PDA

View Full Version : Best TV Coverage

Morpheus
03-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Anyone have any preference for the camara angles offered by various networks?

I watched a bit of the Roddick match yesterday and found that the close-ups prior to each serve were extremely annoying. I was trying to get a good view of Roddick's motion, but I couldn't because they kept showing his face then switching to full court once the ball was hit. They even showed just his shadow on one occasion.

Watching tennis these days is a little like watching figure skating from the waist up.

juu
03-15-2004, 05:51 AM
I hate the switching between angles in the middle of the service motion as well. And they do it every time. I cannot remember the last time I've seen a full service motion being shown on TV from any particular angle in its entirety.

It could be even worse if they always showed the players face, I guess.

Anyone knows why this is done and when did it begin?

Currahee
03-15-2004, 08:14 AM
The best angle was when they had the camera behind one of players. It was at about hip level and followed the player around the baseline. I just thought it was a great perspective to see.

gully
03-16-2004, 05:01 AM
To me, the best angle is lower: CBS's USO coverage always comes from too high above the court, where the perspective doesn't let you gauge one of the most important variables: height. USA's is better, as is ESPN's, but I too liked that moving-camera-six-feet-off-the-ground they tinkered with a few years back.

When the camera is around player height (or only slightly higher), it's incredible to see how much spin and work comes off the ball sometimes (Roddick's kick serve, for instance). And then the flat bombs are all the more impressive.

One of the fun things about being at the tournament is sitting down close enough to appreciate the spin and height. (Man, I wish I was back at IW this year!)

polakosaur
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
i hate that kind of stuff, but it happens in all sports broadcasting watch a soccer or hockey game and you'll see, thats why seeing games or matches in person are always better, you see the full scope of things, both from players with the ball and players without(team sports)