PDA

View Full Version : how is the best way to develop quick feet and quick hands?

kimba
06-10-2007, 02:25 AM
how do I develop quick hands and quick feet?

Phil
06-10-2007, 06:57 AM

You can't. You either have them or you don't.

ubel
06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Lies.

Just practice moving your hands and feet more quickly :D!

jfmcdowell357
06-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Learn to Box... :-)

The Gorilla
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
ladder .

Phil
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Lies.

Just practice moving your hands and feet more quickly :D!

The truth. And regarding your little "edit" comment, obviously YOUR post was completely worthless. Back to the drawing board with ye...

dommod
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
No, it is not truth. It is pessimistic response. Ask ourselves what do we mean and want by desiring quick feet and hands? Why, simply to move quicker around court, and to have better hand reflex to hit ball where we want it go, no?

I believe one is born with certain talent but hard work and training and practice can have measurable effects in these areas of intersest.

Do no listen to naysayers, OP!

Phil
06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
No, it is not truth. It is pessimistic response. Ask ourselves what do we mean and want by desiring quick feet and hands? Why, simply to move quicker around court, and to have better hand reflex to hit ball where we want it go, no?

I believe one is born with certain talent but hard work and training and practice can have measurable effects in these areas of intersest.

Do no listen to naysayers, OP!

Yes, spanky, it IS the truth. One can improve and become quickER, but having quick feet and hands is something one is born with-you cannot train a slow person to become "quick". I don't believe in sugar-coating the truth and giving people false hopes-that is a lot more damaging than telling them the TRUTH. Don't you think so, spanky?

dommod
06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Yes, spanky, it IS the truth. One can improve and become quickER, but having quick feet and hands is something one is born with-you cannot train a slow person to become "quick". I don't believe in sugar-coating the truth and giving people false hopes-that is a lot more damaging than telling them the TRUTH. Don't you think so, spanky?

I don't know this spanky term. Is this culture reference?:confused: Sorry...

I appreciate your opinion on matter of quickness, but respectfully disagree. I understand the OP desires to improve in these areas, and wholeheartedly believe he can do so through dedicated practice and working hard. Many example exist of athletes overcoming obstacles to accomplish.

Do not despair OP, but be ready for hard work!

Phil
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't know this spanky term. Is this culture reference?:confused: Sorry...

I appreciate your opinion on matter of quickness, but respectfully disagree. I understand the OP desires to improve in these areas, and wholeheartedly believe he can do so through dedicated practice and working hard. Many example exist of athletes overcoming obstacles to accomplish.

Do not despair OP, but be ready for hard work!

No athlete ever overcame being slow to become fast. One who is not quick cannot, somehow, become quick. Show hands cannot be made into "quick" hands. There are a HANDFUL of examples of athletes overcoming "obstacles to accomplish (sic)", but for the most part, pro athletes are born with a talent for their sport. Sorry if this truth hurts you, spanky.

Serve 'em hard
06-12-2007, 12:22 AM

By ignoring Phil, for starters. I see he's busy spreading his usual negativity and name-calling while failing to help you in the least.

Since there is no real definition or way to quantify what constitutes "quick hands" or "quick feet", what you are presumably asking is how do you develop quicker hands and feet than you have now. Someone mentioned practice and boxing and doing various drills, and I'm sure those things might help, and maybe things like losing weight if you are hefty or improving in other areas would help your quickness too.

I would try posting this question in the "Tennis tips and instruction" section and you may get some specific suggestions to help meet your goals. There are some smart coaches and teachers and other knowledeable sorts over there who could probably help you if they see your post, while most of the people who lurk around this section are old or sick.

Now, if you hurt yourself in your quest for quick hands and feet, THEN come back here...

Green Tea
06-12-2007, 12:51 AM
phil is probably one of the worst type of friends you'd like to have - not that you would even consider him to be...
don't listen to him, it's not hard to develop quick hands and quick feet. YES, people who naturally have fast hands and quick feet have an advantage, but since when has the most talented player (not most hardworking player) actually come out the best?
Boxing actually helps quite a bit for hands and for feet i recommend sprinting short distances - say 20m. Time yourself each time and try to beat it every time you do it

Phil
06-12-2007, 12:51 AM
By ignoring Phil, for starters. I see he's busy spreading his usual negativity and name-calling while failing to help you in the least.

Since there is no real definition or way to quantify what constitutes "quick hands" or "quick feet", what you are presumably asking is how do you develop quicker hands and feet than you have now. Someone mentioned practice and boxing and doing various drills, and I'm sure those things might help, and maybe things like losing weight if you are hefty or improving in other areas would help your quickness too.

I would try posting this question in the "Tennis tips and instruction" section and you may get some specific suggestions to help meet your goals. There are some smart coaches and teachers and other knowledeable sorts over there who could probably help you if they see your post, while most of the people who lurk around this section are old or sick.

Now, if you hurt yourself in your quest for quick hands and feet, THEN come back here...

Pot calling the kettle black. Only, I manage to do what I do much better and without having the entire board calling me a d-bag.

You CAN quantify quick hands and feet. Absolutely...By observation and results. Have someone stand at the service line and blast serves at you and you tell me how quick your hands and feet are...it can be done. To say that you cannot betrays your ignorance of the subject, but you manage to do that with every post you make.

One can become quickER, as I told the boy, but one cannot develop the proverbial quick hands and feet if one is not blessed with these from birth. There are a number of "quickness" drills on this and other sites, if one is inclined to look for them.

In the future, please refrain from giving advice here and stick to doing what you do...pushing the buttons of the adolescents on the board who don't understand your nasty streak for what it is (it sure isn't "humor").

Geezer Guy
06-12-2007, 06:53 AM

Quick feet: Be sure you Split Step an instant before your opponent strkes the ball. Be prepared to go in any direction from the Split Step, but also anticipate where your opponent is most likely to hit to. Chase down every stinking ball, no matter how far out of reach you initially think it is - you'll be surprised at some of the balls you get to.

Quick hands: Get a "reflex ball" and toss it against the wall and catch it on the fly. Work on tossing the ball harder and harder. See how many catches you can make in a row. (Split Step just before the ball hits the wall.) Don't do this in an area with breakables!

chess9
06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Without a standard reference, slow and fast have little meaning.

I understand what Phil is saying, but once you say that foot and hand speed have a large genetic component, you are in a difficult area. The truth is that SOME people can improve their foot and hand speed, depending on age, physical conditioning, eye focus issues, fear, etc. For instance, many kids will blink if you throw them a ball, and miss it. This is something that is very easy to correct and will improve hand speed and accuracy. I have seen my students miss balls because they will blink right before they hit it! Incredible stuff you learn by teaching.

Young kids can and do improve their speed. I was a 12 year old when I started serious running. I was a sprinter simply because I refused to run long. But, by the time I got into high school, my 100, 200, and 400 times had improved enormously. Nonetheless, despite running 53.2 for the 400 at districts, I didn't even make the finals! I never got any faster than that time, even though I was only 17 at the time. Could I have gotten any faster? Maybe I could have dropped close to 50 with great training, health, and the best coaches, but guys were going under 51 on cinder tracks at age 17, so I knew I didn't have the talent (read, genes) to be a top track athlete. Wisely, I stuck with tennis, where I was just as mediocre but had a lot of fun. :)

So, can you get faster? IT DEPENDS....

-Robert

LuckyR
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM

Well, yes and no. True you cannot increase actual hand or foot speed much (assuming you are already in shape and uninjured etc), but in reality most of what we call "quickness" is actually anticipation. There are plenty of folks with no true great footspeed who are functionally "quick" on the court because they take-off for where the balls is going before someone else who has a lot of footspeed and get there before they do.

Anticipation is obtained by better observation of patterns and visual (and sometimes audible) cues as to the intention of the other guy.

Definitely something that can be improved.

Phil
06-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Without a standard reference, slow and fast have little meaning.

I understand what Phil is saying, but once you say that foot and hand speed have a large genetic component, you are in a difficult area. The truth is that SOME people can improve their foot and hand speed, depending on age, physical conditioning, eye focus issues, fear, etc. For instance, many kids will blink if you throw them a ball, and miss it. This is something that is very easy to correct and will improve hand speed and accuracy. I have seen my students miss balls because they will blink right before they hit it! Incredible stuff you learn by teaching.

Young kids can and do improve their speed. I was a 12 year old when I started serious running. I was a sprinter simply because I refused to run long. But, by the time I got into high school, my 100, 200, and 400 times had improved enormously. Nonetheless, despite running 53.2 for the 400 at districts, I didn't even make the finals! I never got any faster than that time, even though I was only 17 at the time. Could I have gotten any faster? Maybe I could have dropped close to 50 with great training, health, and the best coaches, but guys were going under 51 on cinder tracks at age 17, so I knew I didn't have the talent (read, genes) to be a top track athlete. Wisely, I stuck with tennis, where I was just as mediocre but had a lot of fun. :)

So, can you get faster? IT DEPENDS....

-Robert

What Chess and Lucky said...probably along the lines of what I SHOULD have said, but me being me...;)