PDA

View Full Version : Edberg once hit a linesman...

keithchircop
06-10-2007, 01:37 AM
"Edberg was involved in a freak accident during the boys' singles final at the 1983 U.S. Open, when Richard Wertheim, a linesman, was struck in the groin by a ball struck by Edberg. Wertheim fell backwards, fracturing his skull, and died in hospital shortly thereafter." (from Wikipedia)

didn't know about this.

Duzza
06-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah I saw that in the top 10 most shocking tennis events ever :(

keithchircop
06-10-2007, 03:13 AM
do you remember any of the other nine?

diggler
06-10-2007, 03:41 AM
Seles stabbed.

Nadal wears long shorts.

Sanchez Vicario does a strip.

keithchircop
06-10-2007, 05:06 AM
hahahahaha

xshilinx
06-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Seles stabbed.

Nadal wears long shorts.

Serious on Nadal and sanchez??

Duzza
06-10-2007, 06:11 AM
I recall Henman hitting a ballgirl being there too.

lilxjohnyy
06-10-2007, 06:57 AM
any one got a video

suwanee4712
06-10-2007, 08:57 PM
"Edberg was involved in a freak accident during the boys' singles final at the 1983 U.S. Open, when Richard Wertheim, a linesman, was struck in the groin by a ball struck by Edberg. Wertheim fell backwards, fracturing his skull, and died in hospital shortly thereafter." (from Wikipedia)

didn't know about this.

I remember somebody told me that about 15 years ago and I refused to believe him.

The Gorilla
06-10-2007, 09:04 PM
maybe this is why he was so restrained on court.

diggler
06-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Henman got defaulted. I think it was for the incident above.

Sampras once fell down and a ball rolled up his shorts (Wimbledon I think). He asked the ballboy to retrieve it. This is not very good given a former coach of his went down on sex charges.

Add that to the list.

Gundam
06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Henman got defaulted. I think it was for the incident above.

Sampras once fell down and a ball rolled up his shorts (Wimbledon I think). He asked the ballboy to retrieve it. This is not very good given a former coach of his went down on sex charges.

Add that to the list.

Huh? Who was it? Was Tilden Pete's coach?

Andres
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
So basically... Edberg murdered a linesman with his kickserve :p

Sampras did what to who's racquet? Rafter's ?

Baaah, WUSS! :lol:

pennc94
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM

That is just wrong

Joe Average
06-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Add that to the list.

Yeah, that was Dr. Pete Fischer, Sampras's first coach. He was an amateur player, never a professional. Sampras's father approached him, at a tennis court, and asked him to hit with his son ... who might have been like nine at the time. Dr. Fischer did and was so impressed he decided to coach Sampras. The relationship lasted about ten years. Fischer is credited for getting Sampras to switch to a one-handed backhand, and for teaching him to serve and volley. He also instilled in him an adoration for Laver. Sampras first hit with Laver when he was 11 years old. Anyway, Fischer, a pediatrician, years after they parted ways, was convicted of molesting some of his patients. He served time in prison. I think he coached Justin Gimelstob and Alexandra Stevenson, for a while.

Sean Dugan
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Note to Self: When calling lines for Stefan Edberg always protect your groin region. ;O)

Farreaky!!!!!

keithchircop
06-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Yeah, that was Dr. Pete Fischer, Sampras's first coach.

okay but it goes without saying that no ball boy was ever asked to retrieve balls from sampras's shorts.

drakulie
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
^^^ at Wimbledon against Fed or Agassi Sampras slipped and the ball went into his shorts. The ball boy came over and Pete jokingly motioned to him to retrieve the ball. It was all done very jokingly.

keithchircop
06-14-2007, 02:20 PM
was that behaviour deemed controversial amongst conservative idiots?

glad to see yoda back.

Now, I'd left home just a week before,
and I'd never ever been a Jedi before.
But Obi-wan, he set me straight of course
He said, "Go to Yoda and he'll show you the force!"

recognize this?

drakulie
06-14-2007, 02:26 PM
The fans that day got a kick out of it. Sampras was just having some fun. You know how the ball boys are supposed to approach players that have fallen, and offer them help or get their racquet for them? When this kid approached Pete, he made a comment to the kid, and the kid had a look on his face like WTF?? He didn't know what to do. Pete immeidately got up, and the ball fell out of his shorts.

Nah, where is that Jedi line from?

By the way, strung up my Radical Trisys 260 MP, and hit with it for about an hour>>> man is that racquet sweet. I had forgotten how good that frame is.

keithchircop
06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
By the way, strung up my Radical Trisys 260 MP, and hit with it for about an hour>>> man is that racquet sweet. I had forgotten how good that frame is.

great. seems like you had the same reaction of Chris from TW. i'm still waiting for a heavily discounted LE to appear on the big auction site.

where is that Jedi line from?

it's from "Yoda", a Weird Al Yankovic parody of "Lola" by the Kinks.

BTW how had you found the Suspension Grip on the Prestige Tour?

drakulie
06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Great racquet, that suspesnion grip really does an excellent job making the hits feel softer, and taking out the vibration, but I enjoyed the classic more. I like the raw feel. The suspension grip also make the racquet feel a bit flexier, although it may just be the way the racquet feels at contact.

You mentioned Christ from TW. Did he recently hit with a trisys 260 mp?

Jack the Hack
06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
You mentioned Christ from TW. Did he recently hit with a trisys 260 mp?

drak, was that a typo, Freudian slip, or were you just sucking up to Chris? ;)

drakulie
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
^^^^ LOL. typo>>>> I think. :)

keithchircop
06-14-2007, 03:05 PM
that suspesnion grip really does an excellent job making the hits feel softer, and taking out the vibration

I recently had it strung with a full poly. the SG really takes out a big portion of the discomfort.

You mentioned Chris from TW. Did he recently hit with a trisys 260 mp?

according to head the LE is "an exact replica of the original Radical used by Agassi in 1993". when chris playtested the LE for 3 weeks in November 2006 he fell in love with it. The TW team gave that 1993 re-issue the best set of combined scores ever.

drakulie
06-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Oh, ok. Your post confused me , because I hit with the original mid plus (from early 90's), not the LE Oversize version. I though you meant Chris from TW recently hit with the same racquet as me ...Thanks for clearing that up.

keithchircop
06-14-2007, 10:01 PM
i misread. thought you hit with the OS. my bad.

diggler
06-15-2007, 06:44 AM
The fans that day got a kick out of it. Sampras was just having some fun. You know how the ball boys are supposed to approach players that have fallen, and offer them help or get their racquet for them? When this kid approached Pete, he made a comment to the kid, and the kid had a look on his face like WTF?? He didn't know what to do. Pete immeidately got up, and the ball fell out of his shorts.

Nah, where is that Jedi line from?

I'm a schoolteacher. If I asked a young boy to retrieve a tennis ball from inside my shorts, that would be real funny.

drakulie
06-15-2007, 06:50 AM
As a school teacher,

1. Why would you be wearing shorts;
2. why on earth would you have a ball mistakenly go into your shorts?

Hmmmm. I worry about our educational system.

Sup2Dresq
06-15-2007, 06:59 AM
As a school teacher,

1. Why would you be wearing shorts;
2. why on earth would you have a ball mistakenly go into your shorts?

Hmmmm. I worry about our educational system.

See Drak, I can see a ball rolling in your shorts. Heck I can see a bus rolling in there, you and your MC Hammer shorts.

Drak -hammer- ulie

keithchircop
06-15-2007, 08:13 AM
See Drak, I can see a ball rolling in your shorts.

i prefer not to imagine balls in shorts, but that's just me. whatever turns you on, Sup.