<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

<spoiler alert>

Congratulations to Rafael Nadal for his 3rd straight FO. A great match. Congrats to Fed for his 8th finals appearance, and for playing some pretty good tennis at times (esp 2nd), and doing what he needed to do in the 2nd set, playing some great aggressive tennis.

He just didn't play well at all in the 1st set, and overall had too many UEs off his forehand to win. I think that hurt him a lot in the key breakpoints.

Federer still has more time (Agassi won his FO at 29, right?). To beat Nadal, he has to play the way he did the 2nd set the entire match. He's a fit guy, and is very fast. I still doesn't see anyone else beating him on clay. Still had a great clay-court season.

But credit to Nadal, he played great solid tennis the entire match, and was exceptionally tough in saving break-points. Unbelievable. And an unbelievable clay-court season.

Interesting note: In last year's Wimbledon final, and this year's FO final, Nadal and Federer, respectively, were the only one's preventing Federer and Nadal, respectively, from winning the slam without losing a set.

kirbster123
06-10-2007, 12:24 PM
lol... Nadal was pulling off amazing shots, but then again Fed was mis-hiting alot

AAAA
06-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I was hoping Federer would win but the surface and head to head score was against him. Maybe next year will be third time lucky for Federer.

psamp14
06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
dh003i you're a great sport, i will respect you more than some other posters here who just boast and bash federer/nadal

federer has time, but very little,..at most 1-2 years left for a good shot at winning the french

federer still had a good clay court season, and made record 8th consecutive slam final, likely to extend it to 10 by year's end....but a lot of us tennis fans wanted to witness federer history with the "grand slam" today...

dh003i
06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
failure makes success all the sweeter when it comes...

How long did it take Goran to get Wimby?

Psamp14,

Thanks for the compliments. I agree that the window is closing, although I don't think as rapid as you (Agassi won it late in his career); maybe us tennis fans also have to wait longer for witnessing history of the kind Federer's capable of making as regards to GS.

But Nadal also made a piece of his own history today, with 3 FO's in a row, the most since Borg. How much more satisfying -- for both fans and Federer -- is Fed finally won the FO over a truly all-time great clay-court player like Nadal?

ACE of Hearts
06-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Roger's game will not decline.He doesnt waste as much energy.I think he has 3 years left in him to win it.The next 2 are big.26 and 27 years old is not old.

psamp14
06-10-2007, 12:57 PM
ace of hearts is right....federer's style of play is very sampras-like...very efficient...he'll be a factor at all the slams until he retires, but for the french open, its got to happen in the next 2-3 years

its just statistically that previous winners ages are like 26 and younger or something...very few over 26 to win the title

dh003i
06-10-2007, 01:05 PM
psamp14,

What do you think is the most important thing Fed needs to do coming into next year to win the FO?

psamp14
06-10-2007, 02:37 PM
psamp14,

What do you think is the most important thing Fed needs to do coming into next year to win the FO?

i'm not a coach and i dont have any professional opinion of any kind, but i think federer needs to grow up mentally....because on clay, nadal looks ten times stronger

he needs to get it through his head that his purpose in the history of this sport is to win the french open and complete the grand slam...he needs to further improve his footwork, timing, overall fitness, and most important of all, create a fire inside himself...show some positive body language

he hit so many balls right back at nadal when he could have easily hit the shot with less pace into the open court for a winner...especially those laser forehands at nadal's backhand.....i dont know if its pride or stubbornness for federer...nadal will just flick the ball crosscourt for a winner

if its emotion that federer needs to win, then show it...pump your fist after winning a long rally, converting a crucial break point, or winning a set

i mean sampras was great, he's the GOAT in my mind, but his game wasnt suited to win on clay....thats the only difference between federer and sampras right now...they both dominate/dominated but have not won the french open...

but federer's game is more of an all-court/all-surface game than sampras' was...and federer isnt utilizing that talent he has...if he doesnt win a french open it wont be that nadal beat him all the times he made it to the final....it will be that federer lost those french open finals....at least in my opinion it will be