PDA

View Full Version : best way (w/o gym) to strengthen and develop calf muscles

lovin'it
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
female, 40+, no access to gym or weights, I do that lift up on your toes thing, but it doesn't seem to do much but make my ankle click!! thanks

aznobct
06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
not much else you can do really. usually i do them on one leg and wear my backpack with textbooks to add weight. actually the best exercise to do at home is probably stairs...it really helps build explosiveness on court.

RedWeb
06-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Find some hills or outside stairs (football stadium) and run them. But many people, including bodybuilders, have a very hard time overcoming genetically small calves. If you are successfully in building them up devote as much time as possible to stretching as well.

tricky
06-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Running up hills and on stairs works well, but at your age you may be wary of impact forces on your knees.

Jump rope is a terrific alternative. Similar effect on calves, but easier on your knees. Also if you can find a softer surface, say carpet or grass, effect is easier.

itsstephenyo
06-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I was lucky and blessed with large calves. My dad has huge calves (think double fist on your leg) and I got about half of that. I've never had the need to develop them, as they've always been there, but a way I've seen that really works is this. Find a curb or some place with a slight drop off and stand on it so your heels are over the gap. Take some weights (the backpack and books mentioned by aznobct is a great way) and then just do what you've been doing. Up and down but keep all your way on the balls of your feet and think about tightening up the muscles as you extend.