)Federer
5)Rafter

Shaolin
06-09-2007, 05:57 PM

EVER means in all the history of tennis. Granted Federer has a good transitional game, but in no way is he the best.

Ever heard of players like Laver, Kramer, Gonzalez, Rosewall, McEnroe, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, Becker, etc?

Nope. Still Federer. You cant leave ANYTHING hanging in the midcourt without him hitting a perfectly placed FH into the corner with amazing pace and spin, then having the ability to finish it with great touch at the net. His overhead is great too, as well as backhand overhead.

pow
06-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Yes, still Federer. :p

It's not like I picked Roddick.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
McEnroe and Edberg, but for different reasons.

I think McEnroe was supreme in the volleying department to finish a point.

However, I think Edberg was better in combination, because his serve was all about launching him immediately forward into the court, intent on the net. He was virtually there after completing his serve, stutter step then cut off the angle.

Federer has a great all around game, but the question was "Who is the best approach player ever? Not finish the point with the goundstroke, and only go to the net just in case something come back." Not, who was the best person who had set up the point where they can approach and finish with a volley, ie one more shot.

Straight out, Federer does not compare with others listed above in that department such as McEnroe, Edberg, Becker, Rosewall. I've watched them all in action, and not just on Youtube with preconceived opinions that a certain current player is the best in everything. Objectivity. Unbiased Opinion.

hoosierbr
06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Michael Stich. Accomplished baseliner as well as excelling at his natural serve-and-volley style.

Lendl had a good transition game but poor volleys. Same for Borg who was a slightly better volleyer, had to be in order to win 5 Wimbledons in a row (6 finals in a row) on much faster grass.

Edit: would also add Jimmy Connors.

fednad
06-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Stefan Edberg
John Mcenroe
Boris Becker

keithchircop
06-10-2007, 01:36 AM
EDBERG, who went to the net after every single serve since he was 7 yrs old.

Big Boris
06-10-2007, 02:12 AM
I think Federer's volley isn't that good. He misses rather many. But he has great hands on the touch/drop volleys, but not that good a bread and butter punch volley (or what ever one should call it).

Edberg could just hit a groundstroke wait a little for the other player to focus on the ball. Then all of a sudden come in and finish or set up with a first volley. His speed to the net was incredible and he could hit his volley from anywhere to anywhere. So Edberg = 1) speed to the net 2) great volleys.

I guess playing McEnroe you would get the ball exactly where you don't want it at a pace, not necessarily high, that you do don't want, and then he would punish you with that suberb first volley.

Cash: very hard to pass once at the net.

Becker: poor at transitioning. Good at the net. Good at the basline. But not transitioning enough?

Lendl: finishes the point in practice with groundstroke (forehand) and comes in just to put away what ever easy ball happens to come back.

And Stich - yes he was great - maybe for us non-pros to use as a model?

Any opinions?

What about: Connors, Noah, Ashe?

Big Boris
06-10-2007, 02:17 AM
And as goes for smart set ups, at least according to himself, maybe Brad Gilbert should be on the list.

"Pull him vide on the forehand /.../ Get him hitting his backhand on the run /.../ Camp down the alley."

Fedfan4life
06-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Uhhhh You guys left out Sampras.

diggler
06-10-2007, 05:05 AM
Navratilova

Eviscerator
06-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Nope. Still Federer.,,,the ability to finish it with great touch at the net.

Yes, still Federer. :p

It's not like I picked Roddick.

I wonder if you guys still feel the same way after watching today's FO final?:mrgreen:
It showed him to have a decent approach and net game but certainly not as good as the other greats mentioned.

Shaolin
06-10-2007, 03:15 PM
^^Yup I do feel the same way. Because I dont base my opinion on ONE match (vs the only player that can beat him on that one particular surface.)

I base my opinion on observing the last 3 years which were the most dominant on any player at any time (04-06), not to mention outrageously good performances in 03 at Wimbledon and the TMC.

Thanks for asking though.

35ft6
06-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Sampras had the best transition game I've ever seen, I think. Better volleyers in the open era, but the way Sampras would attack the net, the shots he would hit to facilitate that, much more explosive, way more variety, than other players.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I wonder if you guys still feel the same way after watching today's FO final?:mrgreen:
It showed him to have a decent approach and net game but certainly not as good as the other greats mentioned.

I thought the very same thing this morning. Federer shanked so many balls totally out of the court in the finals....my thoughts exactly after reading some comments on this thread. However with other things:

Stich was nearly as smooth as Edberg, with the serve launching him forth immediately to get to volley, yet I would put Edberg over him for the times Stich got it into his head he wanted to win from the baseline was more times that Stephen did, and the longevity factor, though I know Stich had a number of injuries to deal with. If you watch replays or have taped matches, his eyes were very alert, off hand ready on the racquet to swing it where need be. His reach was something most non-pros wouldn't be able to emulate but his style might be. Edberg's serve style was too extreme for most people to ever emulate although he was a terrific volleyer, without saying.

Cash was definitely a growler at net. Bulldoggish, very intimidating. Always moving forwards.

Lendl really couldn't be on the list in any way, although he is my favorite player of all time. He was not a natural volleyer who lived for the net. Approach shot? No. With his groundstrokes he pulled the players out of court and might finish at net, but that wasn't his total mentality.

Connor's groundstrokes were so penetrating, when he finally came to net it was virtually his point, and his volleys were solid. Remember that scoop forehand slice?

Noah was a wild man, brilliant, a style difficult to copy just because you have to have the personality and athleticism. Maybe watching Leconte might be a better ideal as far as Frenchmen go, although he also had the flair.

Noveson
06-10-2007, 04:45 PM
1) McEnroe
2) Edberg
3) Rafter