PDA

View Full Version : Fed's wicked cross court backhand!

Lambsscroll
06-10-2007, 05:48 AM
I've never seen him hit it with such an acute angle. Niice!

Fedfan4life
06-10-2007, 05:57 AM
I just can't understand why he don't wanna slice the goddamn ball.

Punisha
06-10-2007, 05:58 AM
its not so much he couldnt but on clay he just wasnt consistant nuff to compete with nads. Now he slices less and uses a consistant top spin backhand

Fedfan4life
06-10-2007, 06:15 AM
he could use it as a approach shot. he would've won the first set 6-2

Mad iX
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, he was hitting it nicely. Too bad Nadal was always waiting for it with his forehand ready to whip it right back again.

Attila the tennis Bum
06-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I've never seen him hit it with such an acute angle. Niice!

I've never seen him make so many unforced errors.

aznspongehead
06-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I've never seen him make so many unforced errors.

Yeah I know. The best part of the match for me was when Federer hit that one backhand winner. I think that was his only one during the entire match... the commentators even said "yeah, that's Federer's wheel-house."

luckyguy
06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
his backhand was good...but his forehand let him down.

what i dont understand is that...he's been playing rafa for so many times now...and rafa is still using the same tactic to him yet he cant really adapt well to it..

BreakPoint
06-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I just can't understand why he don't wanna slice the goddamn ball.
Me, neither. I think slicing down the line to Nadal's two-handed backhand would have forced a lot of errors from Nadal.

drakulie
06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah I know. The best part of the match for me was when Federer hit that one backhand winner. I think that was his only one during the entire match... the commentators even said "yeah, that's Federer's wheel-house."

Not counting volleys, he hit 9 winners off his backhand side.

Fedfan4life
06-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Well well see what happens next year, Breakpoint. :neutral:

aznspongehead
06-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Me, neither. I think slicing down the line to Nadal's two-handed backhand would have forced a lot of errors from Nadal.
There were a couple of points where Federer hit a slower shot and Nadal jumped all over it. Wouldn't slices give Nadal slower shots to jump over? I mean, its not like the balls would skid really low on clay... I'm convinced that Federer seriously considered slices before the match, and decided to hit as little of those as possible for that reason.

Thanks btw drak. I guess I just really commited that one beautiful backhand to memory.... to me it was kind of a lousy match from Federer. Too many errors, forced or unforced... It's probably the high bouncy shots, but the Federer today seemed not NEARLY as dominant as usual on rallies.. seemed like he was mostly responding to Nadal.

BreakPoint
06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
There were a couple of points where Federer hit a slower shot and Nadal jumped all over it. Wouldn't slices give Nadal slower shots to jump over? I mean, its not like the balls would skid really low on clay... I'm convinced that Federer seriously considered slices before the match, and decided to hit as little of those as possible for that reason.

Nadal will eat up slices hit to his forehand, so you don't want to slice to his forehand side nor down the middle where he can run around and hit his forehand. The time to hit the slice is when you're in a crosscourt rally with him with him hitting forehands to your backhand and with him parked in the ad court on his forehand side. That's when you hit the backhand slice down the line because Nadal needs to run over there to cover it and won't be able to run around it to hit his forehand. You force him to dig up the slice with his two-handed backhand on the run and I think that would have been difficult for him to do consistently, thereby, forcing lots of errors.

Fedfan4life
06-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Yes but as you can see what happened today. Nadal mostly camped at his backhand side to run around it easily. If you guys remember the match with Gonzalez at the Aus open, he sliced alot of his backhand crosscourt to Nadal. I just wish that Federer should've took note of that.